Increase calorie intake after restrictive diet

Options
I am currently on a restrictive diet of about 700 calories per day. I am a 24 year old female, 5 foot 1 and at a healthy weight, I do not want to gain or loose but I think calorie restriction has gone out of hand and would like to increase to about 1200 which according to my fitness pal is my BMR. I do not exercise more than walking about 15 min most days just to get to work and 15min to get back. I have lost a lot of muscle mass, don't have much energy and feel hungry and this is why I would like to increase, but I am so scared of gaining weight. If I increase what could happen to my body?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 calories, any thing less is very unhealthy.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bump it up as much as you can to get to 1200. You will probably retain water for a bit once you start eating more but that comes back off pretty quick. At 5'1 you wouldn't gain any fat, you would just slow down the losing process to a healthier rate.

I'm currently working on getting my calories up to a healthy range too. Just keep at it!!!
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I say this with kindness but I think these are questions much better asked to your doctor. You can also make a plan of action with him/her and discuss some of the other concerns you have.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good grief. I am 5'1" and if I eat an oz over 1050 calories a day I gain. TDEE-20%=Calories. Mine is 1050. We are not all the same.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good grief. I am 5'1" and if I eat an oz over 1050 calories a day I gain. TDEE-20%=Calories. Mine is 1050. We are not all the same.

+1
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    TDEE PLUS EXERCISE. And 1050 is a lot more than 700.

But I absolutely agree with your main point. I am 5'10", but I'm 55. My MFP calculate pound a week calorie allotment was 1230 and I didn't lose faster than that and was never hungry even though I was always under that. Now I'm only at 1730 net and have maintained for several years. I get really annoyed when people keep saying EVERYONE should eat 2000+ calories because they can. Sure, I could do that when I was younger. And I did when I was no longer able to metabolically. Which is why I went back to MFP.

I am also going to note that nobody logs perfectly, even when we really try.