Options
What's the best way to tone my arms up?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

1. "toning" = reducing body fat

2. exercises don't target fat loss. For an explanation, google "spot reduction myth"

3. therefore follow the standard fat loss plan of a calorie deficit plus full-body strength training to keep a high metabolism.
    What strength equipment do you have access to?
  • mrscaudle31
    Options
    I only have hand weights(1,3,5 pounds). Should I get something different?
  • RosaC773
    RosaC773 Posts: 126
    Options
    Start doing dips from a bench/stable box and push-ups at home. Look up different variations of push-ups. Those dumbbells are way too light, it will not get you tight arms.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with pushups and dips being great for arms. Get something heavier and work on dumbbell rows too. You can fill up a gallon jug with water and it will weight 8 lbs. That's a good start but find a way to increase the weight. When I first started I used the rule that if I could do 3 sets of 8 I moved up. If you can't get more dumbbells, use something like books in a bag.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Eventually.. but you can start without equipment. Look up "Nerd Fitness" and do their beginner's program (free) or buy "You Are Your Own Gym". Follow the program as listed. If you find yourself working your fatty areas extra, re-read #2 above. Your legs actually burn more arm fat than your arms, since legs are bigger.. so don't skip the squats & lunges.
    Post a progress report after a month. :+1:
  • mrscaudle31
    Options
    Thanks,yall. This is very helpful.
  • patrickbawo
    patrickbawo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Welcome.

1. "toning" = reducing body fat

2. exercises don't target fat loss. For an explanation, google "spot reduction myth"

3. therefore follow the standard fat loss plan of a calorie deficit plus full-body strength training to keep a high metabolism.
    What strength equipment do you have access to?

^ What he said. Good post.
  • mrscaudle31
    Options
    Thanks,yall. This is very helpful.