Overweight and attended my first Crossfit class

Options
One of my 3 cousins have been members for over year and look awesome! I made it my goal once again to lose the "baby weight" (I gave birth to my 4th child 9 months ago). One of my cousins suggested Crossfit and I got nervous of just the thought of attending a class. I would always hear how awesome it was for them and it scared me. Lol! So, I decided to attend my first class today since it was a "free week" for new members. I walked into the building and you could probably hear my chin hit the floor. I am the heaviest in my class (5'1 @ 225 lbs)..a little embarrassing but I was there to change for me (you have to start somewhere, right?). I was the last one to finish my 400 meter run and had to walk a few times, but I finished. I was the last of the group to finish the "lines". However, I was able to complete the 15 minutes that was "required" after being introduced to what we were to do today..I managed to do 6 reps. My lungs and throat were burning and my legs felt like jell-o but I was alive. I'm scared to go back tomorrow but I know I need to do this. I want to feel awesome about how I look again. If anyone has any advice, please don't hesitant.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    but I finished

There you go, great first start at CF!

Keep working hard like you are, but don't be afraid to not go every day and give yourself a day or two away.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on finishing. I hope you're not as sore tomorrow as I believe you will be. Don't forget to rest, recover and eat enough to fuel the extra work.
  • bonnieh1638
    bonnieh1638 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's great - keep it up! I do not do crossfit however, my 27yd old daughter has been doing it for 3 years now. She initially wasn't overweight but wanted to be healthy. Now she hates to miss a workout because it is her way of life and she feels and looks great! What she likes the most is how the crossfit community is so friendly and supportive, it's like her family.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I had a goal of running a 5K back in August and I would always say that for some crossing the start line is a victory - So congrats for going and completing the course. I agree with loulamb7 - those three things will help keep you able and willing to continue. So many times people start too strong and fall off, take your time don't worry so much about when you finish concentrate on keeping your form and breathing strong.

Again, congrats

Oh, and I still haven't participated in a 5K :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!! Take a rest day and then do it again. And then keep doing it. You'll be so glad you did!! Congratulations :)
  • rozhansen
    rozhansen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do something else active the next day, your muscles need to recover but not rest or you'll be even more sore. Great job!
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I started crossfit a couple months ago (LOVE it!)...and I will tell you to walk around today, and drink a LOT of water. Go again tonight...getting another workout in will actually lessen your pain, surprisingly enough. You WILL be sore, and you will be sore each and every time you go to cf...but the pain lessens each time.
    Also...don't look at the scale. At all. For at least the next couple months. Measure yourself today (waist, arms, thighs, calves, etc.) but don't weigh yourself again until March. Your body composition will start to change, you will notice your clothes fitting better, your face will get smaller, but the scale isn’t going to start going downhill for a couple months and weighing yourself might be counterproductive. You must remember that you are losing fat, but are replacing it with muscle. Muscle is smaller, so you will be shrinking but your scale won't reflect more than a lb or two fluctuation. The number on the scale isn't what maters though...it's how you feel and your overall heath that matters.
    Good luck, keep going...I think you are going to love it!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ...I'm scared to go back tomorrow but I know I need to do this...
    Good job! I think Crossfit is terrific but if you decide it's too much for you right now, don't feel like there aren't other options! Some people think if it's not "Biggest Loser style til-you-puke workouts" they won't lose weight. Not so!

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement, it means a lot. :smile:
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Great job for finishing! I will say that I puked once or twice so at least you didn't do that. LOL I work with a trainer and she has me doing the cross fit style of work outs.

Keep up the good work!