Anyone out there with Fibromyalgia/Auto-immune issues?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have! The only diet which seems to work for me is the keto diet. The others made me gain even more. For the pains I do yoga and it helped me a lot, and I must say going Paleo and eat only healthy fresh foods made a huge difference for me, no more processed, no more gluten.
  • lcaroline
    lcaroline Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm pretty new to this and have fibromyalgia and CFS....at least that's what they tell me! I'm so frustrated as I used to be able to play netball, swim etc...now some days its an effort to go to the letterbox!! I'm also job hunting which sucks but I really want to get on top of my weight and need all the help I can get. It would also be good to talk to others who are going through the same thing :-). X
  • hanwyz
    hanwyz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, joint hyper mobility and a few other pesky disorders... I've just started exercising again and I must admit it has done wonders! Add me if you want to help support each other :) people who don't have these kind of issues can't understand how a 5 minute walk etc is such an accomplishment :)
  • EileenShows
    EileenShows Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New to Fibromyalgia. I've been tested for EVERYTHING this summer. I was a runner, weight lifter, normal on-the-go mom. Now I can't get out of bed. My body feels like Wolverine but without the cool steak knives. Last summer I was 125 this summer 140. I also have Hypothyroid. I take 2 Rx meds and all the known vitamin combo ideas. My crash started in April and they have no answers for me after all that testing. I need exercise I crave it it s is my therapist. This isn't about the weight (though that would be nice to lose) its about me regaining myself. So any workout routines or schedules that don't take hours and days to recover from?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for test results, and don't know why my joints hurt all the time. I try to mix up my exercise to avoid overuse problems. I swim, bike, walk, dance, use an elliptical trainer, and a recumbent bike, for cardio. I take an easy day any time it feels like I need one. Today most of what I did was read a book on the recumbent bike for an hour, and felt so much better afterward that I went for a walk too.

I've always been very active, and I don't know what will happen if I have RA or some other autoimmune issue, but I know that I'll keep doing the things I can do.
  • BridgetMoans
    Options
    i have fibro - and other related medical issues.

I do find it very difficult to exercise, as others have stated the fatigue and the pain before, during and after. Recently I have looked at this and decided it is not going to beat me; I have turned from a very outgoing busy-busy person to someone who just sits on the sofa for the past two years ( chronic pain, fatigue and depression ). As said earlier do have other problems that do affect my motivation on a day to day level.

Since finding MFP and logging every day ( bar a week i went away for a rest ) I have been trying very hard to stick with the plan. So far I have succeeded - naturally I have bad days like anyone else, i get on with it, dust myself down ( sometimes lots of tears, but that got no one no where ) and carry on - regardless.

So MFP has inspired me - largely all the stories I find on here that are so amazing and pale my problems into insignificance I can tell you! This keeps me going. Also my doggies their little eyes and waggy tails and excitement when I brush past the leads - you know, I just cant refuse them, even if I am in worse pain, I get outside with them, it can take me 20 mins, half an hour, an hour to get round the block but we do it and at the end of it Ive achieved moving and losing, as well as putting a sparkle in my doggies eyes and keeping them fit - even though lots of pain and stiffness often follows.

This place has gone someway to give me some of my sanity back - and im not joking. I regularly say thank you to MFP and everyone I come across that inspires and motivates me. THANK YOU.
  • cathycap0215
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 4 years ago. I also have degenrative disc disease, sciatica, muscle spasms, chronic headaches, fatigue, etc... My doctor said that exercise is nearly impossible due to all my issues. She said that losing weight may (key word being may-no idea if it actually will) help with some of my pain issues but that losing weight is going to be really hard regardless of what I eat. If I'm not able to burn off the calories that I consume then I'm going to continue to have weight issues. It's a frustrating situation that feels like it's almost a no win one. Some days I can't even stand up in the kitchen to make myself something to eat so I grab a granola bar or some crackers. Not exactly the best way to eat. And sugar substitutes like sucralose cause Fibro flares so my choices of "diet" food are limited. I take a medication for my chronic nausea that gives me the munchies. If I don't take it, I can't keep anything down. Before I was given that med 2.5 years ago I was hospitalized for dehydration. I lost weight then but it was the wrong way to do it. Since I started the medicine I have gained 40 pounds. Another lovely symptom of Fibro is a craving for chocolate and carbs. Lucky us right :/
    Anyway, I started back using this program 2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 7 pounds and was really happy. I know most of that was due to giving up soda. This week I gained a pound even though I haven't strayed from the program. I don't know what my other options are for me. My doctor said medical intervention (sleeve, bypass, etc...) wouldn't be a good option for me because again, I can't burn the calories I do consume regardless of how many calories I consume a day therefore I continue to struggle.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 4 years ago. I also have degenrative disc disease, sciatica, muscle spasms, chronic headaches, fatigue, etc... My doctor said that exercise is nearly impossible due to all my issues.

Could you do chair exercise? There are modifications of aerobics, strength training, and yoga intended for people with limited mobility. Congratulations on your weight loss under difficult conditions!

P.S. You don't need to use artificial sweeteners to cut calories. If you crave carbs, eating more protein might help you feel more satisfied with less food. Water exercise is another option that is easy on the joints. You don't even have to swim, just walk in chest deep water. Test it out in shallower water first, to make sure that the temperature doesn't bother your fibro. You are so young. I hope that you find some relief from these painful conditions.
  • Anewmein2014
    Anewmein2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have fibro also as well as herniated discs L4, L5, S1. I was diagnosed with fibro about 5 1/2 years ago. This has been one of the worst years for me so far with my flare ups and all! I have been up and down with my weight all year long. I cannot find enough energy to get my workouts in. I am trying to get some in during my lunch break by walking some, but even during work I am exhausted! Its even harder when I have school work and three kiddos to take care of at night. My hubby works nights, but sometimes I don't think they understand that mommy is tired, all I want to do is sleep! I just want to be able to enjoy my life and my family!!

I am on cymbalta and neurotin which does seem to help me but really only for the pain!
  • kikimama125
    Options
    I have either psiosis arthritus or RA, waiting for blood work to come back and doing another round next week. I also have a bone tumor in my spine and 2 buldging discs, all which cause a lot of nerve pain in my legs. I am limited on treatments because I am breastfeeding my daughter. And to be honest, I am glad! It is making me (and my docs) find other ways to cope with the pain. Right now I am doing ESI's for my back and a strong anti-inflammatory daily. But working out is a HUGE help! After I get my back injections I am out for a a few days because it flares my pain up a lot. It's worth it in the end. But there is a very large diffrence in my pain after I can get back to the gym. After 3 or so days off, it's about as effective as narcotics. I know my limits, but I do push them once a week for good measure! And it has gotten me farther then I ever thought I would be. There are only a few lifts I don't do, or do only occationally, and I do full body workouts each time as oppsoed to doing difrent areas on diffrent days. I found this keep me feeling the best because I have used all my major muscle groups regularly. I also am a horse trainer and work horses 5-6 days a week. With barn chores everyday, of course! I refuse to take my medical problems sitting down and let them over come my life. I get asked why I don't all the time! I'm just to stubborn to let it define my life. We are a very active family and I won't be left out! During pregnancy I had to be on bedrest and have definatly learned that movement is the best way to treat my issues! It is something I have to do. So when we budget, my gym membership is considered a medical expense. It has to happen. I say try building up slowly. Commit to being active in some form that is challenging to you 4 days a week for a month. Just do it, you have to give it a fair trial. Then re-evaluate how you feel!
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    Posting on an old thread, but wanted to offer my input. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago. I have been symptom free for almost a year. Early 2013, I decided to fight back WITHOUT medication. The first thing I did was take a look at my nutrition. I cleaned up my eating habits, eliminated trigger foods (including coffee, dairy, gluten), and started exercising daily. As soon as I cleaned up my nutrition (I'm vegan now), my symptoms started to go away. With regular exercise, I was able to get rid of fibromyalgia symptoms completely. I started out in severe pain and could barely make it up a flight of stairs. By summer 2013, I was able to hike to the summit of 2 13,000 foot mountains (one of the hikes was 8 hours 19 minutes). So it was clear that things had changed considerably.

It's not easy, but with hard work and a full commitment to clean eating & exercise, it can be done. I'm living proof.

Good luck!

Wendy
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus and degenerative disc disease. My lower spine has collapsed and I have 3 bulging discs & 4 pinched nerves in my neck.

I only have some minor aches and stiffness in my neck, but having more problems with my lower back and hip. Exercise helps tremendously as long as I don't over-do it. I'm still figuring out what I can and can't do.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I've got fibromyalgia, eosinophilic esophagitis, gerd and gastritis, degenerative disc and joint disease, knee caps that slide off track, a fusion and multiple herniated discs and spinal stenosis, IBS, Thyroid goiters and allergies to milk and gluten as well as some spices and peppers. It makes it very difficult to get out of bed some days, but the way my rheumatologist explained it is to do a little bit every day. He said if I tend to do my max on the days I feel okay then it will make me even more tired later in the week. It makes sense. Also, for back and knee issues they don't recommend running or jumping, so I do a lot of incline walking, resistance training, yoga, and working with a yoga ball and bands. You just do what you can with what you were given you know. I also found out that many people are diagnosed with fibromyalgia when they actually have other auto immune disorders. It is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed conditions out there and it is very similar to chronic fatigue syndrome. Fibromyalgia actuary has markers such as fibroids in the uterus, sometimes a geographic tongue, pain in pressure points, allergies to food and the environment, and often stomach issues like IBS. I have had friends diagnosed with it when they actually have lupus or other serious conditions, so it is always good to get a second opinion from a rheumatologist as well as blood tests. I have met many people in the pain clinic that are way worse off then myself and yet they are so positive and work so hard every day to achieve what others take for granted. It just inspires me to see why you can accomplish when you put your mind to it and stay positive about what you still have as opposed to why you dont. Good luck with all of your journeys And I am proud that so many can overcome these obstacles with illnesses that others may not even be familiar with.

You should all be very proud of yourselves and remember that you are doing something great :)
  • chubbybunnee
    Options
  • chubbybunnee
    Options
    I have fibro also as well as herniated discs L4, L5, S1. I was diagnosed with fibro about 5 1/2 years ago. This has been one of the worst years for me so far with my flare ups and all! I have been up and down with my weight all year long. I cannot find enough energy to get my workouts in. I am trying to get some in during my lunch break by walking some, but even during work I am exhausted! Its even harder when I have school work and three kiddos to take care of at night. My hubby works nights, but sometimes I don't think they understand that mommy is tired, all I want to do is sleep! I just want to be able to enjoy my life and my family!!

I am on cymbalta and neurotin which does seem to help me but really only for the pain!
    Have you had yourself tested for food allergies? A lot of people with fibro also have food intolerances which can trigger flare ups and make you tired. I used to drink milk or eat cheese almost every day and then found out I was allergic to it. Once I kicked it out of my diet, I started to have more energy and felt better. You would be surprised how much changing your diet can help with the fatigue.

My rheumatologist told me something that was ironically funny to me. I asked him if we had any support groups for fibromyalgia in my town and he replied "well there was a group, but after a few weeks, people stopped showing up because heir flare ups were so bad that no one could make it."

Of course food changes wont help everyone, but it can improve some symptoms :) I started getting allergy shots as well for environmental allergies and I have been off the gabapentin and cymbala and am almost medication free now except for an inhaler for asthma and a steroid inhaler to swallow for my esophagus issues which are related to my fold allergies. You should really consider a food allergy test if you haven't had one already.
  • FitFoodieFla
    FitFoodieFla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wendy! I'm on a similar journey and I'm so grateful to see your post here. THANK YOU.