Cardio Ideas?

Options
I have always done cardio (running, elliptical, swimming, etc) but after having a baby 9 months ago, tendinitis in my ankle, and a lot of hip and IT band pain, I'm finding cardio difficult but know that it's the last piece to my weight loss puzzle. I also can't really do anything with jumping or heavy squatting. Anyone have alternate cardio ideas? Should I just stick to weights? So frustrating!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com has some low-impact options (you can select for that on the search page) for at-home workout routines. That would probably work well with caring for a baby. (Congratulations!) Also biking, either outside or on a stationary or spin bike! Maybe swimming or pool running, if you have access to a pool? That tends to make me pretty hungry, though, so you'd want to watch out for that.

As far as the tendinitis and ITB issues, I made a *ton* of progress dealing with those by strengthening my hip girdle muscles. I used the so-called MYRTL exercises for strength and a foam roller for stretching.
    http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

So if you have any interest in getting to a point where you could run or jump or whatever again, just know it's possible. (Like, I went from not being able to *walk* without crying from ITB pain, to finishing a marathon. Running. That kind of possible.)
  • cal1417
    cal1417 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the great ideas and resources! I'm so frustrated with all the pain I'm having with my leg, knee and ankle-I know the weight would be coming off a lot faster if I was able to exercise how I really wanted to!! I appreciate your advice and support!