Coworker insists she can't lose weight through calorie restriction -- info wanted

Options
1235»

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It's always hard to tell with people. Sometimes people got fat because of a medical condition OR sometimes obesity can be the cause of a medical condition that helps keep you fat.
    A symptom of PCOS is obesity. But, I believe the jury is still out as to whether obesity causes PCOS or the PCOS causes the obesity. Depending on what camp your Doctor belongs to, you can either get quality care or treated like you are a bag of walking garbage.

Anyways, I would leave it alone. More than likely the real problem is that when she restricts calories she ends up hungry and binge eating at the end of the day. Or she restricts to 1700 calories a day all week long to lose that one lb, than there's some work meet or personal engagment that means eating out at a restaurant and the hard work of a week is trashed and then some.

For some people, there is a quagmire of emotional baggage associated with losing weight.

What's important to know is that just about no one wants to be fat and yet many of us are. I weigh 225 lbs and I hate it every single day. I do my best to beat it on a regular basis. I've done it before and know how weight loss works for me. I have a digital scale and I have the support of family who doesn't mind making their own dinner so that I don't have to be tempted. Even with that support group, I find it difficult.

Imagine how much more difficult it would be if your brain didn't work well enough for you to even BELIEVE you could lose weight.

• Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have read all the replies but just leave her alone. Antagonising her over her food and weight choices isn't going to encourage her to do anything. Perhaps she, like me, refuses to believe because the prospect of losing weight is daunting and frightening and you don't feel that you have the willpower or deserve the results so you make excuses. I was always a "i would hate to be one of those women that know the calorie content of everything, i couldn't do it". If she wants it she will change her mind but taking the piss out of her here isn't really in the best spirit of the community is it?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    jessaha wrote: »
    If she does a huge calorie deficit her body will go into starvation mode and store body fat. It is also possible last time she dieted she had high sodium and had a lot of water weight. I have not heard of anything else... but I am not expert either. I do find some people hold on tight to false ideas for a variety of self motivated reasons
    Not to mention starvation mode (metabolic slow down) does not even come into effect until your body fat hits below 11 percent.