Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Battling the Bloat: Goodbye Gluten

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the site & also newly diagnosed with Celiac disease. Going 100% gluten free for 2015 & just wondering if anyone here has noticed a significant reduction in bloat after going gluten free. And if so, how long before you noticed a significant difference in your physical and emotional wellbeing?

Thanks guys

Replies

• Hi, I'm not a coeliac but I have gone gluten free as I find gluten upsets me. I've been gluten free since January 1st 2015 and I feel amazing already although finding lunch time meals is still a struggle for me seen as bread is out the question.
  • phreakmagnet
    phreakmagnet Posts: 10
    edited January 2015
    @katherine_rockett‌ - do you happen to remember approximately how long it took before you started feeling better?
  • madlynn2
    madlynn2 Posts: 22 Member
    I have been gluten free since June and I did not notice any difference. I am gluten-intolerant, hypothyroid/hashimotos, lyme.. The only difference I see is less heartburn.
  • @madlynn2‌ - you didn't notice any difference in bloating? That's disappointing- I just want more energy (I am hypothyroid as well) and less stomach pain and bloating.
  • ebuehler00
    ebuehler00 Posts: 1 Member
    Also celiac and been completely gluten free for 4 yrs. personally I noticed a significant difference after I went GF. For me I felt like a completely different person by a month in. In addition to the obvious GF diet outcomes, I also experienced more energy, weight loss, over all better health. Stay with it and you may be surprised :) Gf and exercise is a great combo.
  • @phreakmagnet‌ I felt a difference within a couple of days, I notice a few people have mentioned a thyroid issue to, mines hyper rather than hypo but I haven't experienced the weight loss that many who are hyper have. I almost presented as hypo with my weight.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Been GF since November. Totally fixed my bloating, cramps, excessive gas problem. Won't go back. Can tell difference immediately if I have something with gluten.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2015
    I was diagnosed as Coeliac back in October 2014, it's a learning curve - it'll take you a while to completely get your head round it, but just be very careful and label smart.... At first you might feel a bit overwhelmed by all the things (you wouldn't expect) that contain gluten, but just read everything, research and you'll not go far wrong.

I'm from the UK and Tesco has a good selection of Free From products, as does Holland & Barrett - but obviously it depends where in the world you're from as to how easy the transition will be for you.

I would say that it took me a couple of days to notice any real changes, less bloating, less tiredness and generally feeling brighter and more alert, although I do have to take extra care with my fibre intake nowadays, because the gluten free diet can be a little constipating at times, for me anyway.

Please feel free to ask me questions if you want to, I'm online most days.

xXx

• This is all great information- thank you all so much! I will be reaching out again as I'm sure I will have more questions as time progresses. Thanks all <3
  • madlynn2
    madlynn2 Posts: 22 Member
    At the time of going GF I was also on 6 months of Lyme antibiotics which had bad side effects so didn't notice any changes from GF.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    I tried GF for a couple of months but had complete constipation and had to quit because that was causing me other issues like abdominal pains & stomach distention, even went to the ER. How do you do GF and not have other problems?
  • misschiplash78
    misschiplash78 Posts: 23 Member
    Having coeliac affects your ability to absorb iron which has a massive effect on your energy levels. It will take a while (100% gluten free as you mentioned) to get your iron stores up (1-2 months), a liquid iron supplement may help without the effects (constipation/bloating) you might otherwise experience from a pill form of iron supplementation.
  • Having coeliac affects your ability to absorb iron which has a massive effect on your energy levels. It will take a while (100% gluten free as you mentioned) to get your iron stores up (1-2 months), a liquid iron supplement may help without the effects (constipation/bloating) you might otherwise experience from a pill form of iron supplementation.

Thank you!