I want to gain muscle

Options
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've been here but I'm happy to be back. I gained a few pounds this year and would like to tone up, not really lose weight. I want to gain muscle.
My only issue is I don't have any work out equipment, so what can I do? I want to tone up my butt mainly.
Anything I can do from home? thanks for the help!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Google "Strong Curves pdf" and the first link will get you the SC workouts from Bret Contreras, the "glute guy." The third workout listed is bodyweight training.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    without equipment or access to a gym you would have to do body weight work. Body weight work is fantastic, but you have to make sure you keep doing more difficult progressions of various exercises to keep reaping the benefits...in that regard, it can be easier to hit the weight room and just add more weight.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've been here but I'm happy to be back. I gained a few pounds this year and would like to tone up, not really lose weight. I want to gain muscle.
    My only issue is I don't have any work out equipment, so what can I do? I want to tone up my butt mainly.
    Anything I can do from home? thanks for the help!

Lunges at home, knees over toes for the glutes knees before for quads. Can do buddah squats... which are just body weight squats (thats what I call them idk if that is the real name)

You should just join a gym honestly and do full body workouts
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Truly gaining muscle requires eating at a surplus.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Google You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. This is also a good intro to body weight training: http://strengthunbound.com/bodyweight-strength-training-beginners-guide/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight training is great for beginners who have little/no access to equipment. It can be taken quite far through various progressions and doesn't have to be done in a vacuum. In other words, weights can be added at some point, it's not an either/or thing. I started out with mostly bodyweight training and eventually moved on to mostly weights but still keep chin-ups, pushups, bw squats, etc. in my routine.

If somebody is a beginner, the "difficult to progress" point in bodyweight training is a long way off. I wouldn't tell a person to skip inverted rows now because one arm pullups will be hard years from now anymore than I would cancel a picnic today because it's going to rain next week. It's puzzling to me why anybody would be discouraged from pursuing a form of exercise that is doable with the resources on hand and will help move that person toward her goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Truly gaining muscle requires eating at a surplus.

^Yep
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Katahna wrote: »

This is fantastic! laughsssss