What to do when you're sore but today is a scheduled workout day

Options
My bf and I just started a circuit training system, 10 min cardio and then intervals of 5 minutes of weights with 1 minute of rest while we change exercise (in the 5 minutes you can take as many 30 seconds to rest as needed and keep going) and then 10 minutes of cardio to finish

My problem is he thought we would do it every day for 5 days and after 2 days my tricep and bicep on one arm are painfully sore. Today is way better than yesterday but today we're supposed to workout. Do I just do less weight on my right arm for bicep curls and tricep extensions?

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    as far as I have read you shouldn't be doing strength training everyday you need time for your muscles to repair, 5 days straight don't sound good to me your heading towards injury territory there.
  • Roxy_Arcane
    Roxy_Arcane Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    True^^^
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachel, yeh it's not the best idea to do back to back days of weight training.
    If you do want to work out on consecutive days, then why not try weight training one day, cardio the next ect, with at least one rest day somewhere in the week?
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    All research points to not doing it everyday but he got his information from somewhere (I don't know who or where) but now we are not doing it every day but after a day off I am sore and we are working out tonight after work
  • Roxy_Arcane
    Roxy_Arcane Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    How sore are you on a level 1-10?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. It is a difficult skill for many to learn, most learning the hard way.
  • LauraLeighMartinez
    Options
    Glutamine worked for me:-)
  • Zuidz
    Zuidz Posts: 15
    Options
    If you're not against taking supplements, kre-alkalyne is a great supplement for soreness and muscle repair.

If you're not concerned with water weight, creatine monohydrate works even better for soreness (in my opinion), but will cause increased water retention.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to strength train the same muscles every day. That rest period is when they rebuild and get stronger.

You're also going to burn out quicker. If I'm to sore, I'll just walk. Better to take a rest day and feel better to get back at it the next day than to get discouraged and quit altogether.
  • Zuidz
    Zuidz Posts: 15
    Options
    With concern to the soreness - if you're sore, rest. Your muscle fibers are still repairing and you have a higher risk of injury.

However, I don't see a problem with light weight, high repetition.
  • adamwsmith1981
    Options
    I'm doing Body Beast where you lift 6 days a week but each workout is targeted at one part of the body. Day 1 Shoulders, Day 2 Back & Biceps, Day 3 Chest & Triceps etc. I am sore but at least every day I am working a different part of the body. I know doing circuit training is great but I know someone said earlier that you have to give it break every other day. If you want to lift everyday look into something like Body Beast or another program like it. It will save you from burning out or being too sore.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    Listen to your body. It is a difficult skill for many to learn, most learning the hard way.

Your body lies. Go to the damn gym.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Soreness just sitting around, 2
    Soreness putting my jacket on, 5

I am using glutamine but I wasn't using it before we started working out. Let me tell you, my butt and legs sure feel better today lol

I am concerned with water weight as I have a TON of fat I need to burn and even knowing it's water weight would bother me

I will be doing either my elliptical (winter "training" for summer jogging) or turbo fire on off weight days
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    All research points to not doing it everyday but he got his information from somewhere (I don't know who or where) but now we are not doing it every day but after a day off I am sore and we are working out tonight after work

Adding resistance to cardio makes it a harder cardio workout, but not a workout designed for strength. So the short answer is, don't worry about letting your muscles rest for some pre-designated time period (48 hours). There are no real negatives to doing that workout everyday (other than injury if you're not careful).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My bf and I just started a circuit training system, 10 min cardio and then intervals of 5 minutes of weights with 1 minute of rest while we change exercise (in the 5 minutes you can take as many 30 seconds to rest as needed and keep going) and then 10 minutes of cardio to finish

I'd ask how much training you were doing before you started this?

In principle whether you do it every day or not can depend on your existing conditioning, what weight you're lifting etc. While it probably has limited value there is an increased injury risk.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Soreness just sitting around, 2
    Soreness putting my jacket on, 5

I am using glutamine but I wasn't using it before we started working out. Let me tell you, my butt and legs sure feel better today lol

I am concerned with water weight as I have a TON of fat I need to burn and even knowing it's water weight would bother me

I will be doing either my elliptical (winter "training" for summer jogging) or turbo fire on off weight days

go to the gym/er do your workout- a 5 isn't that bad.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i would recommend just relaxing for the day, give your mody time to recover.. i do weight training every other day... 3 days a week (mon, wed, fri).
    Dont push yourself too much as it could actually do muscle damage when straining.~
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much sore all the time. Haha. If I never went to the gym or worked out when I was sore I would never be in the gym. This is especially true in the beginning. However as others have stated, your muscles do need time to rebuild and heal after a workout. It really depends on a lot of things, how much you lift, how old you are, how out of shape you are, etc.

I typically need 48 hours of rest between lifting heavy stuff before I lift heavy stuff again within the same body group or part. In that 48 hours I will usually do some cardio, or you could lift heavy stuff with a different body group or part.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Take an advil. If that takes care of it, go to the gym. If it doesn't rest.

(That's always my benchmark. If an OTC painkiller can take care of it, I'm not hurting enough to skip. If it doesn't, I need rest)

The other option is to develop a light or "recovery" workout. I do find that when I have DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) doing NOTHING prolongs it more than some light movement.
  • lpeterson
    Options
    You can lift everyday just not the same muscle groups. Your muscles need 5-7 days to fully heal but doesn't mean you can't workout different muscles while the others heal.