Carb, Fat, Protein Ratios??

Options
I'm trying to lose weight and need some help figuring out the best ratio of carbs, fat and protein????
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Everybody will want something different, depending on preferences, DNA and goals.

If you pick a middling starting point like 40/30/30 and tweak from there, it will be hard to go wrong.
  • Dotson0508
    Dotson0508 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Everybody will want something different, depending on preferences, DNA and goals.

If you pick a middling starting point like 40/30/30 and tweak from there, it will be hard to go wrong.

Agree, this is a great place to start. Remember you sometimes have to play around with them.
  • dls1957
    dls1957 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fats a good ratio? I am worried about too many carbs. Any input?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    dls1957 wrote: »
    Is 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fats a good ratio? I am worried about too many carbs. Any input?

Take Knight's advice.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    dls1957 wrote: »

Take Knight's advice.

I agree. In my mind I see Protein as being similar in most diets. Carbs and Fats are the two numbers one may play with. If you are worried about too many carbs replace them with calories from Fat or the other way around if you want low fat dieting.

• Dotson0508
    Options
    How will I know if the carbs and fat need to be adjusted??
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    as a runner 50 25 25
  • Dotson0508
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    as a runner 50 25 25

How do you come up with your numbers??
  • funkodrunko
    funkodrunko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dotson0508 wrote: »
    How will I know if the carbs and fat need to be adjusted??

Its just personal preference. If you feel better on more carbs, then go with that. Better on more fats, then go with that.

The way I look at it, calories are the key. Protein is the next important and carbs and fat are your preferences
  • Dotson0508
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dotson0508 wrote: »
    jrline wrote: »
    as a runner 50 25 25

How do you come up with your numbers??

Glycogen depletion. It's helpful for "eat back exercise" calories to be carb-heavy, thereby bumping up the overall percentage of carbs.

This is but one example of why there isn't a one size fits all answer to the OP's question.
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    70 fat 10 carbs 20 protein

the ideal diet to limit insulin production and fat storage. Works incredibly well to limit hunger and reduce appetite.
    All foods need to be natural and not processed.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options
    nzmegs wrote: »
    70 fat 10 carbs 20 protein

That would kill me. I'd be unable to get out of bed and would be a seriously grumpy mofo.
    All foods need to be natural and not processed.

That part really doesn't matter.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There really is no one size fits all answer here, but a lot of us have found this to be a good starting point:http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    70 fat 10 carbs 20 protein?

I can't even imagine what that looks like. Do you deep fry butter pats or something? Eat coconut oil by the spoonful?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have mine set as 40 carb 20 fat 40 protein. Honestly thinking about dropping the carbs a little lower, raising the fat a tiny bit, and putting the rest towards protein. I feel much better when my carbs are from totally natural food (no processing whatsoever...no rice, bread, pasta etc). Everyone is different though so it might take you a while to figure out the ratios that make you feel your best, can be done for the rest of your life, and still allows you to eat the food you want. Good luck!
  • Dotson0508
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Dotson0508
    Options
    There really is no one size fits all answer here, but a lot of us have found this to be a good starting point:http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I'll check it out! I'm trying to lose about 50 lbs and everything seems a little overwhelming at times