Cheap Dip Station

Options
BigT555
BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
I've been looking for a cheap alternative to a full power tower since i've switched to an at home bodyweight routine and all i can come up with is a door frame chin up bar, which works fine, but is seriously lacking in the dip department. I was thinking of just getting some gymnastics rings and tying them to the door frame bar but I'm not sure how stable that would end up being. I think I'm just going to wait for someone to give up on their resolutions and hope for a bargain but I'd prefer to be able to do some full dips for the time being, as opposed to just the little ones that the door frame bars allow you do from the ground.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Two saw horses, or build your own out of pipe or wood. Not very expensive or hard. Probably tones of plans online.
  • BigT555
    Options
    i dont have much space though, just one bedroom since i live with 4 other guys. I've looked into a PVC one that was also collapsible but then i saw a pic of someone who built it and it snapped when they were using it, nasty stuff
  • BigT555
    Options
    bump
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Two chairs the same height (or chair and a sofa), two tables (which I use when at home), two of pretty much anything the same height that will support the weight.

That assumes, of course, that you are trying to use them like a parallel dip station, as opposed to chair/bench dip.

To follow onto Chaelaz's post, I made a pullup bar for home with 1" galvanized steel pipe, a few elbows, and a couple of flanges. I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much. I guess it's probably important to note that I own my house, so I didn't need permission or anything. You could easily do the same for your dips at home. Keeping it steady while performing the dips would be the hard part, as you probably wouldn't want to screw the flanges into your floor. Maybe use a couple of buckets, put the legs into them, and then fill with sand or concrete?
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My husband and I built this one - it took maybe a couple of hours to build and was relatively inexpensive. Not quite the $20 the guy says - but definitely under $40. Very sturdy.

youtube.com/watch?v=p2qxFrDP
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got 2 metal folding chairs for about 20 bucks at home depot, works great. Get you a strong wooden/metal bar and you got you an inverted row station as well!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Two chairs the same height (or chair and a sofa), two tables (which I use when at home), two of pretty much anything the same height that will support the weight.

I did this and I will just remind you to counter balance whatever you use so it is stable. I had one chair fall in once. Not fun.