Buy a food scale

Options
Since I've started weighing my food, I can't believe how some of the items have stacked up. Eggs have surprised me the most--the brand I buy says there are 70 calories/large egg (and the USDA agrees), but I have had one egg that was under that number so far out of more than a dozen. The rest have been 75-85+. And let's not get started on how many calories are in a "tablespoon" of peanut butter or an eyeballed 1/8 of a block of cheese.

I still lost weight at a good pace not weighing, but I'm glad I decided to start so that it doesn't hurt me down the road.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Revealing huh!!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I have had better success weighing, too, and I thought I was really good at eyeballing.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing "food scale" on here. Is this a particular thing which is programmed with the calorie values of different food? Or is it in fact what I would simply call "scales" or "kitchen scales" to differentiate them from "bathroom scales".
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I keep seeing "food scale" on here. Is this a particular thing which is programmed with the calorie values of different food? Or is it in fact what I would simply call "scales" or "kitchen scales" to differentiate them from "bathroom scales".

Kitchen scales! I don't know if they make ones that you can program, I just write down how many grams and do the math after I eat.

ETA: I use this
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been considering getting one! I had chicken in my salad today, and not a clue as to how many ounces I put in there. I guessed, and hope that I overestimated. But really, I have no idea!! I've heard the "3 oz is the size of your palm" thing, but a scale would obviously be much more accurate!
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

It's like a scale you might use for body, but smaller and more sensitive. They only work for lightweight items, like less than five pounds. So you can tell if your potato weighs 100 grams or 150 grams.

They are good to have even if you don't care about using them for calorie control. They are very helpful for baking in particular because you can zero out between adding items.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    I've been considering getting one! I had chicken in my salad today, and not a clue as to how many ounces I put in there. I guessed, and hope that I overestimated. But really, I have no idea!! I've heard the "3 oz is the size of your palm" thing, but a scale would obviously be much more accurate!

Yep, what if you have big hands or small hands for that matter.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Eire228 wrote: »

Yep, what if you have big hands or small hands for that matter.

Good point!
  • Tasha3105
    Options
    I use my kitchen scale for everything because my eyes play tricks on me.... Then a whole block of cheese is gone before you know it haha
  • queenliz99
    Options
    A scale gives you a heads up what the actual food calories hold. Especially when you get down to maintenance levels you will know approximately what calorie each food has. Apples will vary wildly in calories, for instance.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »

It's like a scale you might use for body, but smaller and more sensitive. They only work for lightweight items, like less than five pounds. So you can tell if your potato weighs 100 grams or 150 grams.

They are good to have even if you don't care about using them for calorie control. They are very helpful for baking in particular because you can zero out between adding items.

Mine goes to 11 lbs. :D I use my scale at every meal.<3 love it!
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »

I actually have a very accurate set of digital kitchen scales, but it seems weird to call it a "food scale". I've never come across it. Must be an American thing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Tasha3105 wrote: »
    I use my kitchen scale for everything because my eyes play tricks on me.... Then a whole block of cheese is gone before you know it haha

there are cheese fairies that come in and eat all the opened cheese ... <nods to self> .. yup that's it, cheese fairies
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    my kitchen scale is vital to my weight loss
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I had been using an old analog scale that I had used for crafting when I first started on MFP. I asked for a digital scale for Christmas. It's much more accurate. My rate of loss has picked up. Yay for food scales!
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was the most shocked by my chicken intake. I make meals to stretch meat a bit and usually involve one medium size chicken breast feeding my fiance and I. I used to assume that half the chicken breast was about 0.75-1 serving and I would log as such. I actually weighted it and the breast had 2.5 servings. I was logging incorrectly by about 50 calories. Not a huge deal in itself...but those things do add up. I also lOVE it for measuring oils/dressings. so much cleaner than using a tablespoon!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Since I've started weighing my food, I can't believe how some of the items have stacked up. Eggs have surprised me the most--the brand I buy says there are 70 calories/large egg (and the USDA agrees), but I have had one egg that was under that number so far out of more than a dozen. The rest have been 75-85+. And let's not get started on how many calories are in a "tablespoon" of peanut butter or an eyeballed 1/8 of a block of cheese.

I still lost weight at a good pace not weighing, but I'm glad I decided to start so that it doesn't hurt me down the road.

I don't have a scale but I plan on getting one. For eggs, do you just put the whole egg on there, shell and all, or do you zero a cup or something and crack it into that?

I crack my egg into a cup on the scale. I'm not planning to eat the shell so I don't weigh the shell!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    A scale gives you a heads up what the actual food calories hold. Especially when you get down to maintenance levels you will know approximately what calorie each food has. Apples will vary wildly in calories, for instance.

How does a scale tell you how many calories a food holds? If you take 5 apples of the same weight, they are unlikely to all have exactly the same calories.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love weighing my food! Its an eye opener and I feel so much better knowing exactly what I'm putting in my body