planet fitness?

Options
2»

Replies

• Vegas_Don
    Vegas_Don Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yay! Just get active doesn't matter where you work out. I have a membership at PF, and people of all shapes sizes and ages attend, no different than any other. The colors took a minute to get used to but aside from that the equipment is more than adequate. I highly recommend having a partner to work out with and to provide motivation. Best wishes on your journey towards fitness. You have a plethora of support here to check in with.Cheers.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It's kind of gross to be a gym elitist, to be honest. PF is a great option for people who are just starting out or who don't have a lot of resources, and looking down on the people that go there is so counterproductive. I go to Vasa Fitness now - better weights, a pool, good classes, etc etc - but I started out at Planet Fitness when I was new and shy and scared, and it was a great way to get started. It may not be the gym for you, but it's a great place for other folks.
  • WombatSammy
    Options
    I went to Planet Fitness until I outgrew it. There's one within walking distance of my house, so it was nice to take a little jog there, workout on the machines, and jog back home. It's really, really basic, and I didn't like that it wasn't open 24 hours on weekends, so when I started wanting to get into real lifting, I changed to The Rush (which has since been purchased by Gold's Gym) which is 24 hours and has lots of amenities. Of course, it's also 3 times as much money.
  • switchbladesister
    switchbladesister Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Planet Fitness, and I loved it. Very simple and clean. I hope to sign up again in the new future, but as for now I'm going to Edgewater Athletic Club, which is way pricier :(
  • akwilliams89
    akwilliams89 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just joined and love it! Making fun of how and where people work out is ridiculous! Just support people and go where you see results!!! :D
  • sizzle7451
    sizzle7451 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    TUPDUkA.gif

Yeah, a gym that provides pizza and candy. Give me a break. PF is a fit-shaming joke. Find someplace else.

*edited to correct a typo*

Planet fitness is a true joke. If ur to fit they make it hard 4 u to workout there wit all there rules. Its truly not a judge free zone its the opposite. Not a gym tht ppl whom really lift can go 2.

• needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    sizzle7451 wrote: »
    TUPDUkA.gif

Yeah, a gym that provides pizza and candy. Give me a break. PF is a fit-shaming joke. Find someplace else.

Planet fitness is a true joke. If ur to fit they make it hard 4 u to workout there wit all there rules. Its truly not a judge free zone its the opposite. Not a gym tht ppl whom really lift can go 2.
    Is this real?
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    needernt wrote: »
    TUPDUkA.gif

Is this real?
    Lol, I don't know but I can't stop watching

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    TUPDUkA.gif

That's hilarious!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I *heart* Planet Fitness. I love the 30 minute express workout; it's always super clean too. There are a lot of hot, ripped lifters at my PF. Both men and women. For 20 bucks a month, I get all the amenities (not that I tan, but the massage beds are awesome) and I can take a guest every day (I have teen daughters who like to go sometimes). It's perfect.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    OMG! are we still bashing Planet Fitness? Just go somewhere else.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I say if it gets you on the right road, who cares! just do it!

Great attitude! Because isn't that really what it's all about in the beginning? :)
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    TUPDUkA.gif

That's hilarious!

At least he's working out, better than sitting on his couch and eating it.
  • sizzle7451
    sizzle7451 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    needernt wrote: »
    TUPDUkA.gif

Is this real?
    Yes unfortunately
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that you CAN make progress at Planet Fitness, and if you're on a very tight budget, it might be your best option. However, they feed their members a lot of misinformation (e.g. "bench pressing and squats are for bodybuilders" or "grunting serves no useful purpose when you're lifting, not even light grunting"). They also enforce a lot of rules that can significantly hinder your fat loss or muscle building goals, e.g. "no deadlifting,"

Their machines are also of limited usefulness, since they're designed to make the motions easier. More specifically, they're the kind that force your limbs to move in a very specific arc -- as opposed to cable machines or pull-up bars, for example, that engage the stabilizer muscles and provide a better workout. The machines can still help, but better gyms offer more effective alternatives.

They also try to promote a relaxing atmosphere--hence the huge "relaxation zone". Relaxing has its place, but it serves little purpose in helping one shed pounds or build strength. In fact, putting such emphasis on relaxation will tend to be counterproductive. (Relaxation should not be confused with *recovery*, which is much more important.)

As for the way they demean bodybuilders and other fit people in their advertising and policies--well, that's been covered here quite a bit.

PF members are correct when they say that nobody is forced to eat the pizza, bagels, candy, cupcakes, donuts, etc. Still, offering such temptations isn't a very good idea, especially since much of their clientele is trying to lose fat. At the very least, you'd think they'd urge people to consume such treats moderately, rather than providing all-you-can eat temptations.

So again, the bottom line is that it is possible to make progress there. Just don't believe much of what they say about how certain exercises are only for hardcore bodybuilders, or how one should never grunt, etc. Also know that the free weights -- however limited their selection may be -- will be much more useful than the relatively ineffective machines they provide. Self-education is key.

I recommend going elsewhere if at all possible, but I do realize that the price can be hard to beat.