Need to lose 100lbs. Need tips.

2»

Replies

• LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I had a bad neck injury several years ago and gained a lot of weight from the meds, and lack of moving. I'm now working on losing 89lbs more, after losing 41lb the last few months.

I know for me, I can't do any high impact exercise, and have to be careful what activities I do, as I have nerve damage, and chronic pain, as well as damage that means a high risk of further injury. I've found that walking is great, and I've also found lots of good pilates videos (for seniors actually... but they limit the stress on the spine so they are great) and low impact exercise videos on youtube. Check out FitnessBlender on youtube... they have lots of low impact videos, and activities for all levels. They're free, and really great!

I've also started swimming again (I was a lifeguard before my injury), and do aqua aerobics. Both take the stress of your spine, and are excellent, full-body workouts. I really recommend doing some sort of water activity.

Take it slow, and keep at it! You will be great. :)
  • heyjude345
    heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
    First of all, don't just blindly go by what MFP tells you for how many calories you need daily...it often underestimates. Do some reading (use the stickies on the forums). There's tons of amazing information out there that will help you better decide the number of calories your body needs during this journey. I've lost 107 pounds and still eat 1600 calories daily.

Next, don't get discouraged when weight loss stalls out, because it will. This takes time so stay the course.

While exercise isn't needed for weight loss, you will probably eventually find that you will feel better if you do start to incorporate some movement into your days. Find something that you enjoy. I've found running at the age of 46...never in a million years would have guessed that I'd enjoy running!

Best of luck to you...you can do this!
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've got a bad back - be kind to your body and only push it gradually if/when you get into exercise - putting yourself off your feet will having you going backwards - managing your calories and keeping the scale slowly moving down is what it's all about - don't get "greedy" and set your goals beyond what you can reasonably do and still be happy and not continually distracted by calories and exercise - I've lost weight before and lost it faster, but it wasn't sustainable - going slower this time and am hitting numbers on the scale that I don't remember when I last saw and it doesn't seem I'm trying half as hard as other times