ANY CAKE DECORATORS/FOOD WORKERS?

Options
Hi

I'm a self employed cake decorator. I've put on a lot of weight since starting two years ago (taste testing and quality control ;-) )

Wanted to know if there are any other people working in the food industry? What are you tips for resisting?

I'm brand new to MFP so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place etc!!

And feel free to add me as a MFP friend.

Replies

• Sparkie_66
    Sparkie_66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work at Olive Garden....home of the never ending everything. It's hard to resist those little mints and the "dead" food in the expo window and the drawer full of breadsticks calls my name every now and then. lol For me, every time I'm tempted, I look at our nutrition charts. One breadstick is 140 calories. The chicken and shrimp carbonara is 1400, I believe. Then I think about what my calorie intake should be for the day and realize that it's just not worth it. A few years back, I'd lost 50 pounds. There was NOTHING...no donut, cake, snack food....that ever made me feel the way I felt when I'd accomplished this.

Five years later, several lifestyle setbacks (divorce, boyfriend dying from cancer, moving, etc.) and the pounds are back on. I'm finding it difficult to be motivated when I'm so overwhelmed with the stresses I'm under, but I've set goals and want to achieve them.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's hard. We have these amazing homemade chips I have to walk by no matter what I do in the kitchen. We go throw them so fast they're always warm and fresh!!! They got me but I got into the habit of only going into the kitchen when necessary(still a lot) or remind myself of goals when walking by them. We have yogurt handy too, so i can grab that if I really am in need of a snack.

We also do cocktail hour with appetizers as it's a restaurant in a hotel. We usually split all the leftovers between all the employees. Saying no to those are quite hard as well.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i was a volunteer cake maker / sugar cookie creator this holiday season - man did my waistline pay for it.
  • annapetisidoro
    annapetisidoro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I am a specialty baker (macarons), and I make sugarflowers. I started gaining weight when I started baking a few years ago, and for the first time in my life overweight.