DASH diet

Options
Anyone doing the DASH diet? I'm about to start it for weight loss & to bring my blood pressure down so any tips, recipes, etc. would be super helpful!

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The only suggestion I would make is to change the recommended servings of meat a bit, 1-2 servings of meat per day is not nearly enough protein to support your body, with that being said the dash diet is a great starting point to a happier healthier life! 2015 is going to be your year!
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I immediately get skeptical of any diet that has a name.

I stick to a few rules:

* Moderation in all things
    * Eat 40/30/30 (carb, fats, protein)
    * Stay around my calorie limit
    * Exercise as often as I can

Everything's been fine so far! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There's nothing hinky about the DASH diet. And I'm a natural skeptic. Good choice.

http://dashdiet.org/what_is_the_dash_diet.asp

It's very similar to the diabetic diet which I follow, and it is sustainable.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I found the plate method handy to visualize portions.
    PlateMethod.jpg
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    From the mayo clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456?pg=1

It gives a pretty good overview. Out of all the "diets" out there this is one I'm not very skeptical about. Good luck to you OP.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    DASH isn't a marketing gimmick by some self-professed guru trying to sell something; it's just an update to the food pyramid guidelines. It's reasonable, sensible and basically just another way of stating the MFP (and common sense) approach to eating balanced meals in reasonable portions.

Unless you have a medical reason like hypertension, high blood pressure or heart disease, probably no need to worry all that much about sodium. But just following the approach to moderation and health will do you good.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    This is handy for visualizing portions:

79204_13.jpg
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The only suggestion I would make is to change the recommended servings of meat a bit, 1-2 servings of meat per day is not nearly enough protein to support your body, with that being said the dash diet is a great starting point to a happier healthier life! 2015 is going to be your year!

If your do for told you to do this (which many do to lower blood pressure) I would not make any alterations.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    1 to 2 a DAY? For most folks needing/wanting to do THE DASH DIET (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) the recommended levels are fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    I immediately get skeptical of any diet that has a name.

I stick to a few rules:

* Moderation in all things
    * Eat 40/30/30 (carb, fats, protein)
    * Stay around my calorie limit
    * Exercise as often as I can

Everything's been fine so far! :)

Do you have a medical condition that requires a special diet to improve your health?
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's funny you mention the DASH diet. This popped up on my Facebook timeline today, and I had never heard of the DASH diet before then: http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets?int=9c2508
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    It's funny you mention the DASH diet. This popped up on my Facebook timeline today, and I had never heard of the DASH diet before then: http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-overall-diets?int=9c2508

I had this on mine as well. There was a D.A.S.H. group on here a while back. Wonder if it's still active.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I hope I'll never get heart issues making me have to eat like that. I love fat and how it makes food taste soo good. I thought fat and even saturated was off the hook (right term?) regarding heart disease?
  • Sutts2014
    Sutts2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    PZlady wrote: »
    Anyone doing the DASH diet? I'm about to start it for weight loss & to bring my blood pressure down so any tips, recipes, etc. would be super helpful!

• Sutts2014
    Sutts2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am just starting the DASH diet for high blood pressure issues and for weight loss. Please feel free to friend me. I have a long journey toward good health and would love to share ideas and recipes with others.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not following the DASH diet (I use high-fat cheese, etc.), but I do find portion control really useful. It's an awful lot easier than weighing and measuring.
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The Dash Diet has been around for awhile. It is the top rated diet and has been for several years. It was originally designed for those with hypertension, but along the way people were losing weight with it. It is a very clean diet and can be altered for calorie intake as far as servings go. I started it 3 days ago.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of it, so I thought it was some kind of Kardashian-endorsed diet! Hahaha.
  • cristiansmom
    cristiansmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you still doing it? I am looking into it or high blood pressure. Mine was up a tiny bit last appointment and I am obese so I really need to do something. It looks good and not a gimmick. I am going to lower my salt also. My doc did not say to do this (YET) but I will need to go back in 2 weeks to just recheck blood pressure so hoping this will help.. I do not want medication!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options