Paleo??

Options
Anyone have any feelings on eating Paleo? I've been searching online and getting mixed reviews.. I can get used to getting rid of processed but greens?!? Or any beans?!? Friend me:) I'm always looking for and love giving support!!

Replies

• CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Paleo forbids peanuts, so it's not for me i'm afraid; came here to tell you there's a fantatic Paleo community over on tumblr (tag #paleo) it crosses over to the keto tag a lot.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I need carbs for energy. Without carbs my lifts suffer.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think it's got some good ideas that aren't unique to paleo, such as eating minimally refined foods. I think the food restrictions it has are silly, and consequently I don't like it.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I kinda think it's a fad diet. Just eat at a healthy deficit and you'll lose ;)
  • CloudyMao
    edited January 2015
    Options

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods; I would say it's got a lot more attention recently with popularity, but it's been around a long time | kind of like keto.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You can't eat fruit either, can you? That would put me off of paleo
  • CloudyMao
    Options

Fruit is totally paleo, but potatoes aren't nor peanuts. :(
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods

Technically a mixed salad is considered "processed" foods.

I'm on board with tossing out refined foods and overly processed foods. But no cheese and no whole grains? Screw that noise.

• CloudyMao
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods

I'm on board with tossing out refined foods and overly processed foods. But no cheese and no whole grains? Screw that noise.

Yeah that's why I threw those quotes in, whenever someone points that out I'm like "cooking" "cutting" "washing" I hate that term.

Give up cheese? you're having a giggle mate. I'm lactoseintolerant & that still is not happening. Gimmie dat sweet brie.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Fruit is totally paleo, but potatoes aren't nor peanuts. :(

oh ok. I could live without potatoes and nuts. But would probably crave them if I knew I couldn't have them :|

• DjinnMarie
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think it's got some good ideas that aren't unique to paleo, such as eating minimally refined foods. I think the food restrictions it has are silly, and consequently I don't like it.

This.

If it comes in a box or bag don't eat it. (Except for whole grain pastas and breads) If "cooking" involves just heating it up, don't eat it. Most of your food should need to be refrigerated or frozen.
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods;

There's a lot more to Paleo than just tossing processed foods - and not eating processed foods is hardly unique to Paleo. I tend to agree that a diet that forbids whole grains, legumes, and all but a small amount of fruit seems pretty fad-y. It gets points for getting people onto whole food, but the basis of it (that we know precisely what cavemen ate, and that their diet was optimal) is rather specious.

• CloudyMao
    Options
    What to eat on Paleo (taken from ultimate Paleo Guide)

* Grass-fed meats
    * Fish/seafood
    * Fresh fruits
    * Fresh vegetables
    * Eggs
    * Nuts
    * Seeds
    * Healthy oils (olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

See that all sounds wonderful, but no dairy, no potatoes, no grains or refined sugars of any sort. :(
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Yeah that's why I threw those quotes in, whenever someone points that out I'm like "cooking" "cutting" "washing" I hate that term.

Give up cheese? you're having a giggle mate. I'm lactoseintolerant & that still is not happening. Gimmie dat sweet brie.

Without cheese what in the hell would I eat with my wine? Shiiiit.

The basics of paleo are good. But like another said, it's not unique to paleo. Eat fresh food, cook more, move more.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Paleo+diet+meme.jpg
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I found this lecture interesting. Claims VS Evidence

http://www.nsca.com/videos/conference_lectures/the_paleo_diet_claims_vs_evidence/
  • CloudyMao
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dfargher wrote: »
    I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods;

There's a lot more to Paleo than just tossing processed foods - and not eating processed foods is hardly unique to Paleo. I tend to agree that a diet that forbids whole grains, legumes, and all but a small amount of fruit seems pretty fad-y. It gets points for getting people onto whole food, but the basis of it (that we know precisely what cavemen ate, and that their diet was optimal) is rather specious.

Agreed, I don't like the idea of completely removing certain foods. Processing and agriculture has been wonderful for us & I don't think I could go without a baked potato with cheese.

(Yeah, removal of entire foods is quite fad-y | glad it's not something like that cabbage diet though, that whole fad can stay in hell)
  • CloudyMao
    Options

I love me a good lecture, pls let it contain peer based studies.
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've read about Paleo and the "whole30" and have really considered it, not really for weight loss but for help with other health problems that people have seen improvement in by going Paleo. I haven't tried it though, so everything I'm about to say could be completely wrong.

It seems like a large undertaking for someone like me who eats a lot of the restricted foods, and I know I'm not ready to commit to it yet. I see it (and most of the people who do it from what I've seen) as a lifestyle, not a plan or diet, and that to me requires a lot of preparation and willingness to change.

You can certainly lose weight on a less restrictive way of eating, so if that is your only goal then I would find something less intense.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Def not for me I could not live without oats rice and peanut butter.