Major Wake Up Call

Options
sjgoos
sjgoos Posts: 13 Member
Hi, I'm 31 years old, and had a major wake up call right after Christmas. I was getting into my moms car, and my younger nieces told me I was bigger than the car. Then, after I get home, and think about things. I realize, that I just ate almost a whole jar of con queso dip and chips without even knowing it. I need to stay positive, and it's very hard since I have been big all of my life. Right now, I am bigger than I ever have been, and it's embarrassing.
I got rid of all junk food and soups from my house. Bought fruits, veggies, hummus, stuff that is supposed to be good for you. After the last few days of being on MyFitnessPal, I have realized that I have too much sodium in my diet. I bought Mrs. Dash, and something called Real Salt to try and get into something with less sodium, but that still isn't working. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• shevillet90011
    Options
    sjgoos wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 31 years old, and had a major wake up call right after Christmas. I was getting into my moms car, and my younger nieces told me I was bigger than the car. Then, after I get home, and think about things. I realize, that I just ate almost a whole jar of con queso dip and chips without even knowing it. I need to stay positive, and it's very hard since I have been big all of my life. Right now, I am bigger than I ever have been, and it's embarrassing.
    I got rid of all junk food and soups from my house. Bought fruits, veggies, hummus, stuff that is supposed to be good for you. After the last few days of being on MyFitnessPal, I have realized that I have too much sodium in my diet. I bought Mrs. Dash, and something called Real Salt to try and get into something with less sodium, but that still isn't working. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

• shevillet90011
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I'm 30, 3 kids, and 300 pounds and I'm tired of this life the hardest part of this journey I found is changing my diet
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
    You are totally not alone and you will find a lot of support on here. I wish you all the success.
    A few suggestions- figure out your daily calorie goals to lose weight, buy a food scale, weigh, measure and log everything...it will really make a difference! You can still eat yummy foods that you like just measure them and log it.
    Also maybe see about joining some groups to help you, there are so e for different weights, goals, challenges, walking etc.
    As far as sodium goes (I'm very sensitive to sodium) the fresher the better. I avoid frozen dinners, canned soups, any prepackaged meals.
    Hummus is great! Like with everything measure it out because it can be easy to over eat.

All the best!
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not a huge deal at the moment as your just starting out :smile: stick with your calorie limits and the pounds will slowly melt away.

You will find in Packet and Processed food do have a very high salt content.

have you thought about trying to cook of the things from scratch that come in packet, see how that goes to get your salt down.

As for healthy foods, no food is off limits, you just have smaller amounts the grate thing about this site you don't have to eat food you don't like. so I'll pass on the hummus (even if they say it's healthy).

Also don't beat your self up if you eat to much and have a blow out, write it down and start all over again the next day...

Good Luck and welcome :smiley:
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a salt issue, too. It's pretty much trial, and error. Don't beat yourself. Just be more careful. Take it easy like the other girls said. Just take it one meal at a time, and that's how I learned to stay away from certain high sodium foods.

You can do it. Add me as a friend!
    I got serious on my 30th birthday back in June 2014. I'm down 22 pounds in 5 months. Let's just stick together!
  • loseby30
    Options
    Hi I too have been challenged with weightloss. I have lost some, but no where close to a healthy weight. I have had the biggest problem of maintaining healthy eating and exercise. Mainly exercise. I just have to keep myself motivated to workout. I have the means to do it. I'm not a big fan of Mrs. Dash, but I have tried seasoning from Whole Foods and I also use garlic salt as well. It had helped me. I love onions, garlic and bell peppers. Don't worry too much. You will eventually find what healthy methods tastes good to you. These veggies help so much!