Foodies on the 1200ish calorie restriction...

Options
let's be friends! I want to see your diaries!

Replies

• fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am attempting to do a 1200 calorie a day diet for approximately a month before I up them a little because I am participating in a biggest loser competition at my work. I have decided to cut out all chocolate, candy, pop, ice cream, pastries, cake, chips, crackers and cookies. I have a MAJOR sweet tooth so it is going to be a challenge but I think it will help me lose some pounds! Feel free to add me and look at my dairy. I intend on it being a lot cleaner than it used to be!
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am also on the 1200! Because I am a receptionist and a tiny girl at 5-3, I don't burn many calories throughout the day. The only way to hit a deficit is to eat like 1700 or less, and 1200 is what I've come up with.

I've been able to get by really well on making lots of my meals mushroom based, which is completely delicious. I also eat tacos pretty much all the time. Campbell's Chunky Soups are a lunch staple. I try to use 400 calories on the first half of the day and then have a larger supper and a drink or two. I exercise every other day, adding about 400 extra calories to eat but I don't always use them up. I was definitely surprised how many calories a glass of wine accumulates... so that sucks but other than that it's been managable!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    OK; I'm not sure how helpful it will be though because I tend to just log the individual amounts and ingredients of what I ate. You can usually tell if it was a salad lol, or something like that. Putting together recipes on MFP is slow and painful so I almost never do that. I do cook from scratch almost exclusively. I use a lot of mushrooms too. Also green peppers and onions. A little olive oil. I make my own bread.
  • monica_reinert
    monica_reinert Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I try to eat around 1200 calories a day I have an open diary. Feel free to add me.
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I added you. I have an open diary and really suck at logging. I'm going to try and be more honest with it in the new year! PROMISE!
  • misschiplash78
    misschiplash78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Me too me too....
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry my app is being weird and I get rerouted when I try to click on someone's page. I can't add anyone, please add me. Thanks!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Add me, if you can. If not, I will add you later. I am at 1200 calories and watch Food Network while I work out!!! Think of it as some kind of desensitivity shock treatment. LOL.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cpalumbo89 wrote: »
    Sorry my app is being weird and I get rerouted when I try to click on someone's page. I can't add anyone, please add me. Thanks!

the exact same thing happens to me!! Would like to know why???
    I just write down the username and manually add them.

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm much of a "foodie" but I do net 1200 and my diary is open to friends. I thought everyone watched cooking shows while working out??? All those people who say they gain weight looking at food have it exactly backwards.
  • ericah971
    ericah971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within 1200 calories because i'm short. My diary is open so feel free to add me. I workout 6 days a week. My meals are homemade 95% of the time. I LOVE to cook and would love to exchange recipes and ideas with anyone.
  • victoria5936
    victoria5936 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Add me! I am looking to make friends to do the same. :)
  • Novican
    Options
    I have not eaten any junky snacks this year, but still manage to eat 1500 -1600 calories a day. 1200 is way difficult. I'm trying to get down to it slowly. I just want to know from experience what NO junk after a full year will do for me. What's 1 year in a lifetime? Maybe the year that makes me gain healthy habits forever.
  • fenshae
    fenshae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is in the 1900s right now, but I'm doing a Whole30 and finding that I'm naturally eating quite a bit fewer cals than that most days simply because I'm getting full sooner (lots and lots of veggies and good fats). I cook most all of my food at home and am happy to share recipes/explain any weird diary entries if they intrigue you :) (I've got some photos up in my blog, too)
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As a fellow foodie, I try to focus on quality instead of quantity; I'd rather have a smaller amount of something I really enjoy than a larger amount of something 'meh' (unless I am truly hungry). Example: today's lunch was hummus and rice crackers plus fruit (I love hummus). Over the holidays, I indulged in smoked salmon, scallops, dried cherries, hazelnuts, and some nice cheeses. The nice thing about these 'treats' is that a small amount usually satisfies me, and they're too pricey to allow me to overindulge!

I run 3/4 times per week, so my calorie allowance is usually 1600 - 1800 per day, which allows me a bit more flexibility.
  • Abberration
    Options
    I can't add people either, but feel free to add me! I cook dinner from scratch almost every night. Would love to share recipies, too.
  • Babeskeez_
    Babeskeez_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was doing my cut of my TDEE but wasn't losing last year so now I am doing the reco of 1250. I have an open diary for friends :) I am not a breakfast eater so thats why lots of my eating is night and snacks.
  • acdejong13
    acdejong13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here and was pleased to find this thread! I'm literally in week one, started at 1500 calories and decided to take it down to 1200 as I am hitting fruits and veggies harder than ever before! We recently joined a bountiful basket coop and the abundance of the fruits and veggies has really fired me up:) I'm 5'9 and 180lbs which is about 40 lbs heavier than I have ever been, time for a change...I'm open to new friends, hoping we can help eachother succeeded. Not sure how it has been for all of you but 1200 cal is a DRASTIC change and shock to my system, as is the introduction of all of this good food rather than the yuk, and I could use all the help I can get:)
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at 1200 even when my Fitbit earns me extras. It's no small accomplishment!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at 1200 even when my Fitbit earns me extras. It's no small accomplishment!

Everyone does realize that MFP is designed to calculate your calorie goal excluding exercise, and that any exercise that you do should be tracked and at least a percentage of calories eaten back in order to preserve lean muscle mass as well as other negative changes that can result from too large of a calorie deficit (hair loss, fatigue, etc). Not to mention that the additional calories help fuel the exercise, contribute to sustainability of the program, etc?

When I first started I too was set at net 1200 calories and was losing, but was not satisfied. I read more about TDEE and reasonable calorie deficits, increased my goal to first net 1400 then net 1500 and continued to lose about 1 lb/week. Once I had only about 10 lbs to lose I changed my goal to close to net 1700 and continued to lose about 0.5 lb/ week. I got a FitBit about midway through my first year on MFP and ate back those adjustments and continued to lose - have now been successfully maintaining for the last 8 months or so using FitBit, eating back those calories, etc.