Supplements?!

2»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    I did my bulk with good old food. On a budget, coz I like nice clothes and holidays. I take multi vits and omega 3s though.

I tried all that other stuff too, but in the end I realised I was missing out on MEALZ, FOODZ and SCOOBY SNAX.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    kevinmacpa wrote: »
    Creatine works well for me.
    Take whey/dextrose/maltodextrin for preworkout and postworkout shake. I am in the camp that believes fast digesting carb and protein post workout helps recovery.

Whey/dextrose/maltodextrin are counted as meals for me, not supplements.

Yes, I'm in that camp too, I just do it with gnocchi and pasta sauce, or bagels cream cheese and salmon, or steak and chips and red wine, with greek yoghurt almonds and oats n maple syrup for breakfast. I just make sure I get the correct amount of macros in a four hour window around my workouts (3 hours before, one hour after), and I split my protein for steady release over three normal meals.

Mmmmmmmm steak n chips

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    Not to steal this thread from the OP but what's everyone's thoughts about pre-workouts?

Those are just stimulants. I started taking one on very rare occations when I just didn't feel I was going to be able to put in enough effort due to mental fatigue, but for the most part they aren't very helpful.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Take whey/dextrose/maltodextrin for preworkout and postworkout shake. I am in the camp that believes fast digesting carb and protein post workout helps recovery.

Reloading glycogen is one thing but if your protiens haven't been assimulated into the amino acid pool then it's not going to be there for the "window" after your workout -- BTW when does that window open and close? If that's your goal then eat your protein well before you workout so that it's avaialble to you when that window opens. I still enjoy a post workout shake but most of that is mental thing and you going to want to drink something anyway so might as well get some protein and carbs while you are at it.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member

Reloading glycogen is one thing but if your protiens haven't been assimulated into the amino acid pool then it's not going to be there for the "window" after your workout -- BTW when does that window open and close? If that's your goal then eat your protein well before you workout so that it's avaialble to you when that window opens. I still enjoy a post workout shake but most of that is mental thing and you going to want to drink something anyway so might as well get some protein and carbs while you are at it.

I usually have one meal about half hour to one hour before workout. During this meal, I eat about 30 to 40 grams of protein from lean meat, and 20 to 50 grams of slow digesting carb. About 5 min before workout, I have a shake with 30 grams of whey and about 40 grams of malto/dextrose mix with 50/50 ratio. This provides sufficient energy for any workout. About 5 to 10 min after workout, I take another shake with 30 grams of whey and 60 grams of malto/dextrose mix and 3 grams of creatine.

When I used to workout before, I never drink post workout shake, and just eat a big meal afterwards, ever since I start drinking post workout shakes with carb mixed in, I feel much less soreness during recovery, and it felt like the recovery process is a bit faster.
  • Wheelhouse15

I usually have one meal about half hour to one hour before workout. During this meal, I eat about 30 to 40 grams of protein from lean meat, and 20 to 50 grams of slow digesting carb. About 5 min before workout, I have a shake with 30 grams of whey and about 40 grams of malto/dextrose mix with 50/50 ratio. This provides sufficient energy for any workout. About 5 to 10 min after workout, I take another shake with 30 grams of whey and 60 grams of malto/dextrose mix and 3 grams of creatine.

When I used to workout before, I never drink post workout shake, and just eat a big meal afterwards, ever since I start drinking post workout shakes with carb mixed in, I feel much less soreness during recovery, and it felt like the recovery process is a bit faster.

If you feel that it works then that's the important part just understand that the post workout shake is not supported by the research. It's your workout and your body so go with what you believe works best.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Not to steal this thread from the OP but what's everyone's thoughts about pre-workouts?

Haven't tried them but I did have red bull before and during a 1 RM test (wouldn't normally spare the sweetie calories but it was a special occasion) - seemed to help.

....but so did whisky and lemonade one night I went out there after a drink :/
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    I started taking BCAA's about 5 weeks ago and have not been losing any weight since I started.......but I have had to close my belt one notch tighter. My wife has even said that she has noticed my upper body gains as of lately (Chest & Arms). I like the Aminocore & the Xtend, for 60 cents a serving of 8 Grams it isn't bad. And this stuff taste delish.....like Kool-aid
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2015
    The only supplement that I have found to be 'worth it' are creatine and BCAAs. There's definitely science behind creatine and many people seem to find it useful to get those extra few reps. I certainly have. I don't know much about the science behind BCAAs during a workout (I know plenty about BCAAs, as I'm a medical student), but they seem to keep me going longer in the gym when I take them during my workout. That might just be because I love the taste of mine (orange mango twist). Very potentially just a placebo effect for me. So yea, a give creatine my recommendation, and you can try BCAAs but they certainly aren't as useful as creatine IMO.

Whey can also be helpful, but it isn't necessary unless you can't hit your protein goal, which sounds like you easily do. But let's be honest, that isn't too hard to do when you realize that you don't really ever need more than 1.25g/lb body weight (arbitrary number, but you get my point).

Good luck!

P.S. You didn't ask about fish oil OP, but I take those as well. Lot's of science behind omega 3 (EPA and DHA) so at the very least it doesn't hurt. You can find it pretty cheap at your grocery store - Kroger usually has a BOGO sale on it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    The only supplement that I have found to be 'worth it' are creatine and BCAAs. There's definitely science behind creatine and many people seem to find it useful to get those extra few reps. I certainly have. I don't know much about the science behind BCAAs during a workout (I know plenty about BCAAs, as I'm a medical student), but they seem to keep me going longer in the gym when I take them during my workout. That might just be because I love the taste of mine (orange mango twist). Very potentially just a placebo effect for me. So yea, a give creatine my recommendation, and you can try BCAAs but they certainly aren't as useful as creatine IMO.

Probably a placebo since the only things I know that could be used as an immediate energy source would be simple sugars, some other carbs that break down fast, MCTs and alcohol. I could be missing something, though.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    edited January 2015
    I used creatine for a while, and liked it well enough.
    Daily, I take: vitamin D, fish oil, a B vitamin. I've used pre-workouts before (verdict: meh. It helped a tiny bit, but no more than regular practice would). I'm also a big fan of Natural Calm, a magnesium supplement. It helps me sleep more soundly.

Edited to remove duplicate sentence.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Do I need supplements to be gaining muscle in the best possible way?
    Do I need creatine?
    Amino acids?
    Whey protein?
    What supplements do you take? If any

My diet is protein packed

No, supplements are just that, to supplement if your diet is lacking. The best possible way to gain muscle is eat in caloric surplus and lift heavy things often.

No, you don't "need" creatine (assuming your question is to supplement). Need infers you will not exist without it. You may "want" creatine as the research is pretty concrete on its benefits. Some respond better than others, but it would take a Dexa scan to really put any value to it. Just take it if you are serious about lifting. Its cheap.

Amino Acids are protein. Didn't you say you ate protein?

Whey protein is protein. Didn't you say you ate protein? Now if you think you are lacking on your daily protein intake, you might need to supplement with that.

The supplements I currently take are:

Creatine - I notice a small increase in work capacity while on Creatine
    Fish Oil - Omega3 and since I don't eat oily fish as often as I should, its insurance
    Vitamin D & K - deskjob stuck inside during daytime, so very little sunlight exposure
    Melatonin - take when needed if having trouble sleeping
    Multi-Vitamin - use as insurance while I'm on a caloric deficit as a "just in case" since I'm not eating at my body's maintenance
    Caffiene - stimulant for morning and pre-workout
    Beta Alanine - proven supplement that I feel has increased my work capacity
    I also take a BCAA powder that has Citrulline in it - Sometimes go for more hours than I like without an influx of protein, so take it as a low calorie source (again as insurance mostly) and the Citrulline has been shown to help with reduced fatigue and blood flow.

Just realize, that your diet of food is 99% of your nutrition. Supplementation will be that remaining 1%. Sadly enough, people are far to focused on the 1% these days it seems.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member

Hit and miss. Sometimes the stimulants can help you push extra hard on a set. Sometimes it is so much stimulant it can make you physically sick (like lightheaded-ness that leads to neasuea/vomitting). Regardless of what happens, they are "bursty" and last only about an hour, after which there is a giant comedown and you are basically going to be really tired/disinterested in working out further. Helps to be well hydrated before you take them and have a light snack with it, I found. Less chance of getting the dizzies.

My advice: use them to break plateaus if you have one, but that is about it. Don't consistently take them. And definitely only take one scoop, that is all you really need.
  • Brolympus

Probably a placebo since the only things I know that could be used as an immediate energy source would be simple sugars, some other carbs that break down fast, MCTs and alcohol. I could be missing something, though.

Creatine is a pretty well documented supplement. Consistent use promotes better ATP upkeep. Essentially, you can workout longer without getting tired. I definitely notice a difference during de-load weeks where I don't take it, especially in the last 30 minutes of my workout.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I take a multivitamin, whey protein if I am having a hard time hitting my protein macro, and a preworkout. I only take the preworkout on days that I go to the gym at 5am before work. My stomach would get sour if I had coffee.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Brolympus wrote: »

Creatine is a pretty well documented supplement. Consistent use promotes better ATP upkeep. Essentially, you can workout longer without getting tired. I definitely notice a difference during de-load weeks where I don't take it, especially in the last 30 minutes of my workout.

Creatine isn't a macro (should have been clearer there) it's a precursor to ATP and it still needs to be absorbed through normal digestion. The ones I mentioned are more immediate fuel sources when ingested.
  • Brolympus

Creatine isn't a macro (should have been clearer there) it's a precursor to ATP and it still needs to be absorbed through normal digestion. The ones I mentioned are more immediate fuel sources when ingested.

So you are saying I should just pre-load with vodka and skip the creatine? :p
  • Wheelhouse15

So you are saying I should just pre-load with vodka and skip the creatine? :p

No, you weren't paying attention I clearly implied to use both... where did I go wrong? :p