Anyone else embarrassed to start going to the gym in January?

Options
I was not embarrassed last year because I was so ready and it just felt like a coincidence that when I felt "ready" it happened to also be the beginning of the year.
I stuck it out until April, and then I let life circumstances get in my way. Now, yet again, I'm ready to jump back in and it happens to be January. But this time I feel ashamed.
I don't really feel like I'm starting over, I feel like I'm picking up where I left off now that all the interruptions have been resolved. But it's not going to look that way to everyone else, and...

I'm just being dumb. But I wondered if anyone else struggled with the same thing. I'm actually really jazzed to start working out again, I just need to push past that initial bit of embarrassment.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    embarrassed about what?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    "But it's not going to look that way to everyone else"

I dont think anyone is paying attention. Jump back in.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. I know that there are all these posts damning those who go to the gym starting in January but everyone has to start somewhere. If it's January then it's January. It's not a big deal! What's your other option, wait until after the rush calms down? If that's your choice then chances are you'll lose your enthusiasm and not go. Go while you're excited about it and don't be embarrassed.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the gym is unconditional love.

go back into that warm embrace and - girl - do yourself a favor and dont quit this time, no matter what :flowerforyou:
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Being a "resolutioner" I guess. Serious gym people seem to look down on"resolutioners"... I know that's not a rule, most people are cool, but I have seen people here on MFP make fun of them. And I just never considered myself to be one of those people but then I ended up being one of those people. I'm disappointed in myself and I guess I'm projecting that on others.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

I don't think anyone is paying attention. Jump back in.

You're right. Most people won't notice, but then I think about my spin class that I used to love. I'm assuming it'll mostly be the same people and I wonder what they'll think...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Honestly, why does it matter what other people think? You're doing this for you, right?
  • bklynite
    Options
    I see it like this. If people are in the gym spending time worrying about new people appearing, then they aren't that committed to what they are doing in the first place. When I there I work out. I notice the new people but I don't say anything else but I am glad you made it. It's your health and your time. Make it count
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    to be honest, I'd be embarassed that I waited until january.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »
    Being a "resolutioner" I guess. Serious gym people seem to look down on"resolutioners"... I know that's not a rule, most people are cool, but I have seen people here on MFP make fun of them. And I just never considered myself to be one of those people but then I ended up being one of those people. I'm disappointed in myself and I guess I'm projecting that on others.

Ignore those people on here who put down those who decide to go to the gym in January. Yes, there are those who go for a little while then seem to fade away but they could have had a month free or something like that. They could have joined another gym, go at a different time or decided to just workout at home. I know that there are times where my husband and I get to the gym early in the morning -- a little after 6. Then there are the times where we hit the gym in the afternoon between 12 and 2. I'm sure the early birds think we quit but they don't realize that we just switched our time. And really, why is it anyone's business but your own?

I could consider myself a "Resolutioner" because I haven't been to the gym since before Thanksgiving. I was on vacation for a month and then work and catching up on sleep happened so I just got back into it this week. Do I care if people see me as that? No because they don't know me and really, some strangers opinion doesn't matter to me in the least (we did have some of the regulars who we are friendly with ask where we've been and we told them and they really didn't care).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Nobody is paying attention, man. They are there worrying about themselves. Go do your workouts and concentrate on your form while they think about their own problems. :)
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    "Serious gym people" wouldn't look down on anyone wanting to improve themselves, I don't think. Besides, who are you there for, the "serious (or even un-serious) gym people" or yourself? My son & I are going on Tuesday to possibly sign up at a gym. We aren't "resolutioners", it's just the 1st time both our schedules jived.

Jump on it, get back into the gym and cycle away!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    There are a zillion new people in the gym right now. For better or worse, you'll blend right in -- nobody is going to be looking at just you or noticing that you've been gone for awhile. If you're feeling a little insecure about going back, now is the perfect time because you won't stand out at all :)
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No one serious about working out will notice. I know when I went to the gym I never paid any attentions to others around me. I would smile or say Hey to the usual goers but other then that I got down to business just me and my Ipod. Now I workout at home and show up in my living room every night at 5:00 to give it my all. Either way hold your head high you are walking through the doors to make a change be proud it is better then the couch with ice cream =)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You're right. Most people won't notice, but then I think about my spin class that I used to love. I'm assuming it'll mostly be the same people and I wonder what they'll think...

maybe less thinking and more doing would fix you right up
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Your problem is that you think everyone cares or even remembers you. They don't. So just go and do what you need to do and don't worry about anyone else.
  • DirrtyH
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    to be honest, I'd be embarassed that I waited until january.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about.

But to everyone else, thanks. I was just being silly and needed a few seasoned gym goers to reassure me I was being silly.

... Also, I wish people actually thought *more* than they do. There are some idiots out there so I think I'll keep using my brain. But thanks.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Your problem is that you think everyone cares or even remembers you. They don't. So just go and do what you need to do and don't worry about anyone else.

Ditto...

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I am quite sure they will be excited to see you. They might ask where have you been out of concern but I am sure they will be happy to see you back.

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    if you need "reassurance" from a bunch of internet strangers...