Cutting Calories, Exercising, Not losing weight

Options
Hello,

It appears as though I have hit some kind of plateau. I have been cutting my calories (for about 4 weeks now) down to around 1520-1530/day. My protein is at 170 grams, my carbs are at 120-127, and my fat is generally at about 43. I am not losing any weight. In addition to this, I exercise twice per day 6 days per week. In the morning I strength train and in the afternoon I do cardio. I was just doing steady state but am switching to HIIT this week to see if that makes any difference. Last week I did a refeed day and dropped 3 pounds, but the weight just came right back up again a few days after that. Any help for pushing through this??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? I went back about 4-5 days in your diary and the measurements of your foods are the same every day. How do you know you're eating 4 ounces of chicken or that your sweet potato is always 3.5 ounces? What is a medium banana? These show that you're probably eating more than you think.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much. Drop your daily calorie goal to 1200.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale? I went back about 4-5 days in your diary and the measurements of your foods are the same every day. How do you know you're eating 4 ounces of chicken or that your sweet potato is always 3.5 ounces? What is a medium banana? These show that you're probably eating more than you think.

This^^
  • alysonbriggs22
    Options
    I use a food scale every day and weigh everything meticulously
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    1200 might be a tad drastic, but I agree with the sentiment. You may have reached maintenance; cut the calories back again. You have some wiggle room there.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Stats?
    Height, Weight, age...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    ^^ don't listen to this!! noone needs to eat THAT little unless you're very petite and very sedentary!
  • alysonbriggs22
    Options
    I'm 25 years old, 5'4", 128lbs. I'm training for a bikini competition.
  • alysonbriggs22
    Options
    ^^ don't listen to this!! noone needs to eat THAT little unless you're very petite and very sedentary!
    Thank you, yes, I really don't plan on cutting that low. I just cut from about 1900 down to 1500. 1900 was my maintenance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Hello,

It appears as though I have hit some kind of plateau. I have been cutting my calories (for about 4 weeks now) down to around 1520-1530/day. My protein is at 170 grams, my carbs are at 120-127, and my fat is generally at about 43. I am not losing any weight. In addition to this, I exercise twice per day 6 days per week. In the morning I strength train and in the afternoon I do cardio. I was just doing steady state but am switching to HIIT this week to see if that makes any difference. Last week I did a refeed day and dropped 3 pounds, but the weight just came right back up again a few days after that. Any help for pushing through this??
    It's NOT a plateau. A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF one is consistent with diet and exercise. I really wouldn't even call this a stall. Your body is still adjusting to how you're working out. Check back in another 2 weeks and reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • queenliz99
    Options
    How is it that your chicken always weighs in at 4 ounces? When I measure chicken it is never the same. Do you trim it each time to get to 4 ounces?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Thank you, yes, I really don't plan on cutting that low. I just cut from about 1900 down to 1500. 1900 was my maintenance.

thats a good plan, just cut by a couple of 100 and you'll see all will be well. Do you do any exercise? even just walking really helps. Exercise uplifts us, gives us a sense of general well being and burns calories :)
  • alysonbriggs22
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How is it that your chicken always weighs in at 4 ounces? When I measure chicken it is never the same. Do you trim it each time to get to 4 ounces?

Yes, I portion it out and cook in bulk.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yes, I portion it out and cook in bulk.

Wow!! That is dedication :)
  • alysonbriggs22
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hello,

It's NOT a plateau. A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF one is consistent with diet and exercise. I really wouldn't even call this a stall. Your body is still adjusting to how you're working out. Check back in another 2 weeks and reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks! Probably a needed reminder that I need to be patient lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would take a weigh in daily and then take a rolling 7 day average of your body-weight and look at that trend to determine whether or not any changes are occurring. This will rule out fluctuations that occur day to day and it would allow you to see with a bit more accuracy whether or not anything is happening on the scale.

Has your weight done ANYTHING in the 4 weeks? Are you exactly the same weight?

Have you taken measurements over the course of the 4 weeks and have those changed?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I would take a weigh in daily and then take a rolling 7 day average of your body-weight and look at that trend to determine whether or not any changes are occurring. This will rule out fluctuations that occur day to day and it would allow you to see with a bit more accuracy whether or not anything is happening on the scale.

Have you taken measurements over the course of the 4 weeks and have those changed?

^^ This is a good idea.
  • alysonbriggs22
    Options

Thanks! I do weigh in everyday, but hadn't thought of averaging it! My weight steadily fluctuates between 128-129, and has done so for four weeks. One day (last week) it went down to 127, and that was two days after I did a re-feed and upped my carbs to 160, lowered my protein to 150, and just kept my fat at 43 like it always is. A few days later I was back up to 129 though. Sometimes I'll even hit 130 again. It just gets frustrating.

Measurements-wise, I have lost an inch in my hips, but gained half an inch in each of my arms.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thanks! I do weigh in everyday, but hadn't thought of averaging it! My weight steadily fluctuates between 128-129, and has done so for four weeks. One day (last week) it went down to 127, and that was two days after I did a re-feed and upped my carbs to 160, lowered my protein to 150, and just kept my fat at 43 like it always is. A few days later I was back up to 129 though. Sometimes I'll even hit 130 again. It just gets frustrating.

Measurements-wise, I have lost an inch in my hips, but gained half an inch in each of my arms.

How is your appetite and overall energy levels? How food focused are you currently?

What was your training program like just before you started this cut, when you were on 1900 calories? I'm interested to hear about the differences in total training volume going from the maintenance phase to the deficit phase.
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    To clarify, you are cutting body fat for competition? How long till the competition? It sounds like diet is spot on. May just need a week or two for your body to shake it out.

You said you were going to switch to HIIT as a change of pace. That sounds like a good change to shake things up.

Here are some articles I found on cutting for competition. Maybe they have some tidbits for you.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek42.htm