Best way to curb sugar cravings

Options
Just curious if anyone had any advice on resisting sugar. Thanks!

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Eat something with sugar in it? Make it fit your calories?
  • kaytea83210
    Options
    I've tried, and then I go overboard... The struggle is real
  • AniyahsMommy324
    AniyahsMommy324 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @kaytea83210‌ I'm having this problem too, and I find it's much harder if I completely try and eliminate it all at once. So I allow myself to have something that fits in my calories if I'm craving something. Then I don't feel deprived
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Frankly, the easiest way for me to stop craving sugar is to simply stop eating it altogether. I replace sweet things with salty or savory things and after a couple of days I don't even want the sweet things anymore. So snacks become things like popcorn, crunchy veggies (plain or dipped in hummus or a dip made with Greek yogurt), a handful of nuts, string cheese, unsweetened cereal (Kix, Cheerios, Chex), etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day and include a treat in there. I have something yummy at least once a day.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If, for now, you truly can't moderate your intake without going overboard and can't find a treat that contains sugar that you can be moderate with, try a small portion of something fatty like a teaspoon (weigh this) of nut butter or an ounce of really sharp cheese. They will usually cut a craving for something sweet.

Later on you might find that not all sweet foods trigger a free-for-all for you and you can be moderate with your intake and add them back to your diet. I personally love dark chocolate every now and then and can be perfectly satisfied with a small 40 calorie portion then walk away. I'm sure you'll be able to find some treats that you can fit into your meal plans as well.

The whole idea is to find yourself eating in a way that's sustainable and enjoyable. Total deprivation is neither of those things.
  • kaytea83210
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate all the feedback and tips.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat a spoonful of ice cream when I want sugar. It's more fat I want and then the sweet. I'm good with one spoonful - especially a really rich one. I just log it. It's nothing.

I also have 1/4 cup of ice cream every night for desert. Same reason.

And I don't do hardly any sugar for anything else except coffee. The more sugar I eat the more I want.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Frankly, the easiest way for me to stop craving sugar is to simply stop eating it altogether. I replace sweet things with salty or savory things and after a couple of days I don't even want the sweet things anymore. So snacks become things like popcorn, crunchy veggies (plain or dipped in hummus or a dip made with Greek yogurt), a handful of nuts, string cheese, unsweetened cereal (Kix, Cheerios, Chex), etc.

After a lifetime of sugar going 'cold turkey' on added sugar foods was the only thing that worked for me. After a couple of hellish weeks the cravings faded but the memory is still there but I can deal memories unlike the craving.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eat it at a planned time and with (or close in time to) other foods? That's what usually works for me.

For example, if I set a time for a snack or planned meal+dessert I'll generally just have what I planned. (I'm taking a break from desserts at the moment but had half a cup of ice cream as a post dinner dessert probably more often than not last year and lost lots of weight.) If I decide it's okay to nibble throughout the day but just tell myself not to have too much I'm much more likely to end up overeating because it lends itself more to mindless eating.

But strategies like that are going to depend on you.
  • 963Nitro
    963Nitro Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of pineapple... I know it has sugar, but it satisfies my cravings and is way better then ice cream!
  • KMCbluestar
    KMCbluestar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try to drink a glass of water before eating sweets, it fills your stomach up before eating anything so that way you don't eat as much. Helps me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need every day and that your calorie deficit is not a too big.
    Eat a varied diet including delicious foods you like.
    Either have a small treat every day, or reserve treats for special occasions.
    Find something to do that is incompatible with eating.
    Avoid exposure to treats as much as you can, until you feel you are more in charge.
  • sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The best for me is virtually cold turkey also. I'm on day 4 and doing better every day. I've been moody as hell though! :) I really fell off the wagon, and was eating hard candy a lot, and 2 tablespoons in my coffee .... and I drink like 5 cups a day! I've been at or under the sugars on my daily logging, with most sugars coming from fruit or the milk in my coffee.
  • karynimrie
    karynimrie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i get a sugar craving at night...I try to eat a salty snack, pickle, olive, and if it doesnt work I eat a spoonful of peanut or almond butter or a square of dark chocolate......it does the trick!
  • Helen468
    Options
    Keep some chocolate mousses in the fridge. When im craving sugar / chocolate (most days) having one of those does the trick for me and not too many calories!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Pre-log your day and include a treat in there. I have something yummy at least once a day.

this, i pre-log my day the night before, adjust as i go
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

definitely this , being overly restrictive often leads to cravings imho

• kaytea83210
    Options
    I'm going to pre log and see how it works... Thanks everyone!!! You're the best!!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I find that individually portioned products can really help. I have one Ghirardelli chocolate square almost every day.