Question for restaurant servers.

Options

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Good to know that others tip based on service, specifically the wait staff that is attentive and refills my water glass.
    I've been known to leave an extra dollar even after the bill was paid for a waiter who continues to fill the glass after the bill was paid.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Every server sometimes feels like doing stuff like that when he or she is frustrated...but in my eight years of restaurant work I have NEVER seen anyone do it, nor would I ever. Maybe I've been lucky to work in good restaurants with good people, but yeah. Never. Rude people get super efficient, nearly silent service from me so I can get them in and out as fast as possible and make sure they have nothing to complain about.

I don't get into server wage debates as they're as bad as politics or religion. However, I find that good servers or bartenders have things equal out for them in the end. For every rude table who tips badly, there are so many more nice ones who tip well...as well as a few nice ones who tip poorly and rude ones who tip well. I have bad nights occasionally, as we all do, but my good nights outweigh them by a landslide. Probably because I work hard and try to treat everyone well, even the rare ten-soda-refills weirdo. I remind myself often that for every crazy person, I get many nice, normal people.

I'd think it'd be impossible not to hate people after seeing them at their worst. Servers should have fixed wages, the end. After a certain time, they should have the option to have a small %* of the total turnover: more like shareholders in a company, less like a pyramid scheme or mafia.

*a small one, fine, give the guy who put up the initial cash his due, but enough to make it worthwhile, & give staff a sense of ownership over their work + incentive. & let them get something decent back for putting up with humanity when we're hungry.

There are many jobs that involve as much or more customer service; almost all are salaried. Food business is crazy.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I have a question for customers: can you not see that I'm running my butt off serving 6 to 8 other tables? That I'm seating people at the door, helping people at the register, making soups, making salads, and I just can't do it all at once? You drank your soda in three minutes? That sucks, do you want me to just sit here and watch your table non-stop? I do the best I can, and I'm serving 25 customers at a time in my cheap restaurant where we're understaffed, so thanks for shorting my tip because I'm not superwoman.

get together. take it up with your manager, not the customers.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    i dunno, i tip based on accommodating service. bringing me hot sauce...and.....not touching my fiance on the arm.

Agreed! I don't have a Fiance but if Im out w/a guy. That always happens. No eye contact from her to me.
    But she is all over my date. Creepy and Desperate move. And I don't date often, so when I do it counts.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Every server sometimes feels like doing stuff like that when he or she is frustrated...but in my eight years of restaurant work I have NEVER seen anyone do it, nor would I ever. Maybe I've been lucky to work in good restaurants with good people, but yeah. Never. Rude people get super efficient, nearly silent service from me so I can get them in and out as fast as possible and make sure they have nothing to complain about.

I don't get into server wage debates as they're as bad as politics or religion. However, I find that good servers or bartenders have things equal out for them in the end. For every rude table who tips badly, there are so many more nice ones who tip well...as well as a few nice ones who tip poorly and rude ones who tip well. I have bad nights occasionally, as we all do, but my good nights outweigh them by a landslide. Probably because I work hard and try to treat everyone well, even the rare ten-soda-refills weirdo. I remind myself often that for every crazy person, I get many nice, normal people.

I'd think it'd be impossible not to hate people after seeing them at their worst. Servers should have fixed wages, the end. After a certain time, they should have the option to have a small %* of the total turnover: more like shareholders in a company, less like a pyramid scheme or mafia.

*a small one, fine, give the guy who put up the initial cash his due, but enough to make it worthwhile, & give staff a sense of ownership over their work. & let them get something decent back for putting up with humanity when we're hungry.

There are many jobs that involve as much or more customer service; almost all are salaried. Food business is crazy.

I agree with this, but it seems this is the one standard in the US. I wonder would a waiter at Denny's want a salary and would a waiter at some 5 star michelene restaurant want a salary. What are the differences when you work at a place where the plates are $10 vs $100?

My field is healthcare so all my staff is hourly.
  • Minifelly
    Minifelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Weirdos. Just give your staff a wage already.

Servers make at least $8-12 dollars an hour here plus tips, entry level. :)

For the united states, servers make anywhere from $3.00- to $7.25 (or whatever the specific's state minimum wage is)

They CERTAINLY don't make $9.00/hr before tips.

Just sayin'

Agree I server and make 4.50 an hour before tips and thats minimum wage for servers in Illinois. We definitely don't make 8 or 9 dollars an hour. So the people who think they dont need to tip because we are getting paid are wrong because most of our wages are gone by the time our paychecks come because of taxes.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I was a server. I was always on top of refills, I think partly because I hated waiting for my diet coke to get refilled. But give me a rude customer, they can sit forever and if I did bring them a refill after the were grumpy, I would oh so drop the tip of a dirty towel in it, smile and say enjoy. Be nice to your server, or dine at fast food places. Yes, you can get really bad service. If so, don't tip. TIPS... To insure prompt service

Yea...that's a pretty crappy thing to do to someone. If someone is rude, sorry, that doesn't give you a green light to introduce potentially damaging materials/bacteria etc.. into their meal.

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself for ever doing something like that. It's not cool when people are rude, but you should never put their health at risk because of it.

It seems to me to be common sense not to be a d-bag to the people who handle your food.

It seems to me if you go somewhere to eat, there should be no chance someone is going to contaminate what you ingest for their own amusement, regardless.

Don't be an *kitten* and there will be no chance of it. Pretty simple.

You don't treat the people who bring you food like dirt. God knows what goes on behind the kitchen doors. The amount of self entitlement I have seen from people who feel that they have the right to treat people who work in customer service like crap is mind boggling.

I think everyone should work retail or in food service for a year just to learn a little humanity.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Many years ago I was a server. I was always on top of refills, I think partly because I hated waiting for my diet coke to get refilled. But give me a rude customer, they can sit forever and if I did bring them a refill after the were grumpy, I would oh so drop the tip of a dirty towel in it, smile and say enjoy. Be nice to your server, or dine at fast food places. Yes, you can get really bad service. If so, don't tip. TIPS... To insure prompt service

Yea...that's a pretty crappy thing to do to someone. If someone is rude, sorry, that doesn't give you a green light to introduce potentially damaging materials/bacteria etc.. into their meal.

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself for ever doing something like that. It's not cool when people are rude, but you should never put their health at risk because of it.

It seems to me to be common sense not to be a d-bag to the people who handle your food.

It seems to me if you go somewhere to eat, there should be no chance someone is going to contaminate what you ingest for their own amusement, regardless.

You don't treat the people who bring you food like dirt. God knows what goes on behind the kitchen doors. The amount of self entitlement I have seen from people who feel that they have the right to treat people who work in customer service like crap is mind boggling.

I think everyone should work retail or in food service for a year just to learn a little humanity.

You don't potentially kill another human being because they are rude.

I would hope food servers at least have to take a basic food handling course and understand the severe ramifications of potentially introducing dangerous pathogens into consumables.
  • Minifelly
    Minifelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I very much agree with that. Alot of people have no idea what we have to put up with, and think our job is a piece of cake. Come have someone tell you are stupid because the kitchen messed up their food and make you feel like crap because you are suppose to be taking care of their every need. It sucks but there are rewards but those come alot less than the crappy people.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    [/quote]

I very much agree with that. Alot of people have no idea what we have to put up with, and think our job is a piece of cake. Come have someone tell you are stupid because the kitchen messed up their food and make you feel like crap because you are suppose to be taking care of their every need. It sucks but there are rewards but those come alot less than the crappy people.
    [/quote]

Once again yes there are sh-tty entiltled people out there but you do not risk someone's life and health because you are pissed.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Once again yes there are sh-tty entiltled people out there but you do not risk someone's life and health because you are pissed.
    [/quote]

Yes. Because spitting in someones food is going to kill them. Yup. Makes perfect sense.

Putting eye drops in someone's drink... Well that's a different story, but I have a hard time believing people take to that level. Or at least do so very rarely and if they do, then they as low life's.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

[/quote]

Yes. Because spitting in someones food is going to kill them. Yup. Makes perfect sense.

Putting eye drops in someone's drink... Well that's a different story, but I have a hard time believing people take to that level. Or at least do so very rarely and if they do, then they as low life's.
    [/quote]

Actually spitting in someone's food can kill them. Imagine you have an unusually strong virulent strain of streptococcous and you are asymptomatic. Now you spit in someone's glass who say just got done with a round of chemo treatments or has HIV. Well guess what you have introduced a bacterium into another human beings body with a weakened immune system. You can potentially kill that person. Yes, what may be thought of harmless can kill. Not to mention a child may eat the food or an elderly person both at very high risk of food borne illness.

Your state must not require a food handler's card?

If I caught any of my employees doing that not only would I fire but would also report them immediately to the state board of health to potentially remove their ability to have a food handlers card. To risk my patient population and the facility license would be inexcusable.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Ugh, you're f**king gross. Nothing justifies that kind of behavior.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    intersting, never thought of garnishing the tip because of bad service of refilling a refreshment. I shall remember this :indifferent:
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Weirdos. Just give your staff a wage already.

Servers make at least $8-12 dollars an hour here plus tips, entry level. :)

For the united states, servers make anywhere from $3.00- to $7.25 (or whatever the specific's state minimum wage is)

They CERTAINLY don't make $9.00/hr before tips.

Just sayin'

They do in California. Easy. $8.00 is minimum wage here anyway. =)

Fast food around here starts at $11/hr

PS. Anyone that tampers with food should be thrown in jail.

Reading this thread makes me feel like some servers think it's the most stressful job in the world. Yeah, it's busy. But try being a nurse, doctor, surgeon, lawyer, software engineer, project manager, call center representative, telemarketer, etc. A lot of jobs are extremely stressful, and a lot of mistakes can cost a company tens of thousands to millions of dollars. I appreciate that getting yelled at by customers sucks, and getting blamed for everything sucks, and getting shouted at from both end sucks, and being so overwhelmed you just want to crawl under a table and hit yourself with a hammer until it all goes away- but most of us just suck it up and show up the next day without acting like a martyr. :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Actually spitting in someone's food can kill them. Imagine you have an unusually strong virulent strain of streptococcous and you are asymptomatic. Now you spit in someone's glass who say just got done with a round of chemo treatments or has HIV. Well guess what you have introduced a bacterium into another human beings body with a weakened immune system. You can potentially kill that person. Yes, what may be thought of harmless can kill.

Your state must not require a food handler's card?

If I caught any of my employees doing that not only would I fire but would also report them immediately to the state board of health to potentially remove their ability to have a food handlers card. To risk my patient population and the facility license would be inexcusable.
    [/quote]

Most managers don't care much, they're just as aggravated as the staff, unless it's a higher end restaurant.

I have no idea what a food handlers card is, but again it's pretty simple- don't treat your server like garbage and you don't have to worry about it. I've personally never done it myself, as my boss is okay with us verbally defending ourselves, but I've known other servers to do it in other restaurants.
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @GetSoda ....You should go walk a mile in a servers shoes and see if you're still a pompous jerk to food service people. You are the customer that servers hate. Don't be surprised if someone messes with your food; I'm just saying

Oh and by the way...most servers dont complain about their jobs. They take crap like yours with a smile and move on. But also remember that most servers are college students putting themselves into the better jobs like being a doctor, lawyer, etc. So A holes like you are just a blip on the radar as they move on to bigger and better things. It isn't asking a lot to have some human decency, and not make their day any more stressful. You wouldn't want your customers, patients, clients, etc to make your day a living hell...
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    @GetSoda ....You should go walk a mile in a servers shoes and see if you're still a pompous jerk to food service people. You are the customer that servers hate. Don't be surprised if someone messes with your food; Im just saying

Yup
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    [/quote]

They do in California. Easy. $8.00 is minimum wage here anyway. =)

Fast food around here starts at $11/hr

PS. Anyone that tampers with food should be thrown in jail.

Reading this thread makes me feel like some servers think it's the most stressful job in the world. Yeah, it's busy. But try being a nurse, doctor, surgeon, lawyer, software engineer, project manager, call center representative, telemarketer, etc. A lot of jobs are extremely stressful, and a lot of mistakes can cost a company tens of thousands to millions of dollars. I appreciate that getting yelled at by customers sucks, and getting blamed for everything sucks, and getting shouted at from both end sucks, and being so overwhelmed you just want to crawl under a table and hit yourself with a hammer until it all goes away- but most of us just suck it up and show up the next day without acting like a martyr. :)
    [/quote]

Well Id even be happy with a heavy fine for malicious intent to contaminate food.

I watched a doctor get punched today. Do you know what he did after this person was calmed? He just turned and smiled at me and asked me if my fiancé knew about any good humidors. He brushed it off. The man was punched in the face, but he didn't turn around and spit in the other person's face or push the other person to the floor no the other person was redirected and we all went back to our usual business nothing personal sh-t happens.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    @GetSoda ....You should go walk a mile in a servers shoes and see if you're still a pompous jerk to food service people. You are the customer that servers hate. Don't be surprised if someone messes with your food; I'm just saying

Oh and by the way...most servers dont complain about their jobs. They take crap like yours with a smile and move on. But also remember that most servers are college students putting themselves into the better jobs like being a doctor, lawyer, etc. So A holes like you are just a blip on the radar as they move on to bigger and better things. It isn't asking a lot to have some human decency, and not make their day any more stressful. You wouldn't want your customers, patients, clients, etc to make your day a living hell...

I'm terribly sorry that you weren't able to understand my posts and have somehow been pushed into a tangent. But, perhaps I've missed something. What behavior have I indicated that 'makes their lives more stressful?' Is it sitting quietly and waiting 5-8 minutes for a refill while my food gets cold? Or maybe when I occasionally wave a server down and ask for a soda?
    Or am I a jerk because the server disappears for up to 15 minutes in a non-busy restaurant, and I have to hunt down the kitchen to get something to drink?

Maybe it's that time I tipped the waitress 100% that left the pitcher for me. That was probably stressful to figure out on her taxes.

Or do you mean the three cent tip for the waiter at the empty restaurant that dropped the food off and completely vanished? I'm afraid that was fully justified. No service, no tip.