Shauna; the overweight chronic spoonie

Options
Shaunajoelle
Shaunajoelle Posts: 7
edited January 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi there, I've had MFP for over a year now but just now discovered the community portion online. I am 24 years old, close to 200lbs at 5'5" and newly gluten free and on an anti-inflammatory diet (per doctors orders - not just to lose weight like some fad followers). I have chronic pain and anxiety problems due to fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, neuromuscular problems and back and neck issues. So exercise is VERY hard for me.

I am looking for some friends to be able to add in hopes to keep me inspired and in line. I would like to be able to help others in their journey to get healthy and stay healthy as well. Also find some people who are also Gluten Free and learn about this lifestyle.

Please feel free to add me and chat with me :smiley:

Replies

• kaydoh2014
    kaydoh2014 Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I too have FM, osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple spinal issues, so I totally understand how debillitating constant pain is. Which means I also thoroughly understand how it can make exercising pretty damn difficult, some times more than others. And even more, I understand how alone one can feel, especially when so many in the medical community don't even believe in FM.

I'm on day 367 of tracking and logging here on MFP. I've lost 20 pounds in the year which a lot of people make fun of. But for me, I'm totally psyched because I've actually lost it! I seem to lose weight, then maintain for a couple months, then lose a little more then maintain there, and so on.

I tried going GF and couldn't manage it - IMHO there are some GF products that are just plain GROSS. And for whatever reason I have a VERY tough time swallowing a lot of the non-bread bread products (meaning hamburger rolls, hotdog rolls, "english muffins" COUGH COUGH). I am what I call gluten light. Any BREAD that I eat is GF, any pasta is GF, any treats, etc. For me, going GF made a very quickly noticeable difference in my weight loss, but more importantly is has ABSOLUTELY made my joint pain better. It took a good 5 weeks for that side effect to kick in, but it's a big difference. I'm talking going from an average pain of 6 to an average pain of about 3.5 in my joints. It has not helped as noticeably with my constant tendonitis throughout my body, and of course it hasn't done squat for the constant and neverending muscle spasms, but ANY relief is a relief and I'm happy for it!

Feel free to add me. Don't feel like you HAVE to - I completely understand if it'd be strange for you to be friends with someone old enough to be your mother. Whatever you do, good luck to you on your weight loss journey. Learn to be patient with yourself, but most of all, learn to be kind to yourself.
  • Shaunajoelle
    Options
    Oh Kay you don't know how reassuring it is that gf helped you with your joint pain. Even if it was only a little bit. Anything would help. It's good to know it could take a bit of time though. I've only been at this GF thing for about a week and a half so I know it will take a while to help.