I can't lose weight without serious exercise

Options
Lots of people on MFP say they did better losing weight when they weren't working out intensely, just walking.

But for me, if I don't exercise at least 40 minutes and get my heart rate up pretty high, I can't stick to my diet. The exercise helps me reduce my cravings and stress eating, and drinking (alcohol).

Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have a drinking problem, but other than that, I would say I'm in a similar boat. Besides which, research shows that exercise keep you young.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Yup - the elevated heart rate makes a difference for me too. I'll walk if I have to, but usually I have to do it for a stupidly long time to tire myself out.
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have a drinking problem, but other than that, I would say I'm in a similar boat. Besides which, research shows that exercise keep you young.
    Well, I don't have a drinking problem, but exercise helps me avoid it completely!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    For me, exercise improves my mood and ability to feel satisfied after eating. Additionally, it improves my motivation and focus in all facets of my life. I can't imagine being successful long term in this journey without exercise!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If exercise is reducing your stress, that right there is reason enough to keep doing it.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yes I am in the same boat as you. I recently took hiatus from logging and exercising (about a 4 month long break) and happily I was able to maintain my previous loss. Exercise just plain makes me feel better, have more energy, and allows me the chance to have a few or even several adult beverages with out sacrificing calories through out the week. I also feel like I only lose weight when exercise is part of the equation, and it does make me stick to the eating portion a little easier too.