Female looking to gain muscle

Options
Hiya I'm hoping to gain muscle this year and I'm struggling with diet.
I know I have to eat a lot of calories etc but what foods do you suggest me to eat in order to gain muscle as fast as possible?

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It is not easy for women to gain muscle. Sure diet can help in terms of nourishing your body, but it won't help you pack on the muscle. A protein rich diet is good, but if you are looking for muscle, the only way you'll build it is to look at a strength training program.
  • jessicabeacom
    jessicabeacom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training for a couple of months now.
    I am getting into the way of it now, knowing my potential lifts and the correct form etc.
    I'm busting my *kitten* in the gym and don't want my progress to be sacrificed because of my diet yano?
    I know it will take a while for me to see a change in my body but I want to do everything I can to help me build :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There's no special food, just more food. Calorie surplus while strength training will get you where you want to be :)

IIFYM.com is a good guide for getting your macros down and suggested surplus etc.
  • jessicabeacom
    jessicabeacom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much guys
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is helpful! You can find workouts and help with diet on there.
    What should you eat? CLEAN EAT and LOTS Of PROTEIN... Heres an idea of what your aiming for

0.7 to 0.8 grams per pound of body weight or 1.5 to 1.7 gram per kilogram of body weight. If you are heavier than you would like to be, use your ideal body weight to calculate your caloric needs. For example, a 135-pound woman would need 95 to 108 grams of protein daily for muscle building.
  • FitBoy_TheHero
    FitBoy_TheHero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also, on the weight training, I found that the most efficient method for me was recording my weights during my workouts. This will help you always work to your potential.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    eat in a surplus.
    lift all the things.
    rest.

lather.
    rinse
    repeat.

:edit- 1.)there is no "fast" with building muscle- you're talking months.
    - and 2.) there is no right food- there is only a surplus. if you aren't in it- you aren't gaining.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The awesome thing about bulking (aka eating to gain muscle) is macros don't matter as much. Yeah, they are still relatively important, but the crux of bulking is calories. You need a surplus of calories to build muscle mass.

Iifym.com (like 3laine75 suggested) is a good place to look.
    The group "Eat, Train, Progress" on here is another good place to get info.
    ETA: or you can get an idea from any of the numerous TDEE calculators out there on the interwebs.

Once you figure out your calories, you can play around with what you eat. It's hard to "eat clean" when you need to eat a surplus of calories. Most people who bulk, eat realtively healthy but they also have additional treats (dessert every night, full-fat dairy, treats in the middle of the day, etc.), which makes it sooo much easier to hit your calorie goal.

As a woman, your muscle growth will be slow going. It will happen with lots of food, time, and lifting heavy though, so don't give up when it seems like nothing is happening.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far, just wanted to add... it will be hard mentally. Be prepared for the scale to go up. Be prepared to want to eat less when that happens. When I first started I found this article by Jay Waldron particularly helpful:
    strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners
    Good luck!

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat " a lot" of calories. I'm not a fan of dirty bulking. Start with 200-300 calories above maintenance. And slowly adjust from there.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm currently consuming on average 2300 calories per day and lifting heavy *kitten* weights 4-6 days a week. It works for, just keep your calories in surplus.