Hi all, new with lots to lose

Options
Hi all. Well I'm 30 and after 30 years of eating what I want and doing little in the way of exercise I'm now 5'4 and 16 and half stone. I'm very much unhappy with how I look etc and need to lose a lot of weight. I've been using this app for 10 days now and have noticed the difference with what I'm eating. Going to join the gym next month once I'm happy with my eating. Any advice for someone who's never done weight loss before

Replies

• victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello new one, I would recommend starting slow and let the little things become permanent ones! I don't eat frosting or gravy anymore and what a difference that has made in my life. I also try to move 15 minutes a day, walking in place during commercials or doing a flight of stairs twice instead of once every time I have to change floors in my house. Just imagine how a few of these little changes will help you moving forward to a healthy goal. Hope that helps a bit, wishing all the success you deserve:))
  • rockinrobyna
    rockinrobyna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up when you have setbacks...just get back on track and keep plugging away! If you eat a bad lunch don't decide in that moment that your day or week is a waste and eat everything you've ever wanted :smile: just move forward and have a healthy dinner (don't starve yourself as punishment either- that's not sustainable!). Consistency over time is your friend :wink: Congrats on your decision to get healthy- you can do it!!!
  • Turbotez
    Turbotez Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise how much I was actually eating and that combined with moving to a slightly less active job piled the pounds on. I'm now eating calorie wise thr same in a day as I was on just a lunch time.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    Weight loss is 70% what you put in your mouth, and 30% exercise. Some even say more like 90/10, so focus on your eating first. Start walking 30 or 45 minutes a day, and work up to the gym. Good luck.
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just work into your workouts so you don't burn out and track everything. At some point- u will possibly think u don't need to track- don't listen to that little voice lol Keep tracking and keep pushing along- you can do it!
  • Turbotez
    Options
    Thanks all. I walk to work each day which is a good 15 mins and will walk back when the lighter nights come in. I've turned my eating around quite a lot already but just need to stick to it as much as I can.
  • TRobinson43
    TRobinson43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How many pounds is a stone?
  • nchaunte
    nchaunte Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Two pieces of advice (in my opinion):
    First: track your food even when you don't want to and put food into your myfitnesspal diary the night before. Even if you don't eat that, it helps give you a general idea, especially the dinner and snack section. This also helps when you are STARVING and want to eat everything and anything you can find.

Second: Find a way to workout that is fun for you! I used to listen music while I used the elliptical. This became boring and I started watching the clock so I could be done: Never watch the timer/clock, it makes the workout go slower. I've started watching movies while I use the elliptical instead: Time flies by and I keep great pace! I went from struggling to do 20 minutes of cardio with music to doing 30+ with a movie because that works for me. By watching movies, I watch 40 minutes while I do my cardio. I don't finish the movie; I have to workout in order to finish the movie: That's my motivation to sweat!

Anyone can Feel free to add me :-)
  • kaady68
    kaady68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agree with what Vic said. Small adjustments over a long time will lead to more permanent changes than large adjustments over a small time. This is my second time using this site. The first time I lost 15 lbs. I then backslid, quit, and put the weight back on. I have been much more successful the second time due to allowing for minor setbacks and failures. When you experience them (and you will), do not get discouraged and give up. Wake the next morning and start over as if nothing happened. Then do it again every time that you backslide. I have now lost over 20lbs with 20 more to go and have not gone back up in weight or size in over 8 months.
  • GingerMeOhWee
    Options
    You can do it! Just keep your head up!

I think you and I are in the same boat with how we got our weight gain; slow and steady. I was a server/bartender for years, then I switched to a desk job. Uffda, have I seen my gut grow!

Keep in mind that raw foods are the best at filling you up and keeping your calorie count low. Also, ease into working out. Try making your house hold and day to day activities part of your daily work out, and you'll start finding that its all pretty fun!!

-Add me if you would like to another friend and supporter :smile:
  • bri_chr_kha
    Options
    How many pounds is a stone?

I think it's 14 lbs for 1 stone

• Turbotez
    Options
    You can do it! Just keep your head up!

I think you and I are in the same boat with how we got our weight gain; slow and steady. I was a server/bartender for years, then I switched to a desk job. Uffda, have I seen my gut grow!

Keep in mind that raw foods are the best at filling you up and keeping your calorie count low. Also, ease into working out. Try making your house hold and day to day activities part of your daily work out, and you'll start finding that its all pretty fun!!

-Add me if you would like to another friend and supporter :smile:

That would be great. Not sure how to add people to be honest though.

I'm a bit fussy with raw veg. I like lettuce, can eat loads of that and peppers but struggle with other stuff. Fruit I'm ok with though.