3500 cals = 1lb fat?

Options
Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year to all!!

I have a complicated question that I have been pondering... I understand this general rule - 3500 cals should equal 1lb of fat, what I was wondering is whether this is correct for everyone or if this changes depending on TDEE?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    no it doesn't change based on TDEE - it's just math, it doesn't change if you are able to eat more or less than someone else or if you change your TDEE by increasing (or decreasing) your activity level.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your TDEE will help you figure out how many calories you need to restrict per day to reach a deficit of 3500 calories, but it has no effect on the deficit needed.

Your TDEE - 500c per day x 7 days = 3500c deficit per week.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Because the way you're body processes fat is independent of weight, the rule is consistent for everyone. However, for some people it may be a little higher or a little lower, but that would be do to genetic causes and similar things, rather than things we control.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone! Sadly they weren't the answers i were hoping for... Good for me to have a better understanding now!