Going vegan!

Options
2»

Replies

• Georgiawoollin
    Georgiawoollin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It seems like it would be 100x easier in a tropical country but being in the UK is going to be a challenge, I try to go to organic food markets as much as possible
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Going vegan, or vegetarian, is not for me, but as long as it works for you then have at it!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    there are a ton of UK vegans, I myself am in Southern California, so i'm super lucky.

if you have a faceboook I suggest joining the group What Fat Vegans Eat. It's a group with just pictures of yummy vegan foods and where you can get it.

And being vegan is not necessarily a good way to lose weight, you tend to cook more, and experiment...I lost 10 pounds originally and then gain it all back and then some.
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My Doctor recommended a specific diet for me that is vegan, it's a high-carb low-fat diet. It's based off the diet described in "The Starch Solution". I did it for 4 months last year and lost 40 lbs, the only reason I stopped was I got pregnant and started being lazy with my diet. I was vegetarian during my pregnancy and now that my baby is 5 months old I've decided to switch back to the vegan Starch diet.

I LOVE IT. I have never felt better in my life than those 4 months. I wish I had never stopped.

I eat a ton of potatoes, oatmeal, rice, beans, bell peppers, onions, carrots, green beans (in about that order of quantity). Right now I am still having a small amount of dairy in my coffee but I'm going to give that up eventually. When I did it last year my daily fat was always under 5 grams, and my goal is to get back to around there. For right now though I am still nursing my baby and I know if I don't eat enough fat my milk drops too much so we'll see what happens :)
  • veganbettie
    Options
    yay for nursing mothers!!!! Great job Jmauerhan!
  • Georgiawoollin
    Options
    I'm currently trying to do raw till 4 which is basically eating a variety of fruits throughout the day then having one cooked vegan meal on an evening and I'm finding it really simple and satisfying.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Going vegan, or vegetarian, is not for me, but as long as it works for you then have at it!

Me either, but I may consider Vegetarian. My BF was 100% vegan when we met, and honestly, he looked very pale and emaciated. He is also an avid runner, so that was taking alot of his energy. Also, he isn't one to cook so he was eating the same things day after day, VERY BORING! We were never able to go out to dinner. Forget it! Since he ceased to eat Vegan, he has undoubtedly gained weight, but he definitely looks better. I agree its Def not for everyone and it is a very expensive way of life (at least where we live). I would go broke or have to become a part time Vegan chef just to live. Good luck to the rest tho! :) PS I Do LOVE my veggies!
  • veganbettie
    Options
    it doesn't have to be expensive....unless you're in Alaska.

It can be though. depending on how much processed food you're eating, but not any more than any other way of eating. :)

but ya, it does seem a bit pricey in the beginning.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    My Doctor recommended a specific diet for me that is vegan, it's a high-carb low-fat diet. It's based off the diet described in "The Starch Solution". I did it for 4 months last year and lost 40 lbs, the only reason I stopped was I got pregnant and started being lazy with my diet. I was vegetarian during my pregnancy and now that my baby is 5 months old I've decided to switch back to the vegan Starch diet.

I LOVE IT. I have never felt better in my life than those 4 months. I wish I had never stopped.

I eat a ton of potatoes, oatmeal, rice, beans, bell peppers, onions, carrots, green beans (in about that order of quantity). Right now I am still having a small amount of dairy in my coffee but I'm going to give that up eventually. When I did it last year my daily fat was always under 5 grams, and my goal is to get back to around there. For right now though I am still nursing my baby and I know if I don't eat enough fat my milk drops too much so we'll see what happens :)

Mcdougall is great! I try to follow the principles of his diet, as a vegetarian.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    hell yeah a vegan thread fooook yes ive been vegan going on 4 years and vegetarian 10 years before that
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mcdougall is great! I try to follow the principles of his diet, as a vegetarian.

It's nice to hear from other people who know what I'm talking about! I've sent one friend to my doctor and he's lost like 60 lbs or something but the majority of my coworkers are on Paleo or Keto or something and think I'm insane. (And EVERYONE in my office is super obsessed with health/food/diet/exercise)
  • Georgiawoollin
    Options
    Literally everyone I've told im vegan slates me about it and their instant reaction is why would you do that to your body? It's so unnatural and bad for you. What I don't understand it when you say you're vegetarian everyone is just like ah okay that's cool, you say your vegan and everyone goes crazy mad at you. How do you all respond to this negativity?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Literally everyone I've told im vegan slates me about it and their instant reaction is why would you do that to your body? It's so unnatural and bad for you. What I don't understand it when you say you're vegetarian everyone is just like ah okay that's cool, you say your vegan and everyone goes crazy mad at you. How do you all respond to this negativity?

I tell them I can't condone/support/or participate in the abhorrent dairy and egg farming industry. They usually go ohhhhhhhh and walk away, because they don't really want to know where their food comes from.

Edited for typo
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    jmauerhan wrote: »

It's nice to hear from other people who know what I'm talking about! I've sent one friend to my doctor and he's lost like 60 lbs or something but the majority of my coworkers are on Paleo or Keto or something and think I'm insane. (And EVERYONE in my office is super obsessed with health/food/diet/exercise)

I am not a "perfect" mcdougaller, but I find his way of eating much more filling/satisfying then how I used to eat (when I was overweight). Cheaper too.

Plus the high-starch foods are really to my tastes. I am just a vegetarian, but I base my diet on starches,avoid meat/oil and keep my fat to a low level. my actual macros are 70/10/20. :)

• Georgiawoollin
    Options
    Yeah everyone just seems in such denial about their health and what they put into their bodies, I just want to show everybody all the things I've ever read and watched about what really happens, if that doesn't make them think I don't know what will
  • williemcshooglebert
    Options
    Hey fellow fitness pals, recently I have embarked on a high carb, low fat vegan lifestyle. I know what you're thinking, vegan, I can't do that, my food is so limited, it's so expensive etc. I have to tell you I was one of those people too, but after doing my research and following the vegan community I have learnt all about the way of eating and wanted to give it a go. I haven't been doing it long but after the christmas pig out I felt bloated and fat. I put on 7lbs in 3 weeks, it had k stop. Since going vegan for only a week I feel refreshed, leaner, less bloated and so much more energized. I really would recommend it to anyone, I think this is going to be the best thing I've even done... GO VEGAN!!!

• BayBanana
    Options

Everyone becomes a nutrition when you tell them you're vegan/vegetarian. Like OH MY STARS, what about protein!!!??? And that's ridiculous. I say don't ask me about my protein and I won't ask you about your cholesterol.