Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ready to throw out this fitness band

SuggaD
SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
I bought my first fitness band recently. I have a desk job and was curious about my activity level (especially steps taken). Two days in and I'm ready to throw it away. Yesterday, I got in my 10,000 steps, mostly through taking the dog for a walk. But my calories burned showed only around 500. What is that 500 supposed to mean?

Replies

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    what band....if you don't mind me asking......500 calories burned doesn't seem like a lot.....are you sure you got your vital statistics set up in it properly.....age, sex, height, weight, etc....? I love my fitbit flex......but will say, yes it does seem to be a bit "off" some days.....I use it to supplement my fitness though......and I still use my heart rate monitor at the gym, to monitor my "intensity" for my cardio......couldn't be without it lol.
  • SuggaD
    Pivotal1. Only got it because it was a good deal.
  • misschiplash78
    misschiplash78 Posts: 23 Member
    Ahoier, my fitbit gives me 600 kcal for only 3000 steps, does this seem like a lot? I'm 74kg.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Do you mean your total calorie burn that the device tells you you burned from midnight to midnight, or the calories you earned on MFP from exercise when it syncs? Because that number would make sense for that, but definitely not for total calories burned from 10,000 steps. I have a Fitbit Flex & according to the Fitbit site, I've taken 6,800 steps & have burned 1,800 calories, but on MFP I've earned about 400 calories from exercise (including cardio I did at the gym). Just wanted to clarify!
  • SuggaD
    Daw0518, that's what I need to figure out for mine. Because if its 500 over BMR, it still seems low, but not that bad. If not, its awfully inaccurate and a waste of my time.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    500 might be just about right, this is from the live strong site
    WALK THE WALK
    You can calculate your total calorie burn per mile of walking by simply multiplying your weight by 0.53. For instance, if you weigh 200 pounds then your total burn would be 106 calories per mile, but if you weigh 175 pounds, you will burn a total of 93 calories. A 125-pound person will use even less energy, burning about 67 calories per mile of walking.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    upsaluki wrote: »
    WALK THE WALK
    You can calculate your total calorie burn per mile of walking by simply multiplying your weight by 0.53. For instance, if you weigh 200 pounds then your total burn would be 106 calories per mile, but if you weigh 175 pounds, you will burn a total of 93 calories. A 125-pound person will use even less energy, burning about 67 calories per mile of walking.

That formula is for gross calories inclusive of BMR ... not net calories from exercise. Walking nets closer to .3 calories per pound per mile ... so 60 net calories for a 200 pound person.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    upsaluki wrote: »
    WALK THE WALK

That formula is for gross calories inclusive of BMR ... not net calories from exercise. Walking nets closer to .3 calories per pound per mile ... so 60 net calories for a 200 pound person.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
    Just by basic math, the only people for whom that runners world .3 multiplier would work for are those whose BMR is 16.56 times their weight in pounds (for 3mph walking) or those who walk around 2mph. I don't know anyone in those groups.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1392879