Food addiction. Where to go for help

I just realize I'm addicted to food.
Since I remember I always wanted to lose weight ( not a lot though, my highest weight is 145). Before I was pregnant I weight 125. It was my perfect weight.
Since pregnancy I'm 133-145 lb heavy.
I know how to eat and what to eat, I just can not say no to the food.
I tried so many diets, and I failed so many times. But I was still looking for a new diet, because I was believing that this time it will be different, that this time , I can eat normal after a diet.
But it was always the same. I lost 10 lb and I quickly gained more back. Everyday I 'm saing to myself tomorrow I will start eating good, I will eat 5 more chocolates today. I love to eat and I can't stop eating. I eat pretty clean by 3-4 o'clock , but when I got home I can not stop eating. I eat even when I'm more than fool.
I have realized that I'm at the same point where I was1,2,3,4 years ago.
I know that I don't need to look for a new diet or exercise I just need to fix my head.
I'm addicted and I' m asking you if you know who can help me.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    The Google has many resources for food addiction.

On the other hand, we're all addicted to food.
  • tptouchdown
    tptouchdown Posts: 30 Member
    Lose the diet mentality. Work on creating a healthy diet that you can follow forever. If you don't your weight will keep going up and down in cycles. diets only work while you are on them and you can't keep to any 'diet' forever. Unless you really have a real issue with food, which it sounds like you don't, it is just a matter of keeping a healthy regime and sticking to it until it becomes natural. It isn't about always making the right choice but sometimes the better choice works! For example, dump the fast food hamburger and get a grilled chicken sandwich. Consistency is the most important thing.
  • linalovekitty
    linalovekitty Posts: 187
    how many calories/day are you talking about?
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    I agree with touchdown. You can't look at this as a "diet". It has to be a lifestyle change. I believe I was addicted to food as well. I would eat even when I wasn't hungry. I was a boredom eater. What works for me though is to simply not have any junk food in the house. I have a husband and 3 kids and they eat some things that I would not dare touch while trying to lose weight. I tell myself that those are theirs and not mine. That eating that stuff is what put me in my predicament in the first place. Now that I have my mind wrapped around that idea -- that those foods loaded with cals is what did this to me -- It's actually easy for me to say no to them. Last night I made turkey burgers and I had asparagus as my side and my kids had french fries. I was surprised to notice that it didn't bother me one bit. The first thing I noticed when I pulled them out of the oven was how greasy they looked. Today makes a week for me and thinking about things that way is working very well for me. I just hope it stays that way!
  • lenamae23
    lenamae23 Posts: 60 Member
    You have to stop dieting. Make life long changes. For example I switched ground beef out for Turkey, splenda sweetened tea for soda, cut my portions and exercise more than I used to. I am also addicted to food. I try to remember that all the food will still be there later and I don't need to eat it all now. I drink soda and still eat cookies just in moderation. You can over come this.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    I try to eat 1300 kcal plus exercise cal. I don't like junk food( hamburger, mcdonalds etc ) Most of the time I eat pretty good by 3 pm and than I binge. Maybe I dont eat enough calories by that time. I do physical work( clean houses ) Maybe i deprive myself. Maybe 1300 kcal is not enough ( 5, 05. 145 lb. ) i dont think I should eat more to lose weight though
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    It's so hard to say No to the food. Everytime I have to say No, I prefer to eat it and I tell myself that it's the last day, I will start tomorrow. But tomorrow never comes.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    I get the same way, I do good for the most part of the day, then that late afternoon hunger comes on and it hits fricken hard.
  • elizabethtodd1992
    elizabethtodd1992 Posts: 18 Member
    This is literally SPOT ON with my relationship with food. I never realized i had such a problem saying no to food until I had gained 30 lbs and started dieting. I feel kind of humiliated by it too, because I feel like I should be able to control myself but I just can't. Sorry I don't know how to help you, but I'll add you as a friend and maybe we can try motivating each other to keep out of the kitchen after work? :)
  • elizabethtodd1992
    elizabethtodd1992 Posts: 18 Member
    I try to remember that all the food will still be there later and I don't need to eat it all now. I drink soda and still eat cookies just in moderation. You can over come this.

Wow that's a really good way of looking at it!
  • this may be more physical than mental IMO

I have found myself in a similar position and its almost always bc I have been too regimented and strict with my eating during the day and then by late afternoon IM dying and ordering pizza. for me, its 100% phsyical.

here's why: different things work for different people. some people work well on the 5-6 small meals a day, for me its the opposite. Im always hungry on a 5/6 small meal plan bc I never get full. what works for me is to eat a small breakfast, a large lunch where I actually get full, medium late afternoon meal, and small dinner

9am- greek yogurt + high fiber granola (350)
    noon- homemade flank steak, black beans, brown rice, red peppers. 1 square dark chocolate (600 cals) **** this will keep me full for hours
    5pm- bowl of homemade whole grain protein pasta with victoria vegan veggie sauce (400cals)****this will continue to keep me full for another 3-4 hours. its also decadent and sort of resembles a "cheat" meal but is not. victoria vegan sauces are so light and delicious- she even has a vegan alfredo/pesto thats only 60cals/ 1/4 cup.
    8pm- greek yogurt organic crackers (270 cals)

so at the end of the day i end up between 1500-1700 calories. however, its this schedule that works best- if i divided every meal up evenly, or cut out food groups, or ate all in one or 2 huge meals, i wouldnt last. maybe thats whats happening to u