Is spinning good for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Anything that creates a calorie deficit is good for weight loss.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I like spin classes. I am not doing it for the weight loss but doing it for fun.
    I am in a caloric deficit to lose weight (eat less than I burn), everything else is for fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    I have to say, I think claiming that exercise makes you gain weight because it makes you pig out and not count your calories might be the stupidest claim of all time.

But it does happen, quite a bit. a lot of people training for a marathon tend to gain a little weight. But if you count calories and pay attention to what you are doing then it can help you lose fat.

You gain weight if you eat more than you burn. Period end of story. You do not gain weight because you exercised, no matter how much you exercised it did not cause you to gain weight ever ever ever no matter what.

You don't gain weight because of an exercise, but I have found that I do better losing weight when I'm just working out and keeping things light to moderate...when I'm training for a century as an example, I'm always hungry and I'm always worried about recovery and performance far more than I am about weight control...it is not unusual for me to put on weight while training for a century...not because of the bike obviously but because despite needing 3500 + calories per day just to maintain, it never feels like enough...I'm always famished when I'm training.

I actually had my best weight loss when I was doing nothing more than walking everyday...it was easy to keep my diet in check and I wasn't overly hungry or tired and not at all concerned with proper recovery. I think a lot of people actually do better keeping their exercise at moderate to light levels during weight loss..maybe that's what the article was getting at and the OP is just misinterpreting it or something.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I think claiming that exercise makes you gain weight because it makes you pig out and not count your calories might be the stupidest claim of all time.

But it does happen, quite a bit. a lot of people training for a marathon tend to gain a little weight. But if you count calories and pay attention to what you are doing then it can help you lose fat.

You gain weight if you eat more than you burn. Period end of story. You do not gain weight because you exercised, no matter how much you exercised it did not cause you to gain weight ever ever ever no matter what.
    No one said it did. But it can make you feel hungry and if you succumb to the hunger you may end up eating more than maintenance and will gain weight.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I go to spin class once a week. I like it b/c it's a great cross trainer and much easier on my knees than running. It's too cold and dark to get outside and run right now. So I replaced spinning with running. I'm running in a relay marathon in April, I'll start running outside in March when it's a bit lighter outside.

I also like the resistance aspect of it because it helps slim my legs down some. I'm never going to have super small legs b/c of genetics, but I can combat genetics a little with this form of exercise.

I never thought I'd like spinning, but I do love it. It makes a great addition to everything else I do.

OP, to make a long story short, if you like spinning. Keep spinning. Do things that you are going to stick with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Also, as far as indoor cardio goes, spinning is fun as all hell...I much prefer to be out on my bike, but sometimes it's just too cold this time of year and a good spin class is in order.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    here's one of the stories: http://www.today.com/health/your-spin-class-addiction-may-be-reason-youre-gaining-weight-2D11899301

Looks as though the claim was made based on people who spin every day.I don't want to do that, but am interested in spinning related weight loss success stories.

Did I seriously just read "exercise makes you fat"?

Wow... Maybe articles like this are why there is an obesity problem...

That said... it is not uncommon for people to train for an Ironman and not lose anything, or gain a few pounds despite the approx 400 hours of cardio you have to do to get ready... It isn't hard to over-fuel for long cardio sessions if you aren't paying attention.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Any form of exercise can lead to weight gain if you totally overestimate your calorie burn and eat back way too many calories - this certainly isn't unique to spinning. However, exercise can help keep you from overeating depending on your personal motivators and/or triggers. For me, exercise really helps with weight loss because it is my go to strategy for dealing with stress. There are many days that I would have stuffed my face with comforting junk if I hadn't headed to the gym after work instead. I also feel more confident and happy and don't turn to food because I'm feeling down on myself. In terms of motivators, when I spin and weight train the muscle gain is something I feel good about I also want to see (and frankly have others notice) my muscle definition. For this I know I need to loss weight/fat. Therefore if I want to not see the full benefits of my hard work I also need to ensure I watch what I eat. I don't necessarily think these positive "spin-offs" (pun intended) of exercise help with a calorie deficit for everyone but it works for me.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I used to not like my puffy quads, but now I'm trying to make them bigger. I've been thinking about spinning, but really, I'd have to eat more to build muscle.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I spin three times a week and have for close to 10 years because I enjoy it so much. Best exercise for my time. ( I also, lift, golf, do zumba and HIIT). Spinning didn't cause me to gain weight-eating too much food did that. Likewise, spinning didn't cause me to lose weight. Getting my eating under control did that. What it does do is help me improve my cardiac conditioning, strengthen my legs and give me a ton of extra calories to eat.

If you like it do it. We have people of all shapes and sizes in our spin classes. If you want to lose weight, count your calories and eat at a reasonable deficit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

No one said it did. But it can make you feel hungry and if you succumb to the hunger you may end up eating more than maintenance and will gain weight.

The title of the article is "spin class is making you gain weight".
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If it wasn't for spinning and a 500 calorie a day calorie adjustment I would still weigh almost 300 lbs!! I now weigh 186- I have friends who do spinning two days a week and sweat their bodies off and lose nothing!! My 2 cents- You need to restrict calories and train more than two days a week to be in good physical/cardio shape. I lost so much size in my legs from spinning but they are cut beyond belief and as a martial artist at 186 lbs my flexabilty is so much better than having large quads.. I average more than 450 miles a month so the weight gain statement is BS 4me.

You can't blame exercise for over eating?? WTF
  • ruby1867221
    ruby1867221 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Will it help with hip toning?
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, do it. I guarantee it'll help you lose weight more than sitting on the couch will. As many others have stated, weight gain or loss depends only on what you put into your body. If you eat too much, you gain. If you eat at a deficit, you lose. It's not rocket science, and I think that an article like that should not be read by anyone, because it's just silly internet fluff.
  • Zigzag245
    Zigzag245 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello fitness board. I recently started shedding some weight gain, and what do you think is a good calorie deficit for someone that is 5'3"? I do spinning at home. Is working out every day okay? I'm also taking OTC diet pills, and they are really helping me stay away from snacking, etc.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Zigzag245 wrote: »
    Hello fitness board. I recently started shedding some weight gain, and what do you think is a good calorie deficit for someone that is 5'3"? I do spinning at home. Is working out every day okay? I'm also taking OTC diet pills, and they are really helping me stay away from snacking, etc.

In order:

1. There are approximately 100 million sites on the internet that will figure out what your calorie deficit needs to be for someone of your age, height, and weight. Coincidentally, MFP is one of them. Enter in your height, weight, and age and your goal weight and it will tell you how much you should be eating. It tends to be a poor estimate, but it will do for now while you're learning about how to lose weight effectively.

2. It depends on the exercise. Spinning is probably fine to do every day.

3. Drop the diet pills unless you want to put all the weight right back on as soon as you stop taking them. Learn how to eat to keep yourself satiated so you aren't reaching for food all the time instead.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    If I had spinning classes available in a convenient location and at a convenient time, I'd be there at least once a week.

Unfortunately, I've only tracked down a few classes in my general area, in inconvenient locations and usually held about 5 pm, which is way too early given that I get off work about 5:30 pm and can't get there until at least 6:30 pm. :(

So I ride my trainer at home.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't do classes (of any kind, not my thing...) but do use a Spinning bike for training in my lunch break - it's a great workout and as hard as you want to make it. Really good for interval training and standing cycling with its heavy flywheel and stability. Get some proper cycling shoes if you really want to push yourself.
    Helps keep my fitness levels up over the winter when I can't get outside to cycle.

As regards diet and weight loss success - I'm far more successful with keeping a moderate calorie deficit while eating lot's of food and exercising a lot as compared to the same calorie deficit eating small amounts of food and not exercising much.