Recumbent Exercise Bike

Options
My mother's physiotherapist told her to get a recumbent exercise bike for the next stage of her physiotherapy.

If you have one, can you tell me what brand it is and weather you like it or not.

Choosing can be difficult.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you have a cheap no-contract gym near you, you'd probably be better off signing her up for that rather than buying a recumbent bike. They can be expensive for decently built ones, and unlikely worth the price unless it's something she can see herself doing long term even after the physio.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    This may not work for everyone or with all exercise bikes, but I've converted my 1980s era Tunturi exercycle into a recumbent by putting a plastic Adirondack chair with pillows behind it. Works well enough. But, yes, as owner of two exercise machines that serve mostly as ballast, I'd recommend a gym as the much cheaper option.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you have a cheap no-contract gym near you, you'd probably be better off signing her up for that rather than buying a recumbent bike. They can be expensive for decently built ones, and unlikely worth the price unless it's something she can see herself doing long term even after the physio.

^this

Quality bikes (and most fitness equipment for that matter) are ridiculously expensive. Cheap/affordable equipment can be frustrating to try to use.

(These same rules apply to musical instruments too...but that's another forum on a different site.)

Ultimately, if you're set on buying one for the home, go to a store/gym and try them out...especially the most expensive ones you can find. Compare all others to these.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My mother's physiotherapist told her to get a recumbent exercise bike for the next stage of her physiotherapy.

If you have one, can you tell me what brand it is and weather you like it or not.

Choosing can be difficult.

I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion for you but I"m guessing that your mother joining a gym is not an option - and I find it frustating that's the first thing people are suggesting. While the bike may be expensive, it is also expensive to join a gym, and if she doesn't have way of getting there every day, then what? I personally like reading reviews on Amazon, have you tried there?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have a very inexpensive recumbent bike - got it at Sears; it's the Exerpeutic 900XL. It's only about $150.00. Google it - it's received a lot of good reviews. There are more expensive ones - I know Schwinn makes a good one - but you will pay a lot more.
  • cali_flower
    cali_flower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately we live way out in the country, and my mother won't be able to go to a gym every day.

The physiotherapist has a nice recumbent exercise bike that Mom uses while she is there, but that's a professional one, designed for physiotherapists - not one we can buy ourselves.