Body weight strength training at home, what am I missing?

Options
lawlifehanna
lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing a body weight strength circuit at home a couple of times a week, to get back to the swing of things and, well, to re-introduce my brain and my muscles. So far I've been doing 3 sets of 15 reps of these:
Squats (body weight only, will add dumbbells soon)
Modified push-ups (I have issues with my back and cannot plank, so my physical therapist advised on doing them basically on all fours)
Pelvic lifts
Sit-ups on an exercise ball

I have issues with my lower back and can't do any kinds of lunges or planks. I have a physical therapist who has given me special exercises to work on my core (not included here, except the sit-ups).

Equipment I have at home: an exercise ball, 5kg (approx. 11lb) dumbbells, a step and a foam roller. I'm not willing to purchase any new equipment as I have to move to a smaller apartment in a few months.

I've done this a couple of times now as a circuit (3 rounds, no breaks in the middle). I'm not sore the next day, but my muscles are saying I did something.

Am I missing some important muscle group here? (besides the core, on which I don't really take advice from people other than my physical therapist) I feel like I'm definitely missing something.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are missing pull exercises, which are good for your back. Google one arm dumbbell row. Google "nerd fitness beginner bodyweight workout" for a good sample full body workout. You might not be able to do it all but you could ask your therapist how to tweak it for you.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Almost all arms! Biceps, triceps, rows, overhead press, bench press, fly...all can be done with the dumbells standing or laying on your back. If 5kg is too heavy, use canned food, or a jug of something. Talk to you therapist about dead lifts and good mornings...both can be done without weights. And try yoga. Great balance exercises that work your legs and core. Lots of free stuff on YouTube and the Internet. And everything can be modified for your back.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I googled the dumbbell row and it looks like something I could def. benefit from.

As for the nerd fitness workout, here's what's included:

20 body weight squats - have them already
    10 push ups - have them already
    20 walking lunges - cannot do
    10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug) - will add, thanks for the tip!
    15 second plank - cannot do
    30 Jumping Jacks - which muscles do these train? Am I wrong thinking it's more cardio than strength workout? I get why a beginners circuit would include cardio, but that's not what I'm looking for in my circuit.

I'll have to ask my therapist for lunge alternatives, but I'm not seeing her until the end of the month. Yoga and pilates are "forbidden" as well, given that the issue is precisely in properly balancing and controlling my body. Obviously I could do some yoga poses, but I wouldn't know which ones

Tavenne, do you have any precise tips for arms? I tried tricep dips but my wrists didn't take them too well so I decided to give up before I do any damage (wrist injuries are the no. 1 thing I do not want). Bicep curls, maybe? What's your (or anyone elses) recommendation for triceps and shoulders?

Do you guys think it would be worth it to switch from the modified push-ups to bench press, or should I keep both?

I'm trying to keep this circuit quick as I'm in a really bad time crunch. Last time it took me 12 minutes, I think 20mins is a real maximum with my current schedule.

On that: I figure I currently have time for 2 of these 3: proper food choices, focusing on working out and adequate rest. I think rest and food are more important to my weight loss and sanity overall. I'm trying to carve out time for exercise, but right now it's not looking good.