Advice for a new outdoor runner

Options
cingle87
cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am your typical gym exerciser however a couple of days ago due to time constraints I was unable to get to the gym so I decided to go for a run outside even though it was -1c. According to runkeeper I managed to run 5miles in just under 50 minutes without really noticing, which was a huge suprise to me.

Went for a quick 5k run today and enojyed it more than running a 5k on the treadmil even though this time it was raining. Its seems then I have managed to some how have caught the outdoor running bug which Id never though Id say.

So any advice for a new outdoor runner? I am no beginner when I comes to running on the treadmil at the gym or exercising i general, any specific advice for running outdoor? Like is it best to run the same route slowly increasing the time or change it up every time and just hit the same distance etc.

Thanks in advance

Edited for a derp moment

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You are a beginner runner but run 6:15 miles on a whim? You don't actually need advice if that is the case.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    8 miles in under 50 minutes as a newbie? That is actually incredible if that's accurate.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! I wish I had that time.

My advise...enjoy being off the dreadmill and outdoors!
  • glevinso
    Options
    (I question the accuracy of that metric)
  • cingle87
    Options
    Sorry it was a 5 miles 8.something Km my bad
  • glevinso
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well in that case I retract my attitude :)

At this stage, don't worry about speed or distance. Just go outside and enjoy the fact that there is an outdoor activity you like to do. Personally although I love having my own treadmill for when it is not appropriate to run outside, I do run outside whenever I can. As long as it is light out, and not actively storming (or there is snow), I will run outside. It is excellent "alone" time to spend with your own thoughts, nobody is there to bother you or whatnot. I don't care what the temperature is for the most part. If it's cold I bundle up. If it's hot, I'll run shirtless.

Pick a route you like. Maybe it has a nice hill in the middle, or something scenic. I tend to run the same handful of routes but I do like to mix it up whenever I can. You will know approximately how long it takes you to do that route after the first few attempts, and you then know you have a ready-made 45 (or 60, or whatever) minute workout ready to go.
  • cingle87
    Options
    The main reason I want to not try and improve my outdoor time is im applying to join the RAF and you have to be able to run 2.4k in 11:11 on a treadmill but obiviously once meet the entry requirements I will be doing alot of running outside during basic and want to get a head start.