Cross Training

Options
kmalcolm12
kmalcolm12 Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! I have 50 pounds to lose and I'm attempting to do 300 minutes of exercise a week (5 days 1 hr). Right now, I am doing Couch to 5k 3 days a week, usually only doing the running bit for 30 minutes and walking the rest of the 30 minutes. What types of exercises are good to do for the other 2 days? I have no bike or gym membership. I have some strength training videos (but I hate ST, I know...bad), I like yoga and I have a treadmill at home.

Should I just suck it up and do strength training, or can I get away with yoga/dancing/uphill walking, etc? My main aim is to lose weight and learn to run 3 miles.

Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Why would it be a dumb question? :)

The cool thing about running is that the only thing you MUST do is, ya know, run. In my experience pretty much every runner has a different strategy towards cross-training. A lot of people find yoga really helpful for avoiding injury. Some people find strength training helps them get faster and have that as a goal. Some people think uphill walking plays a key role in increasing endurance/getting through injury recovery.

I think the best cross-training is something you enjoy that doesn't stress out your knees, hips and ankles too much. It sounds like any of your preferred options would work well. So why force yourself into something you don't enjoy and will try to get out of?

I don't have the self-freedom to just dance around the house, but I absolutely love the idea of it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do what you enjoy ..

but strength training will help preserve/prevent muscle loss and will keep everything looking tight...
  • kmalcolm12
    kmalcolm12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks guys!