what???
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wait, isn't protein a food?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When you eat to gain weight, it will be a mixture of fat and muscle. If you increase your strength training while eating more, you will most likely gain more muscle than fat. So to gain muscle eat more and lift more.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    So give us an example of what kind of foods you are going to "pump your muscles" with.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's fat. The "gain weight" settings in MFP are too aggessive and will give your more calories per week than the body can turn into muscular gains. Lift heavy and eat 200-400 above TDEE.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    It's fat. The "gain weight" settings in MFP are too aggessive and will give your more calories per week than the body can turn into muscular gains. Lift heavy and eat 200-400 above TDEE.
    For me MFP wasn't high enough so I switched to the katch-mcardle calorie calculator which recommends around 500 more calories than MFP.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
  • DavPul
    Options
    For me MFP wasn't high enough so I switched to the katch-mcardle calorie calculator which recommends around 500 more calories than MFP.

I'd go with something like that too, but I'm thinking our idea of a tough week of workouts is a notch or two above where the OP is right now. Honestly, for most people starting out they're better off eating at maintenance, IMO
  • grantdumas7
    Options

I'd go with something like that too, but I'm thinking our idea of a tough week of workouts is a notch or two above where the OP is right now. Honestly, for most people starting out their better off eating at maintenance, IMO
    That's a good point.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I finally realized I could set it for gaining if I didnt do custom settings. Its spot on for me. I still think it suggested too low of caloried for cutting though... it tells me 3100 for gaining and 1600 for cutting and my TDEE is 2700...

And what do you mean by a "tough week of workouts"? I think i should be eating a 10-20% surplus doing a 3 day FBW. It's working very well.
  • DavPul
    Options
    If you're doing it and it's working for you why would I tell you to change anything?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it and it's working for you why would I tell you to change anything?

Not trying to attack you.. I just wondered what u defined as a tough week.. I think my week is pretty tough with only 3 days lifting. I was kinda surprised that its suggestion was congruent with what I had been doing. After reading what you wrote I set out to find the gaining option in the settings. Anyhow, I wouldnt use its settings either. I think people should calculate their own TDEE and have an understanding of what their doing. Picking some arbitrary number, or just trusting any old calculator, is careless.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I just wondered what u defined as a tough week...
    I think Dave was referring to the fact that, according to the other thread linked above, the OP is currently doing Power 90 (the predecessor of P90X), which isn't exactly conducive to muscle gain. It's more of a cardio/calisthenics workout.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    So you want to gain muscle without protein supplements, or without protein at all? You can gain muscle by eating normal food without any protein supplement, as long as you eat enough meat, eggs, soybeans, and other protein-rich food. If you consciously avoid protein and eat mostly carbs and fat, I think it's gonna be very tough to build muscle.