Hungry all the time

Options
barlovo
barlovo Posts: 151 Member
hi I'm new to MFP . I've been following the calorie guidelines for weight loss for a week. I'm hungry all the time. Any tips for getting through this? Does it get better?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? I know that if I eat highly processed foods rather than lean meats and veggies, I get hungry quicker. Even if I stay within my caloric intake. If you make you diary public, it might help people help you. =)
  • barlovo
    Options
    dianethegeek, and fotogreak01, thank you both so much for sharing these tips. I do eat healthily (lean vegetarian protein, lots of veggies, whole grains, low-fat dairy) - I wish I had junk food to cut out of my diet!

It is a great idea to up the protein and fiber even more, and to play with meal timing and make sure I'm staying hydrated.

Yes the habitual part is very real too. Before joining MFP, I was enrolled in a weight loss program that didn't "count" fruit and vegetables. I got into the habit of munching on fruit (and some veg) all day. I plateaued for the past year and stopped losing weight. A friend recommended MFP as a way to break through the plateau. Now that I am tracking fruit on MFP as part of my food "allowance" it is hard to break the munching habit.

What is 16:8 fasting?

Thanks again - wow this is a great community.
  • annc3333
    annc3333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fruit makes me so hungry. Almost more than candy does. I think it might be because there is no fat to balance it. If you've been eating a lot of fruit, that might be contributing to your current hunger. Give it another week, maybe with less fruit, and see if that helps.
  • hammarst
    Options
    Hi there! I have this problem too... Especially in the evenings. I've long discounted drinking plenty of fluids, but am now drinking lemon water frequently in the evenings and it's helping a little. What's your protein intake like? During the day I have a protein/fruit smoothie to sip on when I'm hungry- which curbs my daytime appetite big time! Adding chia and/or flax seeds gives it some texture and makes it feel more like a meal. I also add a heaping scoop of matcha for a healthy dose of caffeine to curb those cravings. :)
  • Bethel3330
    Options
    Good advice. I tend to binge in the evenings. My brother has lost over 100 pounds and he tells me water is the best thing. I hadn't thought of flavoring it to help me want to drink more.
    The smoothies are great. Time to get my blender back out!
  • Bethel3330
    Bethel3330 Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great post, diannethegeek!
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hunger is just a state of mind. It won't kill you. It doesn't get worse either. Its okay to be a hungry once in a while. Most of us gained weight because as soon as we feel a hunger pang, we make a mad dash for food. That's an evolutionary necessity, but not in our modern age. Start training your body to ignore those first hunger feelings. Redirect your thoughts, get up walk around, drink a glass of water, start a new chore. Look at your MFP meal log and remind yourself, that you already ate, and you'll be eating again soon. Manage your macros (fat, protein, carbs) in relation to your calorie goal and be sure to eat back exercise calories. You'll make it. :-)
  • barlovo
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice and encouragement !
  • alicecundick123
    alicecundick123 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I find oatcakes good if I really am hungry between meals I try not to snack but these are an exception!

Newby here please feel free to add me!