looking for activity tracker

Options
hi everyone,

i have a bodymedia fit armband, but it is rather old, and doesn't function properly anymore. as bodymedia was acquired by jawbone, and has had their products discontinued, i cannot buy another armband similar to the one that i have. i'm now on the prowl for a new activity tracker, but i'm seeing a lot of pedometers out there.

does anyone know if an activity tracker that is:

1) approved by the FDA for whatever claims they advertise
2) has at least 3 sensors and can track sleep
3) is not just a pedometer (it only tracks steps, "guesses" how many calories you burn, and is clipped to your clothing - no sensors involved)
4) has an app for android
5) can be synced with MFP

my bodymedia fit armband had all of the above, so i'm hoping there is another product out there that can meet the outlined criteria.

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks.

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As far as I know, FDA doesn't need to approve a tracker because it is not a food, drug, or medical device. The bodymedia CORE armband was a strange exception.

What type of sensors are you wanting? skin temp, heart rate, etc? Up3 fits that bill but is only available for preorder. You could also look at the Basis Peak, Microsoft band, or Healbe Gobe.

FWIW my Fitbit One is pretty dang accurate with its calorie burn estimation. My predicted weight loss is almost spot on with my actual loss (I use an Excel spreadsheet with my Fitbit and MFP data and my measurements to track my progress).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    hazleyes81 wrote: »
    As far as I know, FDA doesn't need to approve a tracker because it is not a food, drug, or medical device. The bodymedia CORE armband was a strange exception.

^This.

There is a new Jawbone band coming out that is supposed to incorporate the same technology body media used.

Fitbit Surge - HR sensor, GPS, Sleep tracking, etc
    Fitbit ChargeHR - HR sensor, Sleep tracking,etc
    Microsoft Band - HR sensor, GPS, Sleep tracking, etc
    Basis Peak - HR sensor, Galvin Skin Response, Skin Temperature, Sleep Tracking, etc
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I love my new Jawbone up24!
  • saraarassara
    Options
    I loooved my Body Media fit until it died, that and wearing on my upper arm was weird, but its data was so good. I tried the Jawbone up24 for a month and hated it. It was so inaccurate and I'd still have to manually log workouts and set it to sleep mode. So I returned it. I'm tempted by the Jawbone up3 or the Fitbit surge. And I could have sworn someone posted another one along those lines (not basis peak) that I wanted but haven't been able to track down the link. I'm really hoping that the Up3 will be as good as the body media was since its using the same technology and algorithms.