Doing it wrong??

Options

Replies

• tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just got a blender last week, it came in the mail yesterday and i made a smoothie with it. I've never liked tomatoe soup, but I am sure there are other things I can try that would be appealing to me.

Ok so carrots and celery will be my veggies for the crock pot. I'll also get broccoli, which I like to steam in the steamer.

Any suggestions on fruits that are cheap and filling? I normally stick with apples and oranges, but am kind of tired of that.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on fruits that are cheap and filling? I normally stick with apples and oranges, but am kind of tired of that.

Berries are my particular favorite. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries...
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of strawberries BUT right now being in VA, they are too expensive so I buy the frozen strawberries and berries and just grab/defrost as I need.. does NOT taste the same :( but I am not paying $5.00 for a small container of strawberries..

California spoiled me.. need to move back. lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I liked your dinner choice at home last night; macaroni and cheese, canned peas, and chicken. You used what was on hand, and the meal was balanced. Excellent low-budget meal planning, honey.

You asked what cheese to get. I get aged cheddar, low fat because it has lower calories and I'll eat less of it because of it's sharp taste. If you eat cheese slowly, you can pre-cut it and put it in the freezer. It comes out too crumbly, but often that does not matter.

You asked about how much water to put in your crock-pot soup. I'd say four cups with the bullion cube, chicken, celery, and carrots. Don't forget onion. You can also buy dehydrated onion that won't go bad and will always be on hand when you want to try your hand at cooking. You don't have to fill your crock-pot to the brim with water.

You asked what fruits are cheap and filling. I would add, "and keep well". You are right, apples and oranges are safe bets. Bananas are a good choice too. If they go brown before you use them up, peel them and put them in the freezer. They are still good in smoothies and in muffins. Pomegranates are sturdy and keep well. Soft fruits like berries I find best bought frozen so they don't have a chance to go bad. Kiwi fruit are sturdy too.

The best fruits to get are the ones in season. Here's a guide:

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/whats-in-season-winter
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am loving clementines right now. I have a big bowl of them on the kitchen island where they stay right in my face. They are easy to peel and you can have two for 80 calories. Plus the smell makes me happy!
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    DarbiB wrote: »
    Can I just say OP, that you've already accomplished and achieved so much? I have zero doubt that you're going to reach your fitness goals while being a full time student/full time employee/excellent mom.

Also for your crock pot, you had said a few times that you dont know what to make in it. I use my sundays to pre-plan my meals. My go-to lunch is chicken soup, which is cheap and easy to make. I buy a rotisserie chicken (about $6 at my grocery store), some bouillon cubes, garlic, onion,and add whatever veggies are floating my boat that day (often carrots, and spinach). I strip the chicken, and put half into the freezer for next week, and half into my crock pot. Chop up my veggies, and chuck everything in the crock pot and keep it on low for 8 hours. If I'm feeling fancy/theres a sale I might add a link or two of spicy sausage for extra protein and flavor.

Now, it's not the most gourmet soup, but it's pretty tasty. Plus its cheap and filling. Possibly something to try?

I'm probably going to get a rotisserie chicken tonight when I go to the store. For now that is easiest for me.

So lets say I put half of the chicken in the crock pot, carrots, (what other veggies do you put in your soup?) Then do you fill it with water and add some spices?

The crockpot part is simple, turn it on, and let it go for 8 hours. The ingredients for the crock pot is what is confusing.

TONS of garlic/onions for me. I like carrots and spinach as well (spinach would be especially good for you since you said you're anemic?). I also tend to like zuchinni, green beans, okra, and broccoli.

And yeah! Add some spices, some water, and you're good to go.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am loving clementines right now. I have a big bowl of them on the kitchen island where they stay right in my face. They are easy to peel and you can have two for 80 calories. Plus the smell makes me happy!

Clemintines are the BEST! I eat them like candy. Plus they come in those big boxes pretty cheap.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    One of the most important keys to crockpot cooking is SEASONING. Not just salt; some salt of course, but season your meat and vegetables well. Spices at the grocery store can be really pricey, though! I've found I can buy most spices at the dollar store: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, celery salt, etc. All for $1 each. Stock up on a variety of seasonings - it really helps!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you need to weigh your food on a digital scale

Cups are less than useful

do not eat back all exercise calories if using the MFP database - start with 50% then maybe work up to 75% if you're losing weight well

you're quite simply eating too much .. sorry

also it doesn't matter if you go over one day and under another as long as your weekly calories are in defecit - you're going over more than under in the last 4 days so you're not doing that

I'm sorry, but I disagree with most of this.

You do need to measure and a digital scale is useful, but cups works fine. What is important is that you are ACCURATE in what you log. If you do a search for images of 'portion size' you can get great pictures that help you make good decisions. You'll also get better with practice.

I eat back all my exercise calories, always have, and it works fine for me. However, you need to eat back your exercise calories on top of sedentary. If you don't do the same thing every day (I don't) and can afford it, buy a fitbit zip or other monitor that will put your exercise calories directly into MFP. And be comfortable eating that. Again, make sure you are set to sedentary.

Most importantly, you can't go over. It's fine for one day, but over the course of a week you HAVE TO BE AT OR UNDER YOUR NET CALORIE GOAL.

Most importantly, remember you are only set to lose a pound a week. Most of us have weights that wobble +- 3-5 pounds every day. So you could easily not see anything in a week. You won't see anything definitely if you didn't measure accurately and don't log your exercise properly. In a month you should if you're doing things write.

Three most important rules (IMH0):

1) Measure and log everything as accurately as you can.
    2) Follow the directions for MFP. It isn't rocket science. It doesn't take willpower. It just takes stubborn persistance.
    3) Don't give up!

You can do this.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »
    Exactly what this person said! Take it from me, I also had to do a over-haul on myself as well. I, just like you, do not cook either, so this was extremely hard to change. So my first step was to just try to make one meal a day at home. This started with dinner. I buy frozen chicken or seafood (like salmon or cod) and cook in a fry pan with some seasoning and heat-up a vegetable like the Green Giant Steamers, add a side of Instant Minute Wild Rice or Quinoa (think the plate like a pie and 1/2 should be veggie, 1/4 should be protein, and 1/4 should be carb).

Funny you wrote this - this almost exactly describes my easy/cheapish go-to meal. Hunk of meat in oven with seasoning mix (wrapped in foil to keep it moist). 1/4 - 1/2 cup dry minute rice, cooked. Frozen veggies (such as green beans). Maybe a glass of milk. Done.

I try harder when I cook for someone else haha. But I'm oh so happy I feel like I've "perfected" my go-to meal.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Tupperware grave yard. lol Hopefully you don't have any mold growing in them. That usually happens to me when I have left overs. yuck.

Cooking for 2 is admittedly tough because so many recipes make so much food! There are some cookbooks designed around smaller meals.

The alternative is to still make big batches and put some away in the freezer for another day. Pyrex makes some nice glass bins with plastic lids. If I make a big batch of chili or something else I'll usually put some in a couple of smaller bins for my husband to take as lunches, then I'll stash the rest away in a larger bin in the freezer for another day. Just make sure to label what you have so you know what you're getting into! I like the glass because if you pull them out to thaw the night before, you can put them into the oven in the morning and set the oven timer, and that way you have a hot meal when you get home. The crockpot is nice, too--I can't use it every day though because I get kind of tired of eating squishy food for days on end.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Tupperware grave yard. lol Hopefully you don't have any mold growing in them. That usually happens to me when I have left overs. yuck.

Cooking for 2 is admittedly tough because so many recipes make so much food! There are some cookbooks designed around smaller meals.

The alternative is to still make big batches and put some away in the freezer for another day. Pyrex makes some nice glass bins with plastic lids. If I make a big batch of chili or something else I'll usually put some in a couple of smaller bins for my husband to take as lunches, then I'll stash the rest away in a larger bin in the freezer for another day. Just make sure to label what you have so you know what you're getting into! I like the glass because if you pull them out to thaw the night before, you can put them into the oven in the morning and set the oven timer, and that way you have a hot meal when you get home. The crockpot is nice, too--I can't use it every day though because I get kind of tired of eating squishy food for days on end.

One more crockpot tip (that I learned via trial and error): don't use too much water or liquid. Example: say you put a roast in there. Season it well, add enough liquid to cover about 1/2 of the roast and then place your vegetables on TOP and season them. That way they aren't submerged in liquid and don't get water logged. This is particularly helpful when doing potatoes. The potatoes cooked on TOP of the meat are very soft and flavorful, but NOT waterlogged.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »
    If you don't have a salad spinner, put your washed greens in a clean pillowcase, go outside and swing it rapidly in a circle to fling most of the water off. You can store the greens in the pillowcase in your crisper. I actually prefer this to a salad spinner.

I love this! You can log that in as activity right? Arm workout! :D
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    One of the most important keys to crockpot cooking is SEASONING. Not just salt; some salt of course, but season your meat and vegetables well. Spices at the grocery store can be really pricey, though! I've found I can buy most spices at the dollar store: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, celery salt, etc. All for $1 each. Stock up on a variety of seasonings - it really helps!

Love this post. I didn't think about getting seasoning at the dollar store. I will def try that.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I liked your dinner choice at home last night; macaroni and cheese, canned peas, and chicken. You used what was on hand, and the meal was balanced. Excellent low-budget meal planning, honey.

You asked what cheese to get. I get aged cheddar, low fat because it has lower calories and I'll eat less of it because of it's sharp taste. If you eat cheese slowly, you can pre-cut it and put it in the freezer. It comes out too crumbly, but often that does not matter.

You asked about how much water to put in your crock-pot soup. I'd say four cups with the bullion cube, chicken, celery, and carrots. Don't forget onion. You can also buy dehydrated onion that won't go bad and will always be on hand when you want to try your hand at cooking. You don't have to fill your crock-pot to the brim with water.

You asked what fruits are cheap and filling. I would add, "and keep well". You are right, apples and oranges are safe bets. Bananas are a good choice too. If they go brown before you use them up, peel them and put them in the freezer. They are still good in smoothies and in muffins. Pomegranates are sturdy and keep well. Soft fruits like berries I find best bought frozen so they don't have a chance to go bad. Kiwi fruit are sturdy too.

The best fruits to get are the ones in season. Here's a guide:

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/whats-in-season-winter

Thanks, I'm eating leftovers from dinner, for lunch. The chicken and veggies.

I love kiwi's, so I will get some of those, and see if they have any cheap berries.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I have been diagnosed with PCOS Polycystic Ovary Sydrome, which can make it harder to loser weight. Most women that have this have to do low carb to lose weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have read every post in this thread. I'm so overwhelmed by the excellent advice and the attitude of the OP. So refreshing!

One super easy recipe for the crockpot that I love is chili. It sounds complicated but not the way I do it. I buy the McCormick's spice envelope for chili that you can get in the grocery store. Safeway often has them on sale buy 2, get one free. I stock up. :)

The back of the envelope has a super easy recipe:

The packet
    one can of diced tomatoes, including the juice -or- tomato sauce
    one can of beans (kidney or pinto), including the juice
    one pound of ground beef, browned

Throw everything in to the crockpot and let it go while you're working. When I get home I make cornbread and we eat it with a salad. I also serve it with grated cheese and chopped onion to sprinkle on top. For cornbread I usually just by the cheap Jiffy brand that comes in the little blue box in the baking aisle at the grocery store for about 50 cents. If you have the ingredients on hand, and they don't spoil so I always have them in my pantry, you can even make this on the stove top last minute and it still tastes great.

I often double the recipe when I make it because my husband and son love it and we'll all eat the leftovers for lunches at work. You could also double it and freeze some of it for a meal the following week or whatever. When I double it I'll usually do one can of each type of bean and one can of diced tomatoes and one of tomato sauce. I buy the low salt versions of the beans and of the spice mix.

Another tip, I buy my ground beef in bulk at Costco but you could do the same when it's on sale in the stores. When I get home I portion the meat out into freezer bags in different amounts. I write on the bag the amount and the date. You could do half pound bags since there are two of you. You could also make 1/4 pound "patties" and just throw a bunch of them in the same bag with some wax paper between them so they'll freeze separately. If you don't have a food scale, and you'll want one anyway, you'll need to get one to do this but it's more than worth it.

I'll also cook up a couple of pounds of the beef (one pound at a time so I can package it in one pound increments) that day and then freeze it after it cools. This gives me a really quick base for a lot of recipes and saves me time on weeknights.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I like using mix packets - ranch dressing mix, French onion soup mix, etc. And then a bunch of extra garlic because, garlic. My go-to for cooking chicken:

A cup or two of stock (or water)
    Stir in the mix packet
    Add a can of cream-of-something soup
    Add a bunch of extra garlic
    add the chicken, can be frozen or not (I use thighs, I hate white meat)

Cover & cook. Leave it long enough and the chicken will just fall apart, you can eat it that night on rice, then put in on salad the next night. Or in a sandwich.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I have been diagnosed with PCOS Polycystic Ovary Sydrome, which can make it harder to loser weight. Most women that have this have to do low carb to lose weight.

That would be one to discuss with your doctor, for sure.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I have read every post in this thread. I'm so overwhelmed by the excellent advice and the attitude of the OP. So refreshing!

One super easy recipe for the crockpot that I love is chili. It sounds complicated but not the way I do it. I buy the McCormick's spice envelope for chili that you can get in the grocery store. Safeway often has them on sale buy 2, get one free. I stock up. :)

The back of the envelope has a super easy recipe:

The packet
    one can of diced tomatoes, including the juice -or- tomato sauce
    one can of beans (kidney or pinto), including the juice
    one pound of ground beef, browned

Throw everything in to the crockpot and let it go while you're working. When I get home I make cornbread and we eat it with a salad. I also serve it with grated cheese and chopped onion to sprinkle on top. For cornbread I usually just by the cheap Jiffy brand that comes in the little blue box in the baking aisle at the grocery store for about 50 cents. If you have the ingredients on hand, and they don't spoil so I always have them in my pantry, you can even make this on the stove top last minute and it still tastes great.

I often double the recipe when I make it because my husband and son love it and we'll all eat the leftovers for lunches at work. You could also double it and freeze some of it for a meal the following week or whatever. When I double it I'll usually do one can of each type of bean and one can of diced tomatoes and one of tomato sauce. I buy the low salt versions of the beans and of the spice mix.

Another tip, I buy my ground beef in bulk at Costco but you could do the same when it's on sale in the stores. When I get home I portion the meat out into freezer bags in different amounts. I write on the bag the amount and the date. You could do half pound bags since there are two of you. You could also make 1/4 pound "patties" and just throw a bunch of them in the same bag with some wax paper between them so they'll freeze separately. If you don't have a food scale, and you'll want one anyway, you'll need to get one to do this but it's more than worth it.

I'll also cook up a couple of pounds of the beef (one pound at a time so I can package it in one pound increments) that day and then freeze it after it cools. This gives me a really quick base for a lot of recipes and saves me time on weeknights.

haha I am making chili tonight but mine is slightly different :)