Gluten Free? Looking for Friends and food ideas

Options

Replies

• nickelp22
    nickelp22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    alc212 wrote: »
    Meats, eggs and fruit and veg are your new friends. I've been gluten free (intolerant) for around ten years and once you get used to it, it's easier than it seems. Plenty of substitutes plus on the upside it makes it easier to say no to so many things that aren't good for us to have too much of anyway!
    Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends.
    I was a vegetarian for years and I think eating meat substitutes that had gluten fillers really kind of made me a little sicker. It does make is much easier to pass on all ubiquitous work cakes! I swear there is a new baked good daily for holloween to v day.
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have had all my results and I have non coeliac gluten intolerance, I am wanting to lose all the gluten weight again.
    I have to retrain my brain on food as i have been eating badly ie all the gluten food.
    Since the 1st January I have been gluten free.
    I have four children two live with their father, the other two hubby and I. They all eat normally, hubby is a chef and i do make my meals.
    Currently in the oven is a beef stew and i will be making gluten free dumplings to go on the top after school run.
    I would like to make more friends
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I do not have celiac nor do I eat gluten free... BUT a close family member is so I have tried to incorporate a lot of gluten free items into our diets and tried to find gluten free alternatives for my home. One thing I swear by is the Tinkyada Brown Rice Organic pasta. I love it. I literally prefer it over regular pasta. It holds up well (even in soups and pasta salads), doesn't get mushy (assuming you cook it according to the package instructions), and keeps me fuller longer. You have to buy the organic ones because the ones that aren't organic get mushy. Just a helpful tip.
  • lkteachermom
    lkteachermom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gluten free here! If you like your crockpot, check out the blog crockpot365.blogspot.com . The author is GF so all her recipes have an easy GF option. I am the only person in my house who's gluten free, but almost everything I make for the whole family is GF, and it works for everyone.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm not celiac, but I do have an Auto-Immune disease and an allergy to wheat. My doctor suggested I start a GF diet to see if it helps with any of my symptoms. My bloating, cramps, rash, headaches and constipation all went away, so I continue to live GF. My husband and kids can eat anything and everything, so it can be very difficult. Some days I have to make separate meals, but I find it to be worth it. My husband swears he can tell the difference and wont eat it, but I trick him a lot and he doesn't notice, most of the time. I've tried several products and I am finally finding ones I like. For pasta, I like Barilla, Schar makes really good rolls and Walmart even has GF options now. If I need recipes, I just look online, there are a lot of good recipes there. I know it's frustrating and confusing, but keep trying new products and recipes and you'll do great.
  • scubatahiti
    scubatahiti Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    cleverpun wrote: »
    First started a gf diet in 2001 and, believe me, it's much easier these days. Udi's makes a decent sliced bread, as mentioned. My favorite gf pasta is still Tinkayada brown rice spirals. If you cook per the package directions you can't tell the difference.

Regarding baking: you'll need a different blend of gf flours depending on your desired outcome. After over a decade of experimentation with gf flour here are my best tips:

Pizza crust should be about one half tapioca flour and one half a combo of sorghum, rice, gf oat flours. Work the dough as little as you can get away with or it gets very tough (ditto with yeast breads).

Never use tapioca flour in anything you don't want to be chewy. (ie- pie crust).

Quick breads like pancakes, muffins and banana bread can be made entirely with a combo of almond and coconut flours as long as you use the right amount if eggs, fruit and leavening.

Yeast breads will generally require an extra protein or binder (xanthan gum, guar gum, and/or extra egg white).

Rice flour tends to be very chalky so use it somewhat sparingly and always as part of a flour blend. It can have a noticeable metallic taste on its own.

Garbanzo flour has a very strong taste. (I ruined a pot of chicken and dumplings experimenting with it once.) My only useful recommendation for it is to produce a great crispy fried coating on foods you're planning to dip in loud sauces.

Almond flour and coconut flour are generally great for baking sweet things like cakes.

It's good to mix several flours in many cases since most flours have a particular flavor when used solo that may not be desirable.

Here's my favorite all-purpose gf flour blend (cookies and such):

1 part coconut flour
    2 parts almond flour
    1.5 parts sorghum flour
    1-1.5 parts gf oat flour

Great information :) Thanks

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Gx____ wrote: »
    nickelp22 wrote: »
    Do you guys ever get a reaction and assume it was from something you had but can't trace it back? I ate at the work caf today and I got sick after I am wondering if they weren't really gluten free.

I do occasionally. I get a similar gluten-y reaction with lots of lactose. I've found since being GF that my body can't currently tolerate large doses of lactose. Anything more than one latte or ice-cream can make be feel a bit ill.

Apparently it's a fairly common issue while your small intestine is repairing itself.

Same here. Some people that have Ciliacs disease are also lactose intolerant. For me taking those Lactaid chewable tabs before drinking my protein shake helps.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was in Rite Aid yesterday waiting for my prescription to be filled and found a whole section of Gluten free foods. I decided to try the Pasta D'oro Elbow macaroni made by Sam Mills. It is Soy and GMO free. It was the best tasting Gluten free pasta that I've had in a long time. I ended up going back and getting the Sam Mills brand spaghetti and rigatoni to try as well. I love pasta but usually any of the ones that I've tried are either too mushy or come out too hard.
  • nickelp22
    Options
    KristenE83 wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I do not have celiac nor do I eat gluten free... BUT a close family member is so I have tried to incorporate a lot of gluten free items into our diets and tried to find gluten free alternatives for my home. One thing I swear by is the Tinkyada Brown Rice Organic pasta. I love it. I literally prefer it over regular pasta. It holds up well (even in soups and pasta salads), doesn't get mushy (assuming you cook it according to the package instructions), and keeps me fuller longer. You have to buy the organic ones because the ones that aren't organic get mushy. Just a helpful tip.

Oh wow thanks I love pasta and haven't found one I like yet. I will have to look for this!

• nickelp22
    Options
    Gluten free here! If you like your crockpot, check out the blog crockpot365.blogspot.com . The author is GF so all her recipes have an easy GF option. I am the only person in my house who's gluten free, but almost everything I make for the whole family is GF, and it works for everyone.

I love the crock pot since I work full time I will have to check it out thanks!

• nickelp22
    Options
    Hey! I'm not celiac, but I do have an Auto-Immune disease and an allergy to wheat. My doctor suggested I start a GF diet to see if it helps with any of my symptoms. My bloating, cramps, rash, headaches and constipation all went away, so I continue to live GF. My husband and kids can eat anything and everything, so it can be very difficult. Some days I have to make separate meals, but I find it to be worth it. My husband swears he can tell the difference and wont eat it, but I trick him a lot and he doesn't notice, most of the time. I've tried several products and I am finally finding ones I like. For pasta, I like Barilla, Schar makes really good rolls and Walmart even has GF options now. If I need recipes, I just look online, there are a lot of good recipes there. I know it's frustrating and confusing, but keep trying new products and recipes and you'll do great.

I have had pretty good success with making dinners we call can eat with the exception of pasta. Thanks!

• nickelp22
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    All this cold weather is making me crave some gluten free tres leches! It's amazing! Lots of great recipes on pinterest. I've been making brownies and banana bread that no one even realizes is gluten free.
    I need to check out pintrest I miss those kind of treats!

• nickelp22
    Options
    I was unaware about the lactose intolerance! I normally have milk in my cereal and sometimes ice cream or cheese but never a large amount. I wonder if that is why I didn't really have a reaction.
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    azure7 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been gluten free for a little over a year. I'm not celiac but I have another autoimmune disease and my doc recommended that I avoid gluten. I find it's just easier to eat a mostly unprocessed diet...fewer worries and hidden ingredients. Also, a lot of GF replacement foods are expensive and very processed). That being said, I do have a few GF food favorites (brown rice pasta and GF flour mixes). I'd like to recommend a free app that I use to find restaurants while I'm traveling. It's called "Find Me Gluten Free" and it lists restaurants with GF menus in your area. Wishing you the best on your journey and with your health!!!

I also have Hashimoto and another auto immune disease, MCTD. I was told to avoid gluten, dairy, HFCS and refined carbs. It worked wonders for me. I love the find me gluten app! I use it all the time.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    azure7 wrote: »
    . I love the find me gluten app! I use it all the time.

I just downloaded this App. Looks like another good Gluten Free App that I can use when I'm out.
  • theoryofempire
    Options
    Welcome to the celiac club. Diagnosed late 2012/early 2013. Just curious if you lost or gained weight before being diagnosed. Apparently it's a lot more common to lose weight, lol but I'm that lucky few that blew up like a balloon.

My #1 for restaurants: AVOID RICE
    Rice is typically gluten free, but they add things to during processing. it's been my experience that most places don't know much about their rice, and I'm not risking a week of getting sick for a serving of rice.

Almond meal is your new best friend: use it for pancakes. Trust me, they're guilt free and delicious. I get asked for the recipe every time I make them, and they're so easy.

DONT make the mistake of thinking because it says gluten free, that it's healthy. A processed, sugar filled, gluten free cookie is still a cookie.

TRY shiritaki noodles. I swear by them!! The healthiest way to eat your pasta, even if you're not gluten free. Find it in the area with the tofu or a whole foods place.

LEARN to cook. Sadly, this "allergy" sucks because gluten is in everything and with celiac, even the smallest cross contamination causes a reaction. Not to say that eating out is off limits for life, but you're going to find very few places that take celiac as seriously as you do.

ALWAYS ASK how something is prepared. My local Olive Garden was boasting a gluten free pasta, so I called and asked a few questions. They cook the gluten free pasta with all of the regular pasta, in the same water.... ya don't see the issue here Olive Garden?

AVOID vodka. It's supposed to be gluten free, but the only brand I don't have a reaction to is pinnacle. If you do drink, ask what's in the drink. Alcohol mixes with your blood and is filtered through your liver and kindeys. I was sick for 2 months because someone gave me vodka in my margarita. 2 MONTHS!!!!!

BUY the squeezable condiments. Especially if you have kids. I lived in a house where they still bought regular bread, and someone got crumbs in the condiments jar....and it only takes one crumb to ruin a day.

Any questions at all, let me know.
  • nickelp22
    Options
    Thank you so much! My weight went up not a ton (about 10lbs) when I started going GF, before that it was pretty much the same. I had kind of intense times when I would lose like 20 lbs in a couple of months and then slowly gain it back when I was feeling better. At that time I thought it was IBS. I have been having issues with eating out or on the campus where I work. I did go to a diner that was really nice and helpful that went well but I know the family that owns it. Other than that almost every time I have gone out I ended up getting sick that night. I cook pretty often but that condiment tip is very helpful thank you! I have kids and they are not GF nor is my husband. I miss pancakes I will try to get almond flour.

I have to go to a lunch meeting tomorrow (buffet) do you think it would be best just to bring my own food and say something like I have allergies?
  • ichagirl
    ichagirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiac's but I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance about 6 weeks ago. My house has pretty much gone gluten free since I do most of the cooking. My husband eats gluten outside of the house but my 3 year old and almost 2 year old don't. I don't think my 3 year old has any problems with gluten but I am fairly certain my little one does.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There is a really good cookbook you can get on Amazon called Delight Gluten Free. I'm going to subscribe to their magazine too. The cookbook is chockful of helpful information and recipes from appetizers to beverages and everything in between. I use the recipe in there to make my own hamburger rolls. The only ones I can find where I live is Udi's which is not a bad brand, but I can only get them at the health food store and they keep them in the freezer section, so when I defrost them they are hard as a rock and not too appetizing. And at almost $5 for 4 hamburger buns, they are kind of expensive, especially by the time I get to the last one it pretty much has the consistency of a hockey puck. The ones I make myself, I individually wrap and then freeze them in a freezer bag. They are soft when I defrost them.
  • nickelp22
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas I went to red robins last night and they had a lot of gluten free options that were made separately I was pleasantly surprised!