Losing weight... Followed by motivation.

Options
SilverRose89
SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I am 5'8 and 198lbs. I have about 35lbs to lose to get back into the 'healthy' BMI level and back to where I was when I was happy with my weight.

My problem is, while I never lack motivation to start diets and continue them for a few months, my motivation always drops rapidly when I have lost about 15lbs. This seems to be at odds with other people who, when they see the weight come off, are inspired to keep going and instead find it more difficult at the beginning.

Three times I have now lost just over a stone then for one reason or another given up and just put it all back on. This isn't a conscious decision or anything - I think maybe I just feel like I've changed my lifestyle enough to keep losing and so stop logging but of course then fall back into old habits (and my biggest issue of large portions). This time last year I was down 16lbs, going to the gym twice a week, and just generally feeling pretty great about it all but then just gave up. Looking back I have no idea why I did this because nothing happened to undo my motivation. I was losing at about 1lb a week and was happy with that and felt like the choices I was making were manageable long term.

I do suffer with depression which does make it difficult to feel motivated about anything at times, so maybe that doesn't help.

Basically, does anyone else do this? And people who don't, what are you tips to stay motivated? I am determined not to do the same this time, but then I said that last time! :\

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I have lost and gained the same 10-15 pounds so many times; my problem is that I often do it in a way that is not sustainable and then I get burned out and give up and tired of eating in a certain way. This time I am choosing exercise I really enjoy and eating whatever I want, just watching calories and portions and keeping under my calorie goals. So far it has worked and I am still on the "wagon". That's the only thing I'm doing differently this time, except for keeping in touch daily with my MFP friends and trying to check in with some of them personally once or twice week. It does help to have someone there to give you encouragement when you are feeling like quitting. I also sometimes check the "success stories" forums and get motivation from just reading about those who have lost a lot and kept it off. The things that they have in common are that they just didn't give up and kept plugging away; they also ate what they liked in moderation and found an exercise that they enjoyed.

If you suffer from depression I know that exercise and sunshine can be a natural remedy. If you can't get outside, consider one of those therapy lights (some people suffer from seasonal affective disorder). Or you may want to consider seeing a doctor for anti-depressants to help you with your moods. Those can be a big help as well. Good luck to you and remember- don't give up. :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question!
    After losing a bunch-DON'T stop logging!
    Make sure you eat a lot!
    Lose slowly so as to be able to eat enough.
    I'm a bulk eater too so I fill most of plate with my favorite veggies and add adequate amounts of protein and a bit of potato, rice, quinoa, pasta or bread and I'm eating so much!
    The fiber keeps me full and happy!
    Keep treats in your repertoire so you don't feel deprived and if you slip up at times-don't punish yourself by limiting calories-just forgive yourself and continue.
    If I were you, I would keep logging for awhile after you hit maintenance and when and if you stop logging, weigh yourself at least once a week to catch a gain before it becomes too much.
    You have this!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think that's pretty normal for a lot of people; it definitely is for me. The more unhappy I am with my appearance, strength, conditioning, etc... the more apt I am to try harder, to stick with the plan, and push through difficulties. As I become more satisfied (or less unhappy) with myself, the more likely I am to take my foot off the gas, as they say.

• SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

I think I am just worrying today, as I've been back on MFP a week now and am determined to do it properly this time. I am just so gutted that I have to lose the same stone all over again as I could be onto the next one! But I guess it's better than it being two, or three stone.

I need to make a real effort to keep logging. I don't know why I stop as I don't find it a problem to do at all. Just one of those things I guess.
    If you suffer from depression I know that exercise and sunshine can be a natural remedy. If you can't get outside, consider one of those therapy lights (some people suffer from seasonal affective disorder). Or you may want to consider seeing a doctor for anti-depressants to help you with your moods. Those can be a big help as well. Good luck to you and remember- don't give up. :)

My depression is chronic, and I have been on antidepressants for a few years now. I think it is one of the reasons I have put on weight, they definitely increased my appetite and I've put on the 4 stone gain since being on these ones. But they do help so wouldn't want to change them. My doctor has actually referred me to a gym program for 10 weeks which I plan on doing then getting membership again after that, I think I need to focus on using the gym to help my mood as well as for weight loss.

I will look into one of those lights though! I've been considering one for a while...

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have to want this badly enough to keep it when you get there. KEEP LOGGING! You've got this!