Scared to add more weight when squating.. Feel silly asking

Hi All

Has anyone else been afraid to add more weight when squating ? I feel like I can add more weight but don't because Iam afraid my legs will fail and I won't be able push back up. Has anyone felt this way and what did you do to be sure adding weight was a good idea ?

Thanks

Replies

• mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Preferably you squat in a way that you can safely fail.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    If you can do 2 additional reps in the last 2 sets of your squats, you should be fine to increase your weight. a 10-20 lb increase shouldn't make your legs fail. Maybe start by not going as deep until you get used to the higher weight.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    or make sure you are squatting with a spotter / in a cage / in a rack with safeties for that extra confidence.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Preferably you squat in a way that you can safely fail.
    this. i use the safety bars on the power cage when i know i'm near my max and especially on the last set.

plus after you fail a squat you realize it's not that big of deal. i've only had to drop a weight twice, once with a back squat and once on a front squat. both times i let safety bar catch the weight and i either went backwards f0r the front squat or forward with the back squat. no big deal no one got hurt. these things happen when you try to push your limits