Spin Cycle Buy or Not?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
So I was thinking of getting a spin bicycle for the days I cant get out and I'm just sitting there watching TV. What do you guys think? Is it worth if? How effective is the exercise. I've done a spin class once and remember it being intense. The ideal of popping in ear phones listening to some heavy bass dub and just spinning really hard for 30 minutes watching TV is appealing.

Can any one suggest a good brand? I don't want to spend more than $400
Are there good brands for weighing 290lbs?
Do you want a heavy or light fly wheel?
I read an article that said it wasn't good for weight loss d/t muscle adaption. I know I don't have to worry about that now, but down the road?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    shameless bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the spin bike for HIIT type cardio on days when my body needs a break from the hard hitting stuff. If you're going to do it often enough to justify the outlay I totally say go for it. It's one of the better glycogen burning activites available. Pretty much every bike I've ever seen is rated at least to 300 pounds and I was close to that weight when I first started using them. No problems at all. Except for the breathing so hard that gym staff would check to see if I was okay thing.