Motivating yourself for the gym in the winter?

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I think you just kind of do it. I don't want to fall out of the habit of working out. That being said, I have tweaked my routine. I replaced running with spinning. I refuse to run in this weather. I know some people can, but I'm not one of those people.

I agree with the poster who said get a good coat and sweat shirt/hoodie. I absolutely love my UA hoodie. It's one of the best investments I've ever made.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't understand this honestly- get dressed- put on your sweats- beanie and sweatshirt- get in your car- and go workout.

I understand not wanting to workout outside in crappy temps but we are talking about inside workouts.... it's inside. go workout. stop being a ninny.

^^^THIS!^^^

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this honestly- get dressed- put on your sweats- beanie and sweatshirt- get in your car- and go workout.

I understand not wanting to workout outside in crappy temps but we are talking about inside workouts.... it's inside. go workout. stop being a ninny.

However, the last thing I can think of wanting to do is going outside, bundled up, with sweaty hair and skin after a workout, and facing the 5 minute walk to my car from the gym in sub zero temps.

I don't care about the workout part. I care about this part in my OP.

I've already taken some of the advice in this thread, as seen several posts up.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I think you just kind of do it. I don't want to fall out of the habit of working out. That being said, I have tweaked my routine. I replaced running with spinning. I refuse to run in this weather. I know some people can, but I'm not one of those people.

I agree with the poster who said get a good coat and sweat shirt/hoodie. I absolutely love my UA hoodie. It's one of the best investments I've ever made.

I do have an awesome UA jacket I got from my work. It's one of my favorite things to wear during the spring/fall. It probably would be best to put that on under my sweater, and have both those things under my coat!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Last year I couldn't be motivated. This year I reminded myself that it's a mile and a half way, so I'll only be out in the elements at most five minutes (plus I have a remote starter for my car)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's cold out.
    The gym is warm.

It's winter.
    The gym is open.

Only two motivations anyone should ever need.

As for a minute or so walk in the "cold", uh... then take a shower at the gym, dry yourself off, and learn to manage a quick walk in a little cold.
  • dbmata
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I lived a long while in Boston (ok, slummerville), it was never cold. Not once.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

However, the last thing I can think of wanting to do is going outside, bundled up, with sweaty hair and skin after a workout, and facing the 5 minute walk to my car from the gym in sub zero temps.

I know- I just can't understand it- you're done working out- cool off so you aren't so sweaty and go home.

I'm not trying to be an *kitten* about it- I just don't understand the concept.
  • dbmata
    Options

I know- I just can't understand it- you're done working out- cool off so you aren't so sweaty and go home.

Or a hat and a jacket.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30, go outside and start my car, then I get dressed and get stuff together for the gym. By the time I get on the road (maybe 4:50 ish) my car is blowing hot air, so I really only have to deal with the cold for maybe 14 seconds total.

Plus I find gainz to be enough motivation for me to keep going back.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I totally agree with JoRocka.

As for the bolded part - that's easy. Don't walk. Run it. I ran 3.1 miles outside last night (after doing a 60 minute ride on the trainer inside)....it was 0*F with a windchill of -16* when I ran. I had icicles on my eyelashes by the end of the 34 minutes, but otherwise, I was comfortable, because I was properly dressed for the temps. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Or a hat and a jacket.

my sock monkey beanie is the best thing ever.
    for realz.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Oh...you have no idea how it is right now. This "polar vortex", or whatever the heck they've decided to nickname winter weather as now is a beast.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »

As for the bolded part - that's easy. Don't walk. Run it. I ran 3.1 miles outside last night (after doing a 60 minute ride on the trainer inside)....it was 0*F with a windchill of -16* when I ran. I had icicles on my eyelashes by the end of the 34 minutes, but otherwise, I was comfortable, because I was properly dressed for the temps. :)

You win all of the awards! I can't even consider that. Once it started flurrying outside I politely packed away my running shoes and said "See you in March!"
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It was 25 below zero this morning when I went to the gym. Did it suck? You betcha but I'm really glad that I went in and it's done.
  • dbmata
    Options

Oh...you have no idea how it is right now. This "polar vortex", or whatever the heck they've decided to nickname winter weather as now is a beast.

I remember having a half inch thick layer of ice on my car, which was hilarious. I was standing on my street in shorts and a t-shirt chipping my way into my jeep.

I'll give you that it's cold if there is floating ice in the harbor. ;)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's cold out.
    I'm talking negative wind chills right now, going into tomorrow.
    I know I should go to the gym.

How do you motivate yourself to go to the gym, even when it is super cold?
    The thought of working out and then going outside into 0-20 degree temps the next few months makes me cringe.

mine is 2 miles.

Im in NYC, not too far from Boston. We have the subzero wind chills too. And brooklyn holds obnoxious amounts of wind records. I know one person with a car.

I walk that 2 miles to the gym in the freezing morning cause I dont have time at night and I want to get my workout in before the day gets away from me or before other people start putting demands on me and because I promised myself that I was going to do this.

the old me would never go out in the snow to go to the gym.

that's why the new me HAS TO.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    frozen boogies = NSV
  • gobonas99
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    gobonas99 wrote: »

You win all of the awards! I can't even consider that. Once it started flurrying outside I politely packed away my running shoes and said "See you in March!"

I HAVE to run in the winter. I'm doing the local Ironman 70.3 in June....if I wait until it stops snowing, I wouldn't be running again until late April, and then I'd be screwed, as I need to spend April, May and the first part of June building up my bike/run mileage and working on speed, not regaining my base. :)

But we love snow and cold here - we even have a half marathon in mid-February called the "Lake Effect Half" (I have a prior commitment that weekend, or else I'd be running LOL). :)

• gobonas99
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    frozen boogies = NSV

also, icicles on your eyelashes = NSV :smiley: