Eating More when Lifting

Options
Hello Everyone, I would like to ask for some advice. I do 5x5 Strong Lifts, and I am wondering what would you consider a safe amount of calories to add back into my day. Right now my goal is to lose. I have an HRM for my Cardio workouts, and I always eat my calories back. (It works for me) I know the HRM is not accurate for lifting calorie burns. I am femle 5'5" currently weigh 166.8lbs. I weigh and mesure all food, so I am think I am about as accurate as you can be in regards to Calorie counts.

So, if you are lifting and losing, how many calories are you adding back to your day, if you are one who eats your calories back?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, the amount of calories burned by a Stronglifts workout generally isn't worth the trouble of eating back -- you're talking a net burn of maybe 100 - 150 calories.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i never eat my calories back......my schedule just doesn't allow it...lol. i typically eat a big breakfast......medium lunch.....and small dinner.....which is usually after my p.m. workout, after i get done with work. I work out at night cause of my work schedule and no way could i "eat back" all those calories before bed ;) i'll typically come home and make a whey protein shake with strawberries and flax seed, and that's my "dinner".....but my breakfasts are typically 300-500 calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I was using the MFP method I honestly never really worried about it...I chalked it up to a protein drink afterwards. If you notice that you're losing faster than you want to, you can bump your calories up according to the math at that point.

This is why a lot of people eventually move to the TDEE method.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    i never eat my calories back......my schedule just doesn't allow it...lol. i typically eat a big breakfast......medium lunch.....and small dinner.....which is usually after my p.m. workout, after i get done with work. I work out at night cause of my work schedule and no way could i "eat back" all those calories before bed ;) i'll typically come home and make a whey protein shake with strawberries and flax seed, and that's my "dinner".....but my breakfasts are typically 300-500 calories.

I..I...I..myself...so on and so forth...she asked a question..you never answered it...as to op's question..If your adding extra workouts then you could eat a little extra..but unfortunately you will never know how much calories you burn weight training..so there is no way to measure it
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Use the TDEE method instead of the MFP method and don't worry about calorie burn or calorie "re-eating. "
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I was using the MFP method I honestly never really worried about it...I chalked it up to a protein drink afterwards. If you notice that you're losing faster than you want to, you can bump your calories up according to the math at that point.

This is why a lot of people eventually move to the TDEE method.

I will add that in addition to bumping calories if they are coming off too fast you should also look at bumping up calories if you feel that you are struggling with your workouts.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses. I will watch how I am feeling and if too hungry, losing too fast or struggling with workouts I will up my calories. I will just have to listen to my body as I progress through my workouts. While I have been doing Cardio consistently for the last 3 years, Lifting is reletively new for me, so I appreciate the feedback.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I enter strength training/weight lifting under Cardiovascular in MFP. Depending on workout time it would give me 150-200 calories back. Depending on my goals, trying to lose weight, maintain or recomp, I would eat none, some or all the calories back. BTW my HRM would say I burned 600-800 calories per session. During weight lifting I only use the HRM to monitor my HR not to determine calorie burn.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the responses. I will watch how I am feeling and if too hungry, losing too fast or struggling with workouts I will up my calories. I will just have to listen to my body as I progress through my workouts. While I have been doing Cardio consistently for the last 3 years, Lifting is reletively new for me, so I appreciate the feedback.

That's it girl.