I Quit Smoking

Options
I was browsing through the success stories looking for some motivation and inspiration when I came across a post by ewhip17 and what must by now be his famous quote, "I spent 10 years starting tomorrow. Start today."

What a great life story! I was extinguishing my latest cigarette at the time, but his post got into my head and I thought, how true, I'm starting today.

I quit smoking at 16:44 on Tuesday 6th January 2015 with 6 cigarettes left in the pack. It's been a whole hour!!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Good for you! cold turkey is how I quit smoking too :) I know you can do it.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You can do it, one hour, one day at a time. I quit 4 years ago and am so very glad! Hang in there, it is tough, but so worth it! <3
  • Raykels
    Raykels Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Well done!

I quit smoking 5 years ago for a year, then stress caused me to restart. Then quit again for four years, smoked socially (only on a night out, so once every few months) but the craving was getting bad so started eating way too much ...so now I vape :-)

Good look, always here for moral support for you!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Good job. I quit smoking cold turkey a long time ago and have never gone back.

Here is a tip to "beat the cravings" that you might get: CHANGE YOUR HABITS. I believe smoking is more a habit than an addiction. I knew a gal who went through a program to quit smoking and it was all about changing your habits. For example if you get up in the morning and the first thing you do is have a cigarette, do something else. Take a shower instead. Go for a walk. Make your coffee. Another thing that they had to do was pick one spot outside and that was the ONLY place you were allowed to smoke regardless of the weather. That helped her to quit because she said that when it's bitterly cold out it takes a long time to finish one cigarette.

You can do this. You really can. Just try changing some of your habits and the next thing you know you'll have gone an entire day, then a week, month etc. without a cigarette and you won't even miss it. :)
  • debrini71
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words guys.

I have quit smoking 5 times in the past, with each of my babies - I did it for them.

This time I am doing it for me so I'm kind of without a cause. At the moment I'm taking each hour as it comes...
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    debrini71 wrote: »
    I was browsing through the success stories looking for some motivation and inspiration when I came across a post by ewhip17 and what must by now be his famous quote, "I spent 10 years starting tomorrow. Start today."

What a great life story! I was extinguishing my latest cigarette at the time, but his post got into my head and I thought, how true, I'm starting today.

I quit smoking at 16:44 on Tuesday 6th January 2015 with 6 cigarettes left in the pack. It's been a whole hour!!

That's awesome and good for you!
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    debrini71 wrote: »

Good for you ~ giving up smoking has to be one of the best health and fitness goals a smoker can make, so I hope it all works out for you.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have given up 8 weeks tomorrow Yay! I am using patches tho, no cold turkey for me. The very best of luck!
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Keep us updated:) congrats
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I had my last around 10pm on Jan 1. Like you, I've tried quitting countless times in the past. I'm on the patch and so far, so good.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I quit (again) two weeks ago. There have been some rough patches, I'm used to having one in the morning, or when I get in the truck to go somewhere. And I would have one when I was bored or craving food, whatever. Or being around someone who is a smoker.

I don't remember how many times I've quit. I think this is try 4 or 5. Last time I started again it was the "I can have have one" syndrome. Big mistake. If I want to stay quit, I have to know that I can never just have one again.
  • DrewsAnna
    DrewsAnna Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good job. I quit smoking cold turkey a long time ago and have never gone back.

Here is a tip to "beat the cravings" that you might get: CHANGE YOUR HABITS. I believe smoking is more a habit than an addiction. I knew a gal who went through a program to quit smoking and it was all about changing your habits. For example if you get up in the morning and the first thing you do is have a cigarette, do something else. Take a shower instead. Go for a walk. Make your coffee. Another thing that they had to do was pick one spot outside and that was the ONLY place you were allowed to smoke regardless of the weather. That helped her to quit because she said that when it's bitterly cold out it takes a long time to finish one cigarette.

You can do this. You really can. Just try changing some of your habits and the next thing you know you'll have gone an entire day, then a week, month etc. without a cigarette and you won't even miss it. :)

Perfect advice right there, I quit 15 mos ago and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made!!! I used to drink coffee and smoke cigarettes till it was time to start my day!! Instead, I spent that time on the computer doing what ever, (there's no smoking in the house ever) till it was time to go and that is still what I do unless I'm sick.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Congrats! It is really hard to quit.

I quit many years ago...I have lost count now. I think maybe 7ish years ago. I joined a boot camp class and running stairs while smoking was death to me. HAA Now the smell of it makes me sick to my stomach.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    On a year myself; keep tabs on your eating habits and keep your fitness goals. Will help with any weight increase you might experience. The 'craving' will be there for some time yet but hang in there.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on October 6th. 2 days after my wedding. The first 4 days were HELL but my husband was very supportive and talked me down each time I wanted to cave. After the first 4 days, each day after got a little easier. It's been 90 days and I still get the occasional craving but if I do, I use a vape.

I get a lot of crap for the Vape. It didn't replace cigarettes, I don't use it daily, only when I get a bad craving.
  • debrini71
    Options
    UPDATE - just over 24 hours and still not smoked!

Thanks for all of your kind words of encouragement, and the advice I will definitely be taking.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Debbini71! Keep on going :smiley:
  • gzl5ry
    gzl5ry Posts: 3
    Options
    Awesome! I quit 4 months ago. Don't be afraid to use an aid like gum or the patch if you need to. I quit before this once for 3 months cold turkey and it was brutal for me. This time I'm using gum and it has been far easier.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    27 days smoke free for me!! You can do this!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I smoked for a week in college, went home and couldn't swim a lap - probably more because I had been a couch potato at college, but I blamed it on the cigarettes and stopped right there.

Congratulations and good luck. I think ultimately, cold turkey is the way to go.