Anyone else have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Options
I've been afflicted with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome after obtaining an influenza vaccination (it wasn't for the correct strain, so I believe that my immune system was prepared to protect me from a strain that didn't exist & therefore was rendered defenseless against the strain that did)/severe flu (I projectile vomited for 10 days, was hospitalized; began going through puberty at the time & it ceased for 2 years) for approximately 19 years. I haven't been vaccinated for the flu, haven't gotten the flu & haven't vomited (while being sick but once from being upset, when I was 22 & I don't even remember what I was crying about) either since, so I guess that my body has built up an immunity to it so far but I do still catch every cold. About 2/3rd's to 75% of the time I'm bedridden (because of sleepiness)/housebound (because of weakness) but 25% to 1/3rd of the time, I'm able to function relatively normally & I've also always been able to physically care for myself.

Because of being extremely sedentary, I struggle immensely to balance fitness/nutrition; with such a limited ability to exercise. When I am unable to exercise, I can only consume about 800 Calories a day; just to maintain my weight & 600 Calories/in order to lose any weight. I'm in the process though, of building my own home gym; so that I don't waste energy traveling to/from one. Especially since I might only be able to, exercise approximately 5 - 15 minutes; at a time & even most of what I consume of food, tends to be processed; just because I haven't even been able to cook often enough.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have chronic fatigue syndrome. What makes you think you maintain on 800 calories? Even when I lie in bed all day I can eat 1400 to maintain. Your diary is mostly blank but if you're certain that you're eating that little and maintaining then I'd suggest you see your doctor and request a referral to a dietician (not a nutritionist). I suspect though that you can maintain on more. Try at least meeting the 1200 calorie goal for a month and see where you are.

What I'd recommend for meals is that you look into meal prep. Basically on one your good days you would make large batches of food, divide them into tupperware, and freeze them. That way on the bad days there are balanced meals that you can just pop in the microwave.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for hypothyroidism? I have chronic fatigue because of my hashimoto's... autoimmune disease that causes hypothyroidism.
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but have other issues that make fatigue and pain an issue for me. Since I also have TMJD, I pretty much do the following each day: Breakfast: Rolled oatmeal prepared in the microwave. Lunch: Smoothie with fruits and greens, and some fat and protein powder to add calories to it. Dinner: Soup. I'll either make this in bulk, or buy cases of Amy's variety of low sodium soups that I like and eat those if nothing is prepared. I also have cans of Sardines that I will eat so I can get protein that doesn't need to be prepared. So, basically, I manage to eat fairly healthy and hardly ever cook. Just find staples, especially ones that are easy to prepare and can be altered for variety (such as flavoring the oatmeal differently, etc.) I hope that helped!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I do too as part of a lovely auto immune package of illnesses.....

I am sorry for your struggles but I too would be like to add my concerns about getting a properly certified dietician to help you with your food intake. It may well be that with such a small amount of calories in it could be contributing to increasing your fatigue and adding to your ill health.

Managing fatigue can be so challenging, it is certainly a worthy idea that 'Acrylics' suggests of making time when able to pre-prepare nutritious foods in advance.

For what it is worth, I have been 'managing' this since I was 35, I am now 52.....there have been times where there illness does seem to remit, for want of a better word and building up and maintaining strength and fitness levels to the best of your ability will help protect you and enhance your life in many ways.

Please do look at your calorie intake though, honey, it is a worry that such a low intake over a sustained time could actually impact negatively on your ability to function at even the most basic of levels.

My very best wishes to you, and if I can help you please let me know.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics: I just began today here but have been dieting on and off. I believe it's because I have a very low metabolism, my body doesn't seem to create much waste; as if it just absorbs what I eat. I am not constipated though & I try to cook at least once a week, to prepare for the worst days. I am trying to go through some of my processed food currently though, to get rid of what's left of it; without wasting it. I took a break from dieting over the holidays. Thank you!

NerdieMcChub: I did when I had to go to the hospital for a shoulder/arm injury, I used the opportunity to explain my condition and was tested for that and Lyme Disease. Thank you!

UncreativeMe123: Yes it does help greatly. Thank you!
  • Spreyton22K: I am sorry for your struggles as well, thank you very much; for the much needed support. I have gone through periods of remission, in which for months at a time; I was as I had been before. The longest was 8 months once, then I'd average 2 months a year; for the last 4 years it's been about 2 weeks approximately every 6 months.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Aw honey, you are welcome for the support. You have to 'live' with this to truly get a glimpse of what others in a similar situation may be experiencing.

I still do want to caution you in the low calories and wondering if you have evidence of 'low metabolism' or it is just an inner belief. I too held the belief that my metabolism was shot....and I in that ended up making things worse by simply not eating enough and not eating the foods which I have since found 'help' rather than inflame the condition.

Surviving on such a small amount of food is never a good idea.....please seek medical advice on this.....don't let inner 'feelings' guide you as they cannot always be right or trusted.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Aw honey, you are welcome for the support. You have to 'live' with this to truly get a glimpse of what others in a similar situation may be experiencing.

I still do want to caution you in the low calories and wondering if you have evidence of 'low metabolism' or it is just an inner belief. I too held the belief that my metabolism was shot....and I in that ended up making things worse by simply not eating enough and not eating the foods which I have since found 'help' rather than inflame the condition.

Surviving on such a small amount of food is never a good idea.....please seek medical advice on this.....don't let inner 'feelings' guide you as they cannot always be right or trusted.

Yes I agree with all of this too. Personally I feel a lot better when I eat more calories.
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Spreyton22K & ILiftHeavyAcrylics: That is why I didn't customize my "Goals", pertaining to Calories, etc.; I kept it at being 1200 Calories and I always eat when I am hungry. I don't plan on weighing or measuring myself again, unless I consume something that is immeasurable; which I'm hoping that I don't do. If so then I'll just restart my dieting/exercising again the next day, I believe that that'll make it easy for me; to continue with it. The hardest part was getting doctors to even acknowledge, that CFS exists; since it isn't detectable with X-rays, etc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I think your chronic fatigue is due to eating 800 calories a day…..
  • FatFreeFrolicking: Thank you, although even over the holidays; when I tried to maintain a 1200 Calorie limit/I gained weight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking: Thank you, although even over the holidays; when I tried to maintain a 1200 Calorie limit/I gained weight.

Do you weigh your food using a food scale?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking: Thank you, although even over the holidays; when I tried to maintain a 1200 Calorie limit/I gained weight.

Also, how much did you gain over what time period?
  • FatFreeFrolicking: Most of what I consume, has a "Nutrition Facts" label on the package; I tend to stay away from anything that doesn't. Like I hardly eat out/order in, otherwise I go to http://nutritiondata.self.com/; for anything that doesn't have packaging with the facts.
  • girlviernes: I was 147 pounds, 10/29/2014 and 12/26/2014, I was 156 pounds.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking: Most of what I consume, has a "Nutrition Facts" label on the package; I tend to stay away from anything that doesn't. Like I hardly eat out/order in, otherwise I go to http://nutritiondata.self.com/; for anything that doesn't have packaging with the facts.

What she's asking is whether you weigh out the portion. So if the package says a serving is 1/2 cup (63 grams) are you weighing out 63 grams?

If you suddenly eat more than you have been eating you'll gain some temporary weight from food and water retention. It's not fat gain but it tends to fool people into thinking their maintenance is lower than it is. Combine that with the fact that you're not logging and that it's notoriously difficult to count holiday food calories and I don't think you should jump to any conclusions regarding metabolism just yet.

Personally my threshold for feeling like crap is about 1500 calories. If I get less than that for more than a couple of weeks I notice that my fatigue gets much worse.

I think you should try logging for a few weeks and hitting MFP's minimum. Focus on getting adequate nutrition (get some protein and vegetables, not just bread) and see if you feel better.
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ILifeHeavyAcrylics: Thank you for clarifying, yes I do use measuring cups/spoons; when I am dieting. I definitely understand having water retention, especially during my menstrual cycle; which is why I avoid weighing/measuring myself then.

While I just began logging on here yesterday, I've been dieting, exercising, weighing, measuring, logging and consuming a variety of foods/various amounts, off and on; since I was 25 years old. I am just eating the bread currently, to get rid of it; before it expires since I wasn't able to obtain all that I make sandwiches with.

The significant change in my ability to even maintain my weight, occurred right after I obtained a severe flu; not only did it weaken me enough to stop me from going through puberty for 2 years but it also weakened my body's ability to digest the foods that I consume. My body doesn't turn much of what I consume, into fecal waste no matter how much food/many Calories; I consume. Yet I am not constipated, therefore I believe that my body; just absorbs even what should have become waste. It seems to be that my body's inability, to completely digest/expel waste; means that it stays within my body instead & therefore becomes additional weight. It seems that it isn't as easy to digest food, as it is to absorb it; I guess that it takes less energy to just absorb rather than digest. The best analogy that I'm able to think of, is that my body is like a 3 sheet maximum at a time paper shredder yet if I attempt to shred 6 sheets of paper at a time, it won't even shred 3 of the sheets of paper because it's overloaded.

By the way I visited your profile, you've certainly accomplished a lot; congratulations!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    ILifeHeavyAcrylics: Thank you for clarifying, yes I do use measuring cups/spoons; when I am dieting. I definitely understand having water retention, especially during my menstrual cycle; which is why I avoid weighing/measuring myself then.

While I just began logging on here yesterday, I've been dieting, exercising, weighing, measuring, logging and consuming a variety of foods/various amounts, off and on; since I was 25 years old. I am just eating the bread currently, to get rid of it; before it expires since I wasn't able to obtain all that I make sandwiches with.

The significant change in my ability to even maintain my weight, occurred right after I obtained a severe flu; not only did it weaken me enough to stop me from going through puberty for 2 years but it also weakened my body's ability to digest the foods that I consume. My body doesn't turn much of what I consume, into fecal waste no matter how much food/many Calories; I consume. Yet I am not constipated, therefore I believe that my body; just absorbs even what should have become waste. It seems to be that my body's inability, to completely digest/expel waste; means that it stays within my body instead & therefore becomes additional weight. It seems that it isn't as easy to digest food, as it is to absorb it; I guess that it takes less energy to just absorb rather than digest. The best analogy that I'm able to think of, is that my body is like a 3 sheet maximum at a time paper shredder yet if I attempt to shred 6 sheets of paper at a time, it won't even shred 3 of the sheets of paper because it's overloaded.

By the way I visited your profile, you've certainly accomplished a lot; congratulations!

I would definitely ask for a referral to a dietician, and probably a gastroenterologist. Maybe they can help you with the digestive issues. At any rate good luck.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics: Thank you very much/will do!