Workout Routine??

Options
2»

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is a winner! Or... a portion of a winner!

Four things (Do them all):

1. Monitor your diet; this is huge (90%, as stated)
    2. Lift weights: lifting weights will build muscle, thereby increasing your basal metabolic rate. The more muscle you have on your body, the more calories you burn, even if you're just sitting around and reading MFP blogs. Studies have shown your BMR is temporarily further supercharged even after you're done lifting. Weight lifting is important for increasing bone density so when you fall as a 80 year old you can just pop back up and brush yourself off, rather than need a hip replacement.
    3. Cardio... for more than 20 minutes. The first twenty minutes, your body is burning carbohydrates (or, if you're on freakishly low carbs, protein... but if you're doing freakishly low carbs and high intensity workouts, I feel badly for your muscles and kidneys. That's another story.) After 20 min, you burn fat.
    4. Find things you like. For example, I do Zumba for cardio so I can pretend I'm just dancing and not flailing around in slow agonizing death. And for weight lifting, I don't particularly care for it, but I care for the candied men that come alongside weight rooms, so I zone out and just enjoy them as I pump iron. As mentioned, New Rules of Weight Lifting is a great book for women... if you don't have elevated testosterone. If your testosterone is elevated (PCOS), watch out for bulking up too much with high weights and low reps [unless this is what you're going for]. Yeahhhh She-Hulk!

Be sure to eat within 30min following your workouts, and ideally, this meal should have protein to help build muscle. If you don't eat, your body will break down muscle (it still needs glucose to function) and then what was the point of the workout?

This! Also, add James Fell, Alan Argon and science babe on your facebook...they have tons of great fitness advice that's backed by scientific research (Please don't add food babe, she's a disaster lol)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight

Exercise for health and stamina

Lift weights to build strength and re- composition your body

Weight lifting from the get go is my first choice when I need to drop lbs without feeling flabby. Example; Went from 170 to 145 once and got into a size 10 nicely. Gained back about 20, added weight training to my renewed goal, went from 165 to 145 but now wear a size 6 and sometimes a 4...............Good Luck!!
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you're new to exercising, just pick something you like. After you've made exercising a habit, try to figure out what's best for you and your goals.

In my opinion, all exercise is good for you, just start somewhere. The lifting vs. cardio debate can come later, when you're actually doing something. Either of those is better than doing nothing.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What kind of work out are you doing in 3 minutes??? unless you do it 20 times a day?

lol

"Richard Callender – from ITV’s Biggest Loser devised these ‘short, sharp, shock’ workouts. Join him, Charlotte and weight loss expert David Souter for:

FAST FAT LOSS – Special moves to turn on the body’s fat burners super quick.
    12 ROUTINES – Start with just one 3 minute round and build up to all 12.
    EXTRA ABS – Blitz the belly jelly with 10 mins of killer abs.
    DIET – Speed up fat loss with Charlotte’s yummy eating plan."

the success comes from the "special moves", duh.

plus it's from someone from biggest loser...they know all about healthy weight loss.

lucille-bluth-wink.gif
  • JennJayBee
    JennJayBee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cardio AND lifting. Cardio will burn calories, but muscle will help your body burn calories even faster. (Don't worry about getting "bulky." It's incredibly hard to do if you're a woman without specifically trying.)

How much you do depends on what will keep you going and what will drive you to quitting. Something is better than nothing, so if you can just get started with walking a few days a week, do that. If you feel you can take on more, then do it. Find something you love. Don't make it too tedious.

With weight lifting, you want to give your muscles a few days to recover. I split mine up. I do upper body and abs on Tuesdays, lower body and abs on Thursdays. I don't do a whole lot-- just 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps per exercise. I also walk or run 3-5 days a week, depending on how busy I am.
  • txteachermom
    txteachermom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't even go to the gym. I do 10,000 steps a day, either walking at the park or on a treadmill, with a Fitbit tracker, which is between 4-5 miles of walking. It's really working out for me, it's cardio which is great for weight loss, and I'm finding it easy to meet the goal AND fun too! Once I lose a bit, I want to start weight lifting, but for now, the cardio is what I'm focusing on.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    I just started and today is my third day. Im not into the gym scene really so im doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and it will kick your tail..
  • MelonFlower
    MelonFlower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you're new to exercising, just pick something you like. After you've made exercising a habit, try to figure out what's best for you and your goals.

This is a VERY good point. Establishing the habit is first and foremost.